We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

I have yet another question. Now we are debating between the May 15-19th time or around April 28th -May 3rd. Mostly because the hotels I was thinking about are unavailable for the May date. But, I noticed that there is a HUGE convention April 30-May 8th. How will that affect Disney crowds, resturants and hotels during that time? The hotels I prefer are available during that time, but I'm worried about the convention issues. Is it better to avoid the convention times and stay at a less desirable hotel, or stay where we want to stay during a huge convention (30,000 people from what it says on the convention boards...)

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

Brenda: I am just arranging a trip for May 16-22 and had no problems finding rooms. Where are you looking? Park Vue, Fairfield, Cordova, and several others had vacancies.

Seattle
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

I was looking at Howard Johnson as my first choice and Fairfield as my second choice. I'm going through Alaska Air vacations because, with the kids fly free, it is BY FAR our cheapest option. Maybe they only have a certain number of rooms at those hotels for these packages????

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

The convention is the California Dental Association, this is the type of group that will spend most of its time at the convention.

It will fill up hotel rooms, and the restaurants will be busier, including those at Downtown Disney, but shouldn't have a major impact on the Theme Parks.

On the other hand, the May 19th Press event at Disneyland will play havoc with the parks, including a week or two of blocked views and tight pathways.

I would pick the April 28th dates, not sure which hotel you want to stay at, of course, the hotels near the Convention Center (Hilton, Marriott, etc..) will be busier than others.

Seattle
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

Thanks so much Darkbeer-I think we will try to work it out for the end of April/beginning of May because of the Pirates premier events. I appreciate the great advice from you and everyone else on this board!

Burbank
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

I work at the parks and can say that the conventions hardly seem to affect the parks much. Don't know about the hotels. I do know though, that you are heading into Spring Breakish times. That may come into play. The parks haven't been as busy this year. The Year of a Million Dreams campaign hasn't drawn in as many folks as last years endless 50th birthday celebration. I think alot of people came then so you may be in luck. Also, I've heard word around the rumor mill that Pirates won't be premiering at DL like it did last year. That ride will have a surge in wait times when the movie comes out, but right now, alot of rides are walk ons. Hope this helps. And also, if you get the park hopper pass, you can float between the two. Cali Adventure, lets be honest here, is never THAT crowded. And the new addition to Red Hot Chili Peppers to Screamin' is pretty rad. Look for PUSH the talking trash can in CA ADV.

Seattle
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

Thanks for the information!! I was hoping that the April 28th -May 3rd dates would be late enough to avoid the Spring break crowds...but will Spring Break still be going on for some school districts that late??? Do you think that will be an issue that late in the season? Thanks again.

Burbank
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

You may have a few stragglers but not too many. I'm sorry you had a such a bad experience with the cast members on you last trip. Don't get me started. I could tell you horror stories about why you had a bad trip. It really makes me sad sometimes. I've worked for Disney since 98 and I've worked all over the world for them in the parks. I've worked in 7 of them! The company's really changing. I'm glad they made it up to you. I'm sure this trip will be better!

Seattle
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

Hi-

Thanks for your thoughtful message...but it wasn't me that had a bad experience at Disneyland (I did read about it on another post, but I forgot who it was that had the trouble). In fact, I haven't been to Disneyland in about 15+ years and my husband and kids have never been. So, hopefully, we will not have that experience that you talked about. I'm sure with conscientious employees like you, we'll have a great time! Thanks again.

9. Re: Huge convention 30,000 - local help please!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, August 27, 2009