We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff to Anaheim - Drive or Fly?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff to Anaheim - Drive or Fly?

Need to get from Flagstaff to Anaheim with 2 adults + 2 children. We will have a hire car in Flagstaff and will also want one once we get to Anaheim. Would we be better off driving to Anaheim and keeping our rental? Alternatively, we could drive down to Phoenix, drop off the rental, fly to a local Anaheim airport, then hire another car.

The reason we wanted to keep the car and drive was so that we could keep the snacks, drinks, souvenirs, etc that we will have accumulated over the journey to date and not have to completely pack up for a flight and dispose of the food. (We will have already been travelling around for about 3 weeks prior and thought that being organised with snacks might save some money at Disneyland, etc) Also, we were interested to check out the Oatman/Topock drive along the way. MapQuest has the drive at about 6.5 hours, but with the Oatman diversion I guess it would be more like 8 hours without stops. Does that sound accurate? We are tempted to drive because then we are more independant along the way and don't have the hassle of changing cars and catching flights. Also, by the time we drive down to Phoenix, arrive early for the flight, take into account flight time, hiring a new car and driving to accommodation, we could be almost to Anaheim anyway.

Any thoughts on my dilemma would be much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flagstaff to Anaheim - Drive or Fly?

I have already done extensive research and have our itinerary and routes planned. I only asked about going via Las Vegas because of Cynda's post regarding the drive to Anaheim - I thought that she was saying that the best way was to go was via Vegas, but as I already mentioned, I had us going on the I40. Just checking if there was any local knowledge that I hadn't uncovered in my many hours reading posts on Trip Advisor.

Mentioned in this post
BRISBANE
Level Contributor
209 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flagstaff to Anaheim - Drive or Fly?

Is the drive between Flagstaff and Anaheim usually OK in December?

13. Re: Flagstaff to Anaheim - Drive or Fly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 26, 2009