We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

We are travelling with the kids (ages 4 & 10). Is 4 days (and nights) really enough to see all the attractions in Disney's 2 parks? We are limited for time and have to cram in other places but don't want to run out of time either and miss some attractions

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

When are you going? That's the most important information to know. Holiday times make for bigger crowds, and some people have said about queues of 2 hours or more, and fastpass machines running out. Then there are off peak times when you don't even need to queue for rides, but there is the "risk" that some rides are closed for maitenance, and you just have to bear it. 4 days even in busy times may be enough, and if you're pushed for time, you should still get to see a lot, with a bit of patience. If you're going in busy times, make a plan to see the things that are important to your family, and concentrate on them, then see other things if you have spare time. (Borrow The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland from your library- it's great. Worth buying if you think you will be back again sometime.) We were there in Sept this year, during Victorian school holidays, and except for Haunted Mansion being closed every year that time (Matterhorn and Monorail were too, but that isn't yearly) we saw everything we wanted and more. Remember that your 4yo may like different things that your 10yo will, so you may have to spread yourself around. Our boys were closer in age to each other.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

I think it's plenty. We go to both parks in a day and a half, but we know our way around. If it is your first time, then two days in Disney gives you a good chance at doing everything. I think, personally, you can do California adventures in one day, however you may want two days. Make sure to see the Aladdin show there, and take the kids to Turtle Talk with Crush. That leaves you a day for enjoying downtown disney , and going back to the parks for last minute 2nd or third rides on things they really enjoyed.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

Agree completely with Crickets.

If you're going midweek in January or Feb, (which I completely recommend), you'll have a pleasant experience without the criminally-high levels of crowding. I've been there during high crowds and I've literally not been able to move.

On the light crowd days, I think 2 days total would be plenty. I can't imagine spending four days there.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

Cynda's right- make sure you see Turtle Talk in DCA- both your kids should LOVE it. Try and help them sit down the front. I found it to be pretty awesome myself- very interactive.

One more thing I've thought of in the meantime. With the age gap with your kids, make sure the 10yo gets to see whatever he/she really wants, as he/she will remember it so much more. Your 4yo has more chance of getting back while still young, and can be the decider that time! The 4yo won't miss out on any exciting stuff, don't you worry. (And consider the Snow White ride carefully- we felt it was a bit dark and scary for really young ones, yet that's who it's aimed at.)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,099 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

I remember reading in a recent post that a three day park hopper ticket is just a few dollars more than a two day. I would go for three days and maybe use a fourth day for settling in and visiting DTD.

As Crickets said, the most important thing to consider is when you are going. Honestly, no matter when it is I would not try to do Disneyland itself in just one day with kids. Especially when it is important to you to see as much as you can.

Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

Totally depends on your family. We spent 6 days between the two parks last December, and another 7 days last August. Granted they were busy times, but it gave us a chance to take in the entertainment and redo some favourite attractions. Coming from Australia, I assume you won't get back very often. So, yes, you can probably see everything major in 4 days (especially if its not a busy time), and yes its possible that you'll run out of time and miss a few things. We (myself and sons 9 and 14 on our August visit) certainly never found ourselves without things to do or see. I'm sure you know to go early, especially when "hitting" Fantasyland. Have an awesome time!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

And....if you run out of things to do, do something you wouldnt normally jump in and try! I grew up in southern California, and had never tried the Canoe's around the Rivers of America, until my own child was about 10 years old ! Another couple ideas that alot of people pass by....Go upstairs from Pirates of the Caribbean, and take the tour of Mr. Disney's apartment.....and on main street, go to the movie theater and watch Disney's first 50 years, and look at all the memorabilia from the the opening day at the park!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

I think 4 days is enough to see lots of things in Disneyland. Depending on which day you go will also determine what's available for you to see. We went for 4 days last November and we seen plenty, but it was also during the Thanksgiving week and during their 50th Anniversary. So there were longer park hours and there were plenty of times to catch the different shows, parades and there were fireworks every night. We are going back in March 2007and know that some things won't be the same, but there will still be plenty of things to see and do.

On the Disneyland webpage, there is a calender of events, if you put in the dates of your stay in Anaheim (I would say approx. a week or two before you go, you can even print it off), you will get to see the times for the different events like parades, fireworks, shows, park hours and can better plan your days. I think in off seasons there are fireworks only on the weekends, the Fantasmic show on weekends, shorter park hours through the week and I'm not sure if the parades run everyday, and if they do, sometimes there is only one a day where there is sometimes two a day on weekends (which you will want to get a good seat early to enjoy the parades and the fireworks).

I agree, the Aladdin show was awesome, our whole family enjoyed it. Also my girls (aged 4 & 8) really liked going through Mickey and Minnies houses in Toontown (a very interactive attraction for the kids), It's a Small World, Busslightyear Astroblasters (remember at the end when you are walking out to stop and see the picture they took of you and you can send it to your home email address).

And if you're up for paying for a Character meal the Princess luncheon at Ariel's Grotto was wonderful. There were 5 princesses that come out and stop at each table where you can get their autograph and a picture. There is also other character meals like Goofy's kitchen, Minnie & Friends Breakfast, Lilo and Stitch Aloha Breakfast, Chip'n Dale Criter Breakfast (you can read more about them as well on the Disneyland webpage under Dining), if you do the Character meal I highly recommend making a reservation or you may be disappointed with a long wait or possilbly not getting in at all.

I recommend buying the autograph books at Disneyland (about $10-12) because they work really well where they have the spot to insert the picture you take and on the opposite side of the page is the place for the autograph. Just do some searching around on the Disneyland website and you can find a lot of information.

Sorry this is so long, but it truely was a wonderful holiday and we can't wait to go back next year!!! :))

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. We will arrive in Anaheim on Friday 23rd March and plan to spend the Sat, Sun, Mon & Tues at Disneyland. Is this a quieter period?

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,099 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is 4 days really enough in disneyland???

Well, yes March should be a quieter period unless schools are out for "Spring Break" - somewhere around Easter. But, I don't think it would be as busy as summer or Christmas holidays season. Pirates may be closed then to add some ride enhancements and may not open again until mid May (or around the time of the release of the next "Pirates" movie).