We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to disneyland (help)

granite falls wa
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time to disneyland (help)

Hi we are going to DL for the first time May 23rd-28th We are staying at cal. grand and we have the 3day bonus hopper and I also have bought 1 character meal and I am thinking of doing the goofy's brkfst. buffet. My boys are 11 & 6 and I am just trying to find out if there is anything else I should reserve ahead of time or things to make sure that we do or see why we are there I have never been there and just want to make sure we know the shows etc. also we are trying to decide between going to SD to go to seaworld or if we should do universal studios Any help you can give to make our trip wonderful I would be forever appreciative. Thanks.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to disneyland (help)

you are gong to have fun sounds like a great trip, I would prefer sea world over universal. The thing to keep in mind is pacing yourself, early in the morning go on the big line rides and get your fast passes. You can ususally go through a couple of fast passes before the noon rush starts. Take a break in the afternoon, go to the pool or rest in the room. In the evening avoid the big lines and do the parades and maybe a little shopping. Also at that age you want to build up to the bigger thrill rides, I think they would love californa screaming and it is a very smooth ride but I wouldn't do it the first day, grizzly rapids, pirates of the caribbean and soaring would be good rides to start out on.

Southern California
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to disneyland (help)

Hi

Great message post. Grand California hotel is completely fantastic, be sure to dine in their fine restaurant one night, Napa Rose (it's dressier but kids are very welcome.) Also, the have great kids amenities, call the concierge now and ask about bunk beds, etc.

Goofy breakfast is fun but might be too juvenile for your kids. My best advice is to get into the park early and hit all the popular rides right away, huge difference in terms of lines later in the day. Then, mid-day you can hit the pool and come back for the Fantasmic show after dark and a fun dinner and some more rides. Your hotel is right inside the disney complex, super easy access. The mexican restaurant in Disney's Adventureland is terrific food, lovely patio. Also near your hotel, great fun and games at the ESPN Zone restaurant in Downtown Disney, the boys will love it. Also, in late May it gets foggy some nights, be sure to bring sweaters/jackets. SeaWorld is really fun but with boys your age you may want to consider the Wild Animal Park, they've got a great website. Good luck!