We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Hi everyone. Looking for some advise on rides. We are an adrenaline rush loving family heading to Disneyland in the next couple of days.

There are obviously rides that are hugely popular and we want to make the best use of the limited time in a day so looking for recommendations for a ride itinerary.

We have a three day hopper pass so suggestions for both parks would be great.

Thank you for your anticipated responses. The youngest is eight and tall so height is not normally a problem on most rides.

Boys are 11 and 8 and like the adult rides. The scarier the better!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
985 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

if you have a smartphone do a search for 'disneyland wait times" i know those apps exist in android and ios. other than that if the line is long and you don't mind riding as a single rider choose the single rider line. also you can use the rider reservation tickets

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Its really a personal choice, but Space Mountain, Star Tours, Big Thunder Railroad, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones & Haunted Mansion are our favourites at Disneyland and Tower of Terror, California Screamin, Toy Story Mania, Soarin over California, Grizzly river run & the Cars ride are our favourites at California Adventure. Have a wonderful trip!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,889 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Can you give us specific dates you are visiting? That make make some difference as far as how busy things might be vs a weekend, ect.

Not sure what a "rider reservation ticket" is that was mentioned, but, likley they are talking about the free Fastpass system at Disneyland which anyone can use. Rides with Fastpasses are offered on the busier rides that have the longer wait times usually. This is a good article on the Fastpass system at Disneyland and how to use it as well as a list of rides that have Fastpasses.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

That first few hours after Park opening time is the least busy time at Disneyland, so its a good idea to take advantage of that and do the busier rides then or pick up a Fastpass for later.

First though I would suggest looking through the Disneyland.com website with your family to see what rides ect may interest your family most and getting some idea of what rides are most important to you.

And become familiar with both Park somewhat where things are located. Here is the Maps for both Parks, a smaller version is available at the Turnstiles to each Park.

…go.com/media/dlr_nextgen/SiteCatalog/PDF/Di…

…go.com/media/dlr_nextgen/SiteCatalog/PDF/Di…

When Disneyland Park gets busy in the afternoon, then its usually suggested to hop over to California Adventure Park which is usually less busy for a while.

For Disneyland Park, Indiana Jones usually has longer lines, and you should either pick up a Fastpass for that ride, or ride the ride first if you are into more intense rides. Space Mountain, Star Tours, Big Thunder Railroad. should also be done in the morning hours, and/or picking up a Fastpass when available. Later at night there is often a small line for Splash Mountain and it can be ridden multiple times, but keep in mind you can get pretty wet on the ride.

For California Adventure Park, Radiator Springs Racer still commands the longest wait times usually in both Parks. So I would suggest doing that first on one of your days with the single rider option which has the least wait times, if you are willing to ride the ride alone, or picking up a Fastpass first thing into the Park. California Screamin, Soarin over California, and Tower of Terror are all popular rides with Fastpasses, so those should also be done in that first few hours after Park opening time. Grizzley River Run is also likely to be quite popular for your visit, but bear in mind alot of people get soaked on that ride, so its nice to cool off, but only if you are prepared to get soaking wet possibly.

If you are interested in Toy Story Mania, its a popular ride with no Fastpass, so that should be done as early as possible.

You could also purchase something like Ridemax which is inexpensive as is helpful for planning your time in the Park.

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Thank you all. That's great information.

We are going for three days starting tomorrow on a hopper pass. I am taking on board your suggestions

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Have you been to Disneyland Resort Parks before? If not, I would suggest holding back a bit on your A-rush on the morning of your first day in Disneyland Park, just long enough to ride the Disneyland Railroad that encircles the park. It is a good introduction to the park and its themed areas and a nice way to feel welcomed there. A full circle ride will take about 20 minutes, but for your family I might recommend you exit at the Tomorrowland station (the third station after Main Street) instead of exiting at Main Street station. That would put you close to Space Mt.

This is the order in the morning that has worked well for me. Space Mt., Matterhorn, Big Thunder Railroad, and Pirates. Indiana Jones has Fast Pass, so I would pick up those up right before going to Pirates. Then after Indy go to Splash Mt. for Fast Passes there. If you look at the bottom of your Fast Passes it will say when you can get another one. You might want lunch around this time.

In actuality, just because a ride has an A-rush reputation that doesn't mean another ride might be more popular. For instance, Pirates is a pretty calm ride after you get past the initial waterfalls that take you down into the main story portoin. But it is a ride that is necessary to do early in the summer because of its popularity. It will develop a long line in the early afternoon that will not usually let up . And that is standing out in the sun. Jungle Cruise is a Disneyland classic and has no thrills. But it develops long and winding lines quickly.

Rides with queues that are out in the sun are good to go on in the morning or at night. Matterhorn, Pirates, Haunted Mansion (really good near park closing).

For Space Mt. and Indy Fast Pass is a must, unless you ride early. The Stand By lines get crazy long and wind outside.

In DCA, ride the Mickey's Fun Wheel, a very tall Ferris Wheel, in one of the swinging cages if you want some thrills you never would have thought of, plus great views. I don't know what time is best, but the swinging cages are a lot less popular than the stationary ones. The ride will close sometime before the World of Color show in preparation for it. You will enjoy California Screamin' coaster and Tower of Terror.

You might want to look at Ridemax for a personalized ride itinerary.

I will be at Disneyland Park this Saturday!

Edited: 8:19 pm, August 18, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,889 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Crowds should be somewhat manageable for your dates since some Schools have started back in session, and you are not visiting on a weekend day. However, the local Annual Passholders are now unblocked, so they can visit, so there stll may be more crowds than at a quiet time. Touring Plans is predicting about a 5 out of 10 for your dates though.

Everyone has a different style when Visiting Disneyland, so its up to you what you may want to choose, but I would suggest waiting to ride the Railroad when it gets hot, and you want a rest vs using up precious early morning hours on that.

Its likely to be hot at Disneyland for part of the day at least. Heres some info on ways to keep cool at Disneyland ( reply #3 of this thread).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k396843…

Keep in mind you can request a CUP of water with ice for free at any of the counter service restaurants if you specify you want a CUP.

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
104 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Hi

You and your family must be pretty excited about now!! Our family tradition at Disneyland Park is upon arrival we head down Main Street turn left into Adventureland and our first ride of the day is always Indiana Jones, (believe me you wont ride it just once) your kids ages and love of fast fun rides are perfect!!

Enjoy your trip

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Get a fast pass for Radiator Springs (cars ride) as soon as you get to California Adventure :)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
340 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Straight to Space Mountain for my kids of a similar age.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What rides should I head to first at disneyland?

Try doing "Rope Drop". The parks usually open the entrances about a half an hour ear!ier than official opening time and have ropes across from the main areas with the rides. They drop the ropes at official opening, during which they have a nice welcome announcement and play happy Disney music. That will put you a little ahead of the guests coming in the park at official opening and you might have a fun time feeling that rush to get to the rides.

For example, you can get into Disneyland's Main Street early, walk all the way up to the central plaza that is between the lands (known as the Hub), wait behind the ropes there, then when the cast members drop the ropes, head straight to Space Mt.

For DCA Park, you enter Buena Vista straight after going through the turnstile, then there are roped off areas to look for according to where you want to go. You might want to head to Cars Land for Radiator Springs Racers. According to a very recent video trip report I recently saw, they are no longing offering a separate early Fast Pass Line for the Racers. Everyone just goes to the roped off place at the entrance to Cars Land and at Rope Drop they can either head to a line for Fast Pass or straight to the Stand By or Single Rider line for the ride.

Edited: 11:07 am, August 19, 2014