We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls!

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls!

The toll violation notice I have just received has prompted me to post this information.

There are a number of state roads in Orange County which are toll roads and they have just moved to a system where you can no longer pay cash at a toll booth. For international tourists this is a bit of a nightmare. You have to go online within 48 hours of using a toll road to pay the toll but the website does not accept non-US addresses or telephone numbers. I had to resolve this by paying over the telephone but these same issues arose and it took a 35 minute international call to deal with something that should have been simple.

It is worth international tourists trying to set up an account before they leave home so that you can just log in an add your licence plate details once you arrive. Then you don't need to got through the hassle of calling to pay your toll each time.

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls!

P.S. Some car rental companies (e.g. Avis) have toll transponders in their cars but others (e.g. Hertz) do not. This may make a difference to which car you choose to rent.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls!

Yes, this new "system" is completely crazy...... I would make the companies who run the toll roads maintain one booth at least for cash customers. Those companies voluntarily built the toll roads and now that they aren't paying off the returns they promised they are cutting service.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls!

I just don't use the toll roads at all! Not worth it to me.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,983 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls!

Stay away from the toll roads. They are great for daily commuters and if one is in a rush. Car rental companies offer transponders if one needs them or one has to read the rules and pay. It is very easy to go all over CA for visitors and not have to pay toll. It is 100 percent possible in SoCal and in NorCal, the bridges have tolls and MOST of them EXCEPT ONE (GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE) accepts Cash.

5. Re: Tolls!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:07 pm, June 10, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,380 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls!

I have never had to use toll roads when traveling all around LA and Southern California for years. Its extremely easy Imo to avoid them. I just dont think its an issue at all Imo.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls!

I agree with Happy. It's extremely easy to travel to anywhere in southern california without going on a toll road. (I've never taken a toll road). Simply plan ahead. Online mapping sites will tell you that a road requires a toll and there are options, at these sites, to provide routes to you that exclude all toll roads.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,958 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls!

I use the toll roads all the time as does the of my family and in general I'd say yes, visitors should avoid them, but in Joanna's case they were the Newport Coast Villas (or Pelican Hill, I forget which) and in that case the 73 is very helpful.

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls!

We were at Pelican Hill.

It's not the principle of paying tolls that troubles me (on top of $1,000+ per night at PH that is irrelevant!). It is the fact that the One Time Toll website does not accept non-US billing addresses making it impossible for international visitors to use. I have written to them to alert them to the issue and hopefully they can change it.

I can now see that there there were non-toll routes that we could have used but when trying to get from Newport Beach to Disneyland in rush hour in time for rope drop we were keen to use the most direct route which seems to be the 73.

Have a great day everyone!

Monterey Bay...
Level Contributor
900 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolls!

Our GPS placed us on a toll road (think it was 73) when we were in the OC a couple of weeks ago. We had passed a few transponders before we realized it was entirely a toll road. It would have been an OK mistake if the road to Laguna wasn't backed up to 73, so we got off and headed in another direction.....$6+ mistake.

It was frustrating to have to pay in 48 hours, and I failed to do so. It's ridiculous system, especially for an International Traveler. I feel your pain JoLo.