We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moruya, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

Hi,

This January I'm returning to Disneyland with my wife, children and grandsons (4 & 6), 25 years after the 1st visit and this is what we have planned so far.

Sunday, Fly into LAX at 09.30. Take Super Shuttle to HoJo's where we are booked in for 5 nights.

Monday, Take Graylines tour of Universal Studios.

Tues, Wed & Thurs, visit Disneyland and California Adventure with 3 day park hopper tickets

Friday, Check out of HoJo's and take a hire car to Las Vegas where we will be witnessing our daughter and son-in-law renew there marriage vows....amongst other things.

So, what do you think? Can you offer more/other suggestions that may improve our visit.

Cheers,

Rob

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,182 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

I might reconsider taking a 4 and 6 year old to Universal Studios. Theres alot they either can do, or may be too scary or intense for them.

If you going to take a daytrip, then I might suggest a day tour to Legoland or something like that.

With young children you are going to need a rest day inbetween some Theme Park time. Its just too much usually for more than a few days at a time. So I would suggest a day in between to rest and play by the pool, or something like that.

Make sure you have a stroller large enough to fit the 6 year old as well as the 4 year old. They will both need it, and unlikely they or you are going to last long with all the walking around your doing without one. I sometimes see alot of older Children begging thier parents to ride on a stroller with no room for them unfortunately.

Hojos is a well rated nice Hotel, and has a nice pool area which would be fun to use on that day off. Either the day off, or getting a longer Parkhopper ticket so you can take things at a much slower pace makes sense in this case Imo.

Edited: 1:03 am, April 09, 2014
Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

I agree with happytotrip, a 4 and 6 year old is too young for Universal studios. I wanted to take my 7 yr.old grand daughter too but after doing a lot of research I decided against it. We will wait till she's about 10. I think Legoland would be perfect or add another day to Disneyland.

Moruya, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

Thank You "happytotrip" and "cmkaawa". This is the sort of stuff I wanted to hear. Much appreciated.

Any More?

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

I think HTT meant to say there is NOT a lot they can do at Universal. If the adults want to do it, of course go. But just know that there is not a lot for little kids. A day at Legoland would be a much better day for the kids. That park is designed with small children in mind, tons to do and fun for adults too!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

I also agree, take them to Legoland or maybe consider Knott's Berry Farm, which you should be able to reach by bus from Anaheim - for Legoland you need a rental car or a tour.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

Also agree about Universal. I'll add I think you should go to Disneyland ASAP, you'll be right across the street, and having to tell the kids " There it is! but we're not going for 2 more days!" seems a little mean.

I know my family, we have to go right after we check in, no matte what time of day it is. In February we arrived on a Thursday about 3:30 in the afternoon, and still had to go immediately.....

Moruya, Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

Thanks again folks.

I should add that we grandparents are going to Universal by ourselves, leaving the children & grandchildren to get over their jetlag their own way. There was some talk about them going to Legoland, but I've heard nothing further on that.

Having flown to the USofA 5 times before, I know that Jetlag is a considerable problem for us traveling from Australia and we all want to have the bulk of it behind us before we get to Disneyland. Thereby saving the best till last.

However, there are still 9 months for us to massage this itinerary into being as close to perfect for us as possible and your advice here will help us to achieve that.

Again, THANK YOU all for your advice, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,182 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

It would also be helpful for you to tell us your dates you may be visiting. We can tell you how busy it may be, and some dates you may want to avoid if possible. As there are a few larger events in Jan.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

Universal Studios will be opening up a new area Saturday, a movie ride (40" minimum) called Minion Mayhem based on the Despicable Me movies, and Super Silly Fun Land, a playground for kids.

universalstudioshollywood.com/attractions/…

There is also a fairly new play area called Dino Land on the lower lot.

Of course, a lot of character interaction, such as the Minions, Curious George and other kid favorites.

A Shrek 4-D movie, the Animal Actors Stage and much more. You also have the Child Switch option for those too short or don't want to ride, these special waiting areas are themed and entertaining.

Universal has been addressing the complaints about not enough for younger kids to do, and has responded very well. A new Simpson Land near the Simpson Ride is being built, and Harry Potter is coming in 2016.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,815 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our itinerary. Your criticisms....and suggestions please.

I too would skip Universal, even if it is just the adults.

Consider going to Disneyland on Monday and then do an activity like Knott's or even a beach day on Tuesday and then return to Disneyland the last two days.