We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travellers cheques

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chinchilla...
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
travellers cheques

hi are travellers cheques still accepted everywhere??? I have had bad luck with the cash cards in the past overseas and thought this time maybe I go back to the cheques,,,, does anyone know if they are still accepted with a drivers licence as id ta for your help again paula

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travellers cheques

Not "every place", but major places like Disneyland, your hotel, major stores and probably at grocery stores. I think in smaller shops and restaurants, you'd be challenged.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,513 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travellers cheques

If you have an ATM card, turn it over and look at the back. If it lists any of the following networks on it, then you should have no problem using it in the U.S.:

Visa/Plus, Star, MasterCard/Cirrus/Maestro, Access 24, Instant Teller

There are many, many, many ATM's in L.A. and the networks that each ATM belongs to is plainly shown on the ATM. You shouldn't have any problem.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travellers cheques

We take US cash and then use our 28 Degree MasterCard for any major purchases. Ie Hotel, meals, shopping etc. There is no International conversion fees and the rate is pretty good.

We just kept our cash in the hotel safe. Most places accept credit card, it's just nice to have cash for smaller purchases.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travellers cheques

We have used travelers cheques all over Disneyland and the major stores and restaurant's , though I have only ever used my passport as i.d. not sure if they will accept an Australian drivers licenses as proof of i.d.

The prepaid cash cards do come with very high fees and not all Australian banks give a very good exchange rate on credit cards, you can often get a much better rate buying cash or travelles cheques if you shop around.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travellers cheques

I have always only used drivers licence for ID with travellers cheques.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travellers cheques

Last time we used TC was 1996. Now it's all atm and cc.

Chinchilla...
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travellers cheques

those cash cards I have had problems with ,by not able to access my money at atms or in the shops it has happened twice now and friends of mine went to Ireland and had the same problem with there card it was a good thing I had my mastercard but that cost me when I got back so I thought this time I would use tc and take some ready cash with me but thanks for the replys paula

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: travellers cheques

Paula, did you notify your bank you would be traveling? I always let my bank and credit card companies know what dates I am traveling and what country. My cc's got frozen one year, fortunately I had a backup card from another bank.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travellers cheques

Actually even large businesses now refuse travelers cheques. They are pretty worthless, IMO.

Yes tell your bank you will be traveling and get a new pass code if necessary.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travellers cheques

To be truthful the day of the traveller's cheque has come and gone. They are so rarely seen that you're likely to get the same reaction handing one to someone as you would handing them a stone tablet.

You'll have a much easier time with a Debit card of some sort. But follow the advice in reply #2 for logos on the card and reply #8 re: notifying your bank about your travel.