We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with kiddies.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
106 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with kiddies.

Hey guys,

Just want to know what families do after long haul flights? Our flight arrives in LAX at 630 am after a 14 hr flight from brisbane.

We are heading straight to anahiem. I am guessing we would get there around 9-10am. Should we

A) book out a hotel for the previous nite so we can go rest or

b) leave our luggage at hotel and go play til able to check in. (4pm)

Mainly want to hear what other families do? How do your kids handle the jetlag?

Thanks heaps

Ps my kids are 9,7 & 18mth

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,408 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with kiddies.

I don't know what families do, but I have done that flight, round trip. I would book the hotel for the night before and take my kiddies directly to bed (well I might feed them first :~) That is a brutal flight. Just my opinion.

Chinchilla...
Level Contributor
414 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with kiddies.

our kids were 10 and 12 when we went and they handled the jet lag better than us we couldn't check in til late so we dropped our bags at the hotel and they put them in storage, then we went to downtown Disney and let them soak up the atsmophere of Disneyland and California adventure park from the outside got a bite to eat and let them wander round the shops, then we went grocery shopping down on harbor bld I think it was vons they had a ball would you belive in a supermarket. by the time we got back our room was ready and they changed and went swimming until late arvo then we had dinner and by then we were all tired and were in bed by 8pm ready to hit Disneyland early next morning, you will have a ball just relax and enjoy paula

United States
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with kiddies.

If u have that 10 day Disneyland pass (still available?)& don't plan on using all the days I'd go to disneyland first thing in the morning when the park is quiet just for an hour or two. If you're too tired then I'd go back to room or something.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with kiddies.

From our experience with a 6 year old who got very little sleep on the flight from Melbourne we struggled to get through the arrival without a hotel room available straight away. I think if we had a room booked for the night before we could have freshened up and then we would have gone to the Parks until 3, early dinner and then sleep.

This is what we have planned for our next trip.

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with kiddies.

We have arranged an early (10am) check in with our hotel (Ayres). Well worth the extra $30. We are doing the same BNE - LAX flight with a 6 yr old. Our plan is to check in then spend the day at Disney with an early dinner and bed.

gold coast,australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with kiddies.

When we went last yr our kids were 11 and 4 , we booked the hotel from the night before, we arrived into LA the same time as you and got to Anaheim about 9.30 I think, had a sleep for a couple of hrs, freshed up, got food supplies, early tea, early night, then a early start the next morning, we had already told the kids we weren't going to Disneyland the day we arrived and they were good about that, have a great holiday.

Edited: 5:58 am, March 22, 2014
gold coast,australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with kiddies.

When we went last yr our kids were 11 and 4 , we booked the hotel from the night before, we arrived into LA the same time as you and got to Anaheim about 9.30 I think, had a sleep for a couple of hrs, freshened up, got food supplies, early tea, early night, then a early start the next morning, we had already told the kids we weren't going to Disneyland the day we arrived and they were good about that, have a great holiday.

Edited: 5:59 am, March 22, 2014
London
Level Contributor
236 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with kiddies.

I'd give yourself the maximum flexibility and then play it by ear. We are doing the opposite journey - 12 hours east to west - so we arrive late at night and I have no plans for the following day except to relax and prepare to hit the parks the next day.

melbourne
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with kiddies.

We have gone to Disneyland on the first day both times. We flew from Melbourne and arrived about 8am. We were at out hotel and either checked in straight away (Hojo), or left our bags at the hotel (Park Vue Inn). We had something to eat then headed into the parks with no expectations. We took the train around the park (both times), then just wandered. Our first trip we were extremely lucky and got offered fast passes to ride Splash by someone who was leaving the park. We had a great day.

The next trip wasnt as great. After the train the kids wanted to ride something. I think we rode The Pooh bear ride and that was about it. It was extremely busy and a Grad night. We left at about 3pm.

We do not like to sleep when we arrive and have woken the next day feeling great.

california
Level Contributor
960 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with kiddies.

I do better after a long overnight flight if I do NOT sleep when I arrive. Better to soldier through and go to bed at 5:00pm. We traveled to Paris with our kids at ages 4, 7 and 9 (from CA). We actually flew to London, then took the train to Paris (Eurostar). Then transferred in Paris to the metro and headed out to our hotel (near Paris Disneyland). I think everyone napped on the Eurostar. When we finally got out to Bailly, we went and had a very late dinner (10pm) and went to bed after midnight. We did not wake up til noon the next day. So my point is, maybe a nap when you get there, especially for the 18 month old, would be a good thing. As an adult, that is not my choice. But for a child, it might be a better one. You can head to the parks around 2:00 and take the train ride, get a good feel for the place and figure out what you want to do the next day. Maybe you'd even find a fast pass or two to use.

Have a great trip.