We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

We are a family of 3 adults, 4 children (one child will be 3 months old). Travelling from Australia. We will be staying in Anaheim in September 2014. Wanting to hire a vehicle but worried about how to restrain the baby. We can bring our own baby capsule but as it is Australian we are not sure if we can use it in USA. Any advice would be appreciated please.

Thanks in advance.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

Are the other 3 children over 8 years old, or they will need booster seats or car seats too.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/safeseat.html

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

You should be able to rent your car seats through your car rental agency. Check with your agency prior to arrival as early reservation is helpful. Be prepared to install them yourself. Read their websites for full information and options, contact them directly with your question about using your own "capsule".

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

CAnative thanks for the information. However I can't open that website for some reason. Have tried Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. The other 3 children are 10, 7 and 5 so thanks will need 2 booster seats as well.

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

and thank you AZFan. I am hoping the car rental company can provide what we need.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,210 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

Heres the basic info posted in the link you cant open about Car Seats...

>>>"Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

Children under the age of 8 who are 4' 9" or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.

Children who are 8 years and over shall be properly secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt.

Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law. ">>>>

As far a bringing your own Car Seat, your likely going to have to contact them directly to see what qualifications they have exactly and if yours will qualify if you are concerned about the issue.

But frankley, Imo, since your from out of the Country, I doubt you would have any issues if pulled over for some reason, since they will be able to clearly tell you are not a U.S. Citizen. And I doubt anyone is going to check your car seat to see if its ok for some reason, I have never heard of that happening.

Basically for under 3 years old, you will need an actual Car Seat and the 3 month old seat is in the back seat facing the back of the seat of the Car. You will need the booster seats for the 5 and 7 year old likely. Those are inexpensive, and if you dont have them can be picked up at a Walmart or Target near Disneyland if you wanted to pick up your car after you arrive in Anaheim, and just take the Disneyland resort Express which is a large bus that does not require Car Seats to Anaheim, you could then pick up Booster Seats at a store before you rent the car.

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

thanks so much for this information. Really helpful.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,084 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

Also, just to avoid possible confusion, we just call them "car seats". I think "capsule" it a fabulous term, but I suspect that the people at the car rental agency or Target won't know what you mean.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

A capsule is different to a car seat. Capsules are only for very little babies, they then go into a carseat facing the rear (depending on age) and then turn the carseat around to face the front.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

Here is a TA Top Question from the main California Forum addressing Car/Booster Seats in the state.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c183583/Califo…

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,084 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: child restraint for newborn (3 months) in California

"A capsule is different to a car seat. Capsules are only for very little babies, they then go into a carseat facing the rear (depending on age) and then turn the carseat around to face the front."

Of course. The point is that calling it a "capsule" will result in plenty of blank looks from people in this country. I have never heard anyone in the US call an infant car seat a "capsule".