We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ventimiglia, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

My daughter is spending a few days at the end of June in Anaheim with an 18-year-old girl friend.

A hotel room has already been booked -and paid for- at Clarion Hotel in the name of the elder girl.

A private shuttle will be reserved for them between LAX and hotel (and back).

Our daughter will travel with our written parental consent, including full details of stay, places, money, health insurance etc.

The two girls will be attending VidCon on june 26-27-28 and will visit Disneyland on june 29.

I think I just have to check with hotel about credit card policy.

Can you suggest anything?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Between your post on the California forum and air travel forum you have about 20 replies, is there anything specific you want to know ? A general question such as "can you suggest anything ?" Is too vague ?

Are you asking for info on which shuttles to book to get hotel From airport ? Activities besides Disneyland . Transport .

The more specific your question the better folks can help

Will they have phones ? Access to the internet via a smartphone for you to stay in touch ? An emergency contact in the US if they have issues ? Phone numbers of people to contact should they have issues including the Italian consulate . medical insurance ? Do they speak English well ?

Edited: 7:51 am, January 21, 2014
Ventimiglia, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Sorry to bother you, belomiser. Maybe I'm just over-protective. ..

In fact, lots of teenagers go from one country to another without parents during the summer. Must happen all the time.

Besides, my daughter will celebrate her 18th birthday while in the US.

Both girls speak English well. My daughter has already been to L.A.

They have a medical insurance. We'll get an emergency phone number to call just in case.

They have smartphones so we can keep in touch all the time.

Our parental consent will be as follows:

"We, ZZZ and YYY, mother and father of KKK, minor child aged 17 (born on june ...,1996), acknowledge that our daughter is traveling out of the country with Miss JJJ (born on february ..., 1996), aged 18.

She has our permission to do so.

Miss JJJ will be traveling as a guardian of our child, who will celebrate her 18th birthday while in the U.S. Our daughter has a major medical insurance that will cover for medical treatment. We authorize the above named Miss JJJ to make medical decisions for the minor child listed above if needed.

They will be traveling from Milan Malpensa Airport (Italy) to Los Angeles Airport (LAX), CA, USA, through New York City JFK Airport and back.

They will be staying in Anaheim, Disneyland, CA.

A double hotel room has been booked in the name of Miss JJJ for the whole of their stay (from June 24, 2014 through June 30, 2014).

A taxi shuttle airport/hotel and back has already been reserved.

They can speak English and can manage airport tranfers. They have been provided with the necessary money and they can phone home from the US if needed.

Contact address in Italy:

Phone numbers:

+39... (home)

+39... (mother’s mobile)

+39... (father’s mobile)

e-mail address...

Signatures:

Mother..............................................

Father..............................................."

So that might be all...thank you so much!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Please do not misunderstand me. I don't think you are being overprotective. I think you are doing the right thing by asking questions so my intention was not to challenge your post but to ask you if you had specific questions that needed answers . We have teens too who have travelled abroad without us and we have given a similar letter, a phone , contact info, medical info, credit and debit cards, a sat phone as one time the area was so remote and we also provided the US consulate in that country with their travel details

So do you need help with Disney plans ? Do you need help with a good shuttle company ? Restaurant recommendation ? Telephone SIM cards ? Those are things the fine folks in this forum can help you with

So please ask away

Ventimiglia, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

What about PRIME TIME SHUTTLE red vans? Seems like the girls would spend 30 $ each for tranfer from and to airport (15 $ per person per journey). We can reserve and pre-pay from here. Do they respect indicated times? Especially when leaving, everything must work.

By the way, how long will it take by shuttle between LAX and Anaheim/Disneyland? We have traveled over South California but I can't remember exactly.

Thank you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Welcome to the Anaheim forum Laura A,

I guess we may seem a little overprotective here on Trip Advisor ;) But really as said, just trying to help with planning things for you.

The Clarion Hotel..... is ok to stay at if you cannot change your booking, its rating are just not that great. They offer Art Shuttle service to and from Disneyland which I would suggest using with 2 young women, as its not really in close walking distance.

The Art Shuttle service runs multiple times per day, usually for a small fee per person but worth the extra cost. Its usually about $5 per day per person and less for mulitple days. Heres more info on the Art Shuttle service which can also help them get around a little to other areas such as shopping at the Outlets at Orange which is close to Disneyland. Thier Hotel itself is on Route #6

http://www.rideart.org/route-map/

If you are planning a private Shuttle service I would also suggest something like Karmel Shuttle which offers a private shuttle service along with its regular shuttle service and has mostly positive feedback. Super Shuttle and Primetime Shuttle are also options you can look at.

So you can see where things are located. Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map. It will show where the Hotel is located as well as its relation to the Convention Center where the Vid Con Convention takes place which should be in walking distance or there would also likely be a route on the Art shuttle service that may have a stop at the Covention Center that you could also take.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Heres a walking map from the Clarion to the likely entrance spot for the Anaheim Convention Center.

http://binged.it/LBj6ct

Travel time on shuttles to and from the Airport can be about 45 min to 90 min or so depending on the time of day, and how many other stops Shuttles may make. Most are reliable as far as times go, and usually give a suggestion of when to leave to make a flight to allow enough time for things that may happen such as traffic ect. Depending on what kind of shuttle service you use, they would also have other people to pick up and drop off, ect.

If you have any specific questions as said please ask.

Edited: 11:58 am, January 21, 2014
Ventimiglia, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Thanks! perfect. I love Tripadisor...

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Tell them to absolutely do not open the door for anyone. Of course you are telling them this anyway, but put emphathis on it for their safety.

Edited: 7:52 pm, January 21, 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

We stayed at the Alpine Inn right across from the conference center where Vidcon is held. My son was able to go to late night events and then quickly and safely walk back to the hotel. Easy walk to Disneyland and there are tons of people to walk with at night.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

I like the Clarion Hotel for its indoor corridors. It will be safe enough.

Anaheim is typically safe. Something happened recently at the Alamo Motel, but the man is now in custody. I am just concerned because reports said the women in the room opened their door not knowing who it was ir assuming it was someone they knew.. That place has outside corridors.

Edited: 1:24 am, January 22, 2014
california
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italian 17-year-old traveling to Disneyland without parents

Agree with Red in post #7!!!

And that report sounded scary! That woman was amazing though, fighting for her friend like that. What bravery. I shudder to think how it could have turned out had he been able to drag the friend back into the room!