We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

We are a family of 4 (parents of kids who will be 4 & 5 at the time of travel). We will be spending 6 nights at Disneyland in early June and are trying to nail down our accommodations. We do not mind spending extra for added conveniences, such as the Magic Mornings, or the ability to go back and forth to the hotel without walking a great distance. However, we are wondering, are the Magic Mornings really worth the added expense of staying at a Disney hotel? We could just as easily stay at the Sheraton or one of the other larger "good neighbor" hotels, but want things to be as convenient as possible for us. If the Magic Mornings will will truly buy us some time without crowds and lines, then we are all for staying at one of the Disney hotels. If it's going to be pretty much the same as the all day crowds, then we don't see the point. Your advice is appreciated!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

The cost of staying at the Sheraton Park, even the Club Level Rooms (comes with free breakfast and evening happy hour) can be half the cost of a Disney owned one, so for 6 nights, quite a bit of Money. Also staying at the Sheraton Park places you in a location with easy access of shops and restaurants, and "isolated" like the Disney Hotels are designed to do.

In early June, I would think there isn't much of a benefit to early morning every day. The 5 day ParkHopper does come with one Early Entry to Disneyland Park, which you can get the Fantasyland rides done, such as Dumbo and Peter Pan.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,641 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

It depends on what you mean by "early June". Lots of Schools get out mid week about that first week of June, so Disneyland would be busy.

Whether or not its worth it to get the early entry is really up to you to decide. Keep in mind that some of the Disney owned Hotels are about a 10 to 13 min walk and none offer shuttle service. Early entry does offer a very quiet usually time where there are not very many people in the Parks. Here is more info on when thats offered for guests staying at one of the Disney owned Hotels.

https:/…

There are plenty of standard Motels that are really the closest to the Disneyland Main Entrance that would be much less expensive that are located directly across the entrance to Disneyland and make them the most convenient for a visit, just as much as the Disney owned Hotel are.

Heres a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are located. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Nicer Hotels are going to be about a 15 min walk at the closest ones, so most will take the Art shuttle service thats offered for a small fee per person that goes from Disneyland to alot of area Hotels within about a 2 mile radius around Disneyland multiple times per day. The Sheraton Park mentioned would be one of those in about a 15 min walk.

Edited: 11:34 am, January 06, 2014
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,662 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

I am a huge fan of the Disney hotels because of the ambiance and the perks like Magic Mornings, but with kids so young I am not sure the Magic Mornings matter that much since they may be too small for some of the rides that make Magic Mornings worth it.

Here is a chart on some of the height requirements.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/height.htm

Missing is Radiator Springs Racers, which is 40".

So evaluate based on that. I'd also look at the Concierge Level at the Disney hotels.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

Thank you all for your responses, it's good to get the Disney vs. non-Disney hotel opinions. Really torn. We also were considering a condo in the area, but have not seen any that really "wow" us. We usually spend a lot on accommodations when traveling, so if anyone knows of a place with high-end condos available for vacation rental, we would appreciate any leads! What is considered the must luxurious of all the hotels in the area? We will have a car so being a little further away is not an issue.

Our dates are probably June 6 or 7 thru 13 or 14, so it may be busy because of schools letting out that week.

Is it right, then, that most of the rides for kids their age are in Fantasyland? As for height, both will be over 40'' by then. And I see that the Magic Mornings are only certain parks on certain days. That might make a difference because I don't see us spending as much time in Cali Adventure as in Disneyland Park.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

The highest star Hotels in the area are the Hyatt Regency Orange County at the corner Harbor and Chapman in nearby Garden Grove. Most folks opt for the Shuttle that runs every 30 minutes (don't hassle with parking the car at Disney). They have great Kids Suites. The other 4 star is the Grand Californian run by Disney, but budget wise, the Hyatt is much less expensive, has great on property restaurants, and the corner has plenty more options where to eat and shop, including a Target.

You mentioned a Sheraton, the Sheraton Park is walking distance for many, located across the street from the Disneyland Resort, but the entrance is a few blocks away. I would look at a Club Level Room with a Disney facing view. The Sheraton Park is a 3 and 1/2 star.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32420-d217219-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d217214-…

London
Level Contributor
226 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

I am not an expert on the area, but we have chosenPelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach for luxury accommodation. I understand it is about 30 mins from Disneyland (subject to traffic).

Edited: 3:32 pm, January 06, 2014
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

I was totally sold on the Hyatt Regency until I read some reviews on here that mentioned bedbugs, and when cross-referenced with the bed bug registry, found even more! It seemed to be a great match for us, but can not take a chance. We travel extensively and know that could be an issue at any hotel, but in a highly traveled area such as DIsney, chances for bed bugs are even greater. This is one of the many reasons we always go high end on our accommodations. In our experience, we have never regretted it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,641 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

If your children will be over 40 inches, theres alot they will be able to do besides Fantasyland in both Parks. However, even if children are tall enough to ride, some of these may be too intense for your ages of children, especially Space Mountain, but you can look through the rides and see what may be appropriate for your specific family.

https:/…

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

Companies like the Hyatt are very pro-active with bed bugs, even using canines trained to sniff them out.

If there was Bed Bugs it was a rare situation, and has been solved a long time ago.

Almost any Hotel/Motel can get Bed Bugs from a guest. It is how they handle it after the fact.

There is no real easy way to prevent them, only after they are found (aka a guest reports it) can they take action.

And the report on the Bed Bug Registry is about 5 years old. I wouldn't worry about.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,641 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Magic Mornings worth staying at the Disney hotels?

velvetflip,

I would never use a bedbug registry to tell the condition of a Hotel. The rating there can be fooled around with way too much by competitors just seeking to discredit a Hotel, and I have found that site to be useless for actual info on any Hotels.

What you may want to consider doing is posting on the forums before your visit, and let the people who visit frequently tell you what may really be going on with a property. Most will not have any agenda other than helping you have a nice stay. Then look at the reviews keeping in mind that any one time posters posting about bedbugs ect are more likely to not be the best info to look at imo. Usually long time forum posters or with lots of reviews are a better judge of what a Hotel may be like which I have found to be true when visiting. JMO.

And, after looking through the last 35 or so review for the Hyatt, I only see a 1 time poster posting a complaint about bedbugs, and the few other complaints about various shuttle service and incidental things are not really relevant to how nice the Hotel is, so overall they have a great rating! Nor have I heard anyone come back here on the forums to complain about staying there.