We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Hell!

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Hire Hell!

My boyfriend and I are planning our trip to Las Vegas and then planning on hirring a car and drive to Yosemite then to San Fran and down to LA, I have been researching everywhere and cannot find any website were we are able to have the car in las vegas and drop it back in LA. I am 19 and he is 21. Is there a car hire place in las vegas that would rent us a car?! also we want to get rid of it in san fran and then pick it back up to go down to LA we will need to keep it an extra day in LA as we are staying in anaheim and would like to day trip to venice beach and santa monica and apprently the best way to do that is hire a car...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Hire Hell!

p.s., Orange County Airport (SNA) is very close to Anaheim. By bus, if you go to Union Station (Megabus or Amtrak bus), you can then take a Metrolink commuter train or, for a bit more, Amtrak train. Check www.imdb.com for public transportation options.

Edited: 7:38 am, December 04, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Hire Hell!

Hi,

I can understand how frustrating it must be to plan a whole trip and then to find out that renting a car will be difficult because of your age!! Here in the USA the insurance companies don't like to rent cars to folks under the age of 25 because they seem to have more accidents than older folks. They add extra costs and then they won't rent if you are under 21 at all!

IF your b-friend cannot be the only driver then there will be flights and tours you can take to most of the places on your list. You can look at internal flights on many airlines. You might look also at the web site for :

www.southwest.com

Their flights will not show up on airline search engines , only on their own site.

You can get tours to Yosemite from San Francisco.

You may be able to get a tour from Las Vegas to Death Valley.

It is best to ask about those tours on the local forums.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,040 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Hire Hell!

It would probably be easier & cheaper & faster to fly to SFO, take BART to SF, stay for a few nights, and then get a rental car for your boyfriend to drive. Go to Yosemite, then Monterey, on to Cambria or Pismo Beach, and end in L.A. Avis is one of many agencies that will let a young driver pick up a car at SFO and drop it at LAX; surcharges apply.

Or fly/bus to L.A. and do the reverse. I have heard about lots of under-25 rentals in L.A.

Note that this is the Anaheim forum. If you want tips about visiting Yosemite or SF or L.A, try those forums. If you want tips about the Hwy 1 drive along the coast, try the California state forum page.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Hire Hell!

Regarding Post #8, I did a trial booking on the Hertz website for a 21 year old and it showed a $20 per day surcharge for "Age differential." National Car Rental's surcharge is $25 per day, and Avis' surcharge is $27 per day.

Zed

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Hire Hell!

Note if you do a Google search, you can often find coupons for Hertz that will waive the under-25 fee. But hertz is often more expensive than some of the other companies so there may be little to no savings this way.

Castaic, California
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Hire Hell!

AND...the OP is out of the U.S. so will get better rate as mentioned. www.rentalcars.com gives a rate of about $7 a day from LV to LA one way - but read the small print in the T & C because that's where the young driver surcharge is. It's $14 a day additional. And they let 19 year olds drive. It's Fox Rent a Car. The other rental companies are similar in their surcharge.

So $21 a day.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car Hire Hell!

Do your homework before renting from Fox Rent a Car.

I know it's a different city with different management, but they don't enjoy a good reputation here in San Diego:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k425737…

So check reviews before committing.

Zed

18. Re: Car Hire Hell!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 06, 2014