We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Festivities

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Festivities

OK so this isn't a pending trip question....more out of curiosity for a future trip....what kinds of things are there available to do that are specific to Christmas at Disneyland, DCA, Downtown Disney etc... We are mulling over a Dec 20-26 type trip down the road. I do know it is THE busiest time of the year but I could se that it might still be worth it once for the holiday experience. Any first hand experiences or opinions about holiday offerings? Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Festivities

If you want to come and enjoy Christmastime at Disneyland you can come at any time during that season to see all of the things going on which usually run from somewhere mid Nov to the first week or so of Jan. I dont know that there is going to be something special offered just on Christmas that would not be offered at anytime during that season that Im aware of. Or you may want to visit during the Candlelight processionals days which are usually in early Dec and usually are held for a only a few days, but dates are not even out yet for those for this year, as they are slow in getting that info out.

Heres what info is already out for 2013 for the Christmastime season for Disneyland...

https:/…

Heres more info on what is usually offered for Christmastime at Disneyland from last years info

wdwinfo.com/disneyland/…holiday-season.htm

Edited: 12:28 pm, October 26, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Festivities

Thanks so much for the info! Because of work I am fairly limited to time fairly close to Christmas the earliest I could do would be the 20th…which is an option as from what I can see it is the 25-31 that seems to be the craziest….it won't be this year for sure (we went last spring and that means we have to save our pennies if we want to come back.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Festivities

The Week of Christmas is busy as Schools will take a 2 week break starting that week of Chirstmas usually and ending about a week after Christmas depending on when it falls each Year.

Soooo... The week of Christmas is going to be very busy with usually you are right the week after that and the closer it gets to New Years Eve being crazy busy usually.

So since you have somewhat set dates, I would plan for the earlier dates if possible.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Festivities

Thanks again for the advice happytotrip You are always so great about sharing all your experience.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Festivities

And IMHO, Knott's Berry Farm has "more" Christmas than Disneyland, and is worth a visit if you are in the area.

https://www.knotts.com/article/media-center/…

And FYI, many school districts, including LA Unified is taking 3 weeks off now for the Christmas Break. LAUSD dates are December 21st through January 12th, 2014, But there are a lot of different school districts and schedules.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Festivities

Christmas Festivities in Disneyland:

Disneyland Park has a Christmas fireworks show, which ends with the castle sparkling and the playing of White Christmas as "snow" falls on Main Street. I hear that "snow" also falls in New Orleans Square. There are certain times during the day when the castle sparkles as well. There is a Christmas themed parade. There are carolers on Main Street. I believe they are Dickens carolers. There is a very simple and short tree lighting ceremony each evening (no show, just a recording).

For DCA Park, I am less informed. They are sure to have some entertainment that is holiday themed. This year they were reported to have a holiday themed World of Color, which goes along with the opening of the new Disney animated feature film Frozen. I have heard there are holiday bell ringers in DCA.

Christmas festivities in Knott's:

Holiday ice show inside a large theater, featuring world class figure skaters, Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang, with holiday scenes from traditional to modern to kid pleasing. A nightly tree lighting ceremony and show in Calico Square featuring Snoopy and the Peanuts Gang, the Calico Carolers, and a chidren's song and dance troupe. "Snow" falls during the singing of Christmastime is Here" (only on those standing in front of the stage). There is a Christmas parade featuring Peanuts Characters. Calico Carolers strolling in Ghost Town, dressed as 1880's carolers aka Dickens carolers (for the Tree lighting show they are in modern clothes). The intimate Bird Cage Theater has a short version of A Christmas Carol, with a small cast, using limited sets and props which helps to fous on the actors and the story. Also in the Birdcage is a version of the Gift of the Magi that includes the singing of The Twelve Days of Christmas to help tell the story, as well as bits of humor.

Knott's is closed on Christmas Day and may not have ice show performances on Christmas Eve. Often the Bird Cage theater shows are not extended after Christmas. The crafts are gone after Christmas. If interested in going to Knott's Merry Farm, to get the full line up of holiday shows plan to go prior to Christmas Eve. (Note: The ice show performers normally have Wednesdays off. During the first two weeks of December the shows are only on weekends - added that for anyone else reading the post who may be thinking of going then.)

Edited: 2:30 pm, October 27, 2013
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Festivities

Sorry Darkbeer. I lived in SoCal 15 years and went to DL every holiday season several times. I also got free tickets to Knotts from work for that time period. I didn't feel like I needed to go back after a few years. Disney is just magical.

We're going to Anaheim in mid November and will only stop briefly at Knotts for the fried chicken.

To the OP - if you go that time period, you must get there early to avoid the park being sold out. We made the mistake one year bringing guests later in the day and were denied entry.

Edited: 3:13 pm, October 27, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,975 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Festivities

Christmas time at Disneyland is my favorite time of year. The link from Happy in post #1, the wdwinfo link, is a great guide to all that goes on.

One thing not mentioned is all the marching bands that do a pre-parade march through Disneyland and DCA. The bands that are in So Cal for the Rose Parade perform at Disneyland and the two teams involved in the game visit Disneyland and have pep rallies inside the park. It is a ton of fun.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Festivities

I have been to both Disneyland and Knott's during Christmastime and, to be honest, as much as I would like to say Disneyland feels magical at Christmas I found it had a somewhat superficial feeling - with the exception of the Candlelight Processional. And I absolutely loved the Candlelight Processional!

The music playing around New Orleans Square at that time, jazzy versions of religious carols, actually struck me as so disgusting that I wanted to stay out of that area, which is one of my favorite areas of the park. The tree lighting, in my eyes, was like nothing. A rousing recorded announcement and invitation to say "Happy Holidays". (Much less inspiring than the Knott's tree lighting during which the audience is encouraged to repeat "Peace on earth, good will to men," several times and the tree magically lights with sounds of bells ringing.

I have been to Knott's Christmas celebrations annually since 1995. With the exception of the more recent addition of lights and music in Camp Snoopy, I find it very heartwarming. But, I do prefer heartwarming to magical

But why not try both places and see what YOU like?

Edited: 12:04 am, October 28, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Festivities

Thanks so much to all of you for all the information! This is why I read all the posts even when I am not planning a trip. It was great of you to point out the offerings at Knotts too....honestly I hadn't even thought about it having anything for Christmas. Sounds like fun...and definitely worth checking out since I haven't been since I was 8! (my favourite then was the stagecoach ride) Aigh! It is so hard to justify a christmas trip with the extra crowds and the price of airfares and hotels going through the roof at that time but the pictures look great!!! Hmmmm I think I am going to have to talk my husband into it and think about some planning. At least I can look at the info as it becomes available this year. Does anyone know why this year the candelight procesional is only 2 nights and it was 20 nights last year? Sounds lovely and hate to miss it.