We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport Beach

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Newport Beach

Hi all, we are looking to get some fresh air and stretch our legs after a 19 hour flight.

We will head down to Newport around 5pm on October 1st, and I need some advice on somewhere to eat that evening.

We are a vegetarian chef, a not too adventurous (foodwise anyway) guy, and two girls 10 and 12. Definitely not after fine dining for that night but would appreciate a nice view.

Any recommendations? Not Mexican, we will eat that another night.

We would sacrifice the view for a great meal any day.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport Beach

Several questions.........

Will you have a car? How many total nights will you have? You said "not Mexican, we will eat that another night", are you only planning on one Mexican meal in So Cal?

Ruby's Diner at the end of the Balboa Pier meets the "not fancy, not adventuresome" criteria. On the bay side you have Newport Landing and Harborside Restaurant, but they might be fancier than you are looking for.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport Beach

Hi Scott, yes, we have a car. Thanks for your suggestions.

We have decided on The Port Bar & Grill for the first night. We will try Tortilla Joe's, Mimi's café (across the road from our hotel, the HoJo) and Los Sanchez.

For our first night I wanted something familiar in case we are jetlagged.

Thanks again.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,959 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport Beach

Since you have a car, I really would not bother with Tortilla Joe's. It is a very Americanized version of Mexican food and in the adjoining cities of Orange and Santa Ana you have some of the best Mexican food in the U.S.

Look up the following restaurants in Santa Ana, Casa Oaxaca, El Rincon Chilango, La Cocina De Mi Abuelita and Las Brisas De Apatzingan

In Orange, Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen, Ostioneria Bahia Mexican Seafood #1 & #2, and Moreno's.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport Beach

Hi Scott, thanks again. Tortilla Joe's appealed because it is close by after a tiring day, but I will definitely check out you suggestions in case we have enough time and energy to make a longer trip. I am so looking forward to some good Mex. Dude food and BBq is the latest craze in Perth, Australia at the moment.

The Mexican food here is pretty ordinary.

5. Re: Newport Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 11, 2014