We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

Vancouver
5 posts
Save Topic
2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

I'm surprising my husband with an impromptu weekend to Disneyland next month.

Flights are booked; we are going Friday night and coming back Sunday night.

We are both 30. Would you recommend two days at Disneyland or Saturday at Disneyland and Sunday at Universal Studios?

We are staying both nights at a "Good neighbour" hotel by Disneyland; is it worth the travel time and expense to go to Universal Studios on Sunday, knowing we'll go from there to LAX late that afternoon?

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
31,027 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

Have you been to any of the Orlando parks?

Does TV/Movie Making interest you?

I think the majority would pick two days at the Disneyland Resort, which consists of two separate Theme Parks (Disneyland and California Adventure).

But if you are interested in visiting locations where famous TV/Movies have been filmed, or like things like The Transformers, and Jurassic Park, then think about Universal Studios.

Mentioned in this post
The Orlando Hotel
The Orlando Hotel
943 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
California
California
United States
Universal Studios...
31,027 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,630 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

Welcome to the forums DisneyGirlVancouver,

It just depends on what you may want to do. You should take a look at the Universal Studios website to see if thats interesting enough for you.

Keep in mind that usually a 2 or 3 day Parkhopper is suggested for a visit to Disneyland as there is plenty to see and do in both Parks to keep you busy for at least that amount of time, so you wont run out of things to do if you want to spend 2 days just at Disneyland. And, you are comming at a busy Summer Break time for alot of Schools in the U.S., so lines will be longer and it will be more crowded. When in August are you visiting? There are things going on during that month that will make it extra busy.

What good neighbor Hotel are you staying at? There are plenty of standard places to stay right across the street from the Disneyland Main Entrance that are in close walking distance.

So you can see where things are located. Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are located. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Edited: 9:48 pm, July 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios...
31,027 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Vancouver
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

TV/Movie-making is somewhat interesting... I'd rate it 6/10 on the interest level, if that means anything. In your opinion, are the rides worth the time/money it would take to travel there from the Disneyland area?

I'm leaning towards two days in Disneyland, but I'm sort of second-guessing myself.

Vancouver
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

Wow, thanks for all that info, Happy! Also, a huge thanks for the map!

We're staying at Hotel Menage. We will be going the weekend of August 10/11. Do you know of anything that will make that weekend extra busy?

Oh, one more quick question: What time should we arrive if we want to get in when it opens? Is there usually a big crowd waiting to get in?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

You don't mention having a car, so there's the question of how you would get to Universal Studios Hollywood on Sunday. The park opens at 8AM that day. Theoretically, you could take mass transit, with the final hop on the Red Line, but practically, it just isn't feasible, especially on the weekend. You could use a private shuttle service or rent a car. After a long flight and that first day in Disneyland, going to USH and then LAX later in the day seems the opposite of relaxing.

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios...
31,027 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Vancouver
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

You're right; no car. We'd have to rely on a taxi, shuttle, or mass transit...

I'm hearing more and more reasons to do two days in Disneyland...

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

I think you are beginning to answer your own question_____2 days at Disneyland !

Vancouver
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

You're right! Two days in Disneyland it is!

Thank you EVERYONE -- all the posters have been incredibly helpful!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,630 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

Unfortunately yes, there is a large Convention D23 ( a Disney Fan event) at the Convention Center next door to Disneyland, so its going to be extra busy at Disneyland that weekend , Aug 9-11.

The Hotel Menage is ok to stay at, but is somewhat islolated by itself with not a whole lot around that area. Its also known as more of an adult Hotel and for some College Parties ect. Its about a 14 min walk over the Freeway overpass, and to the Turnstiles that go into either Park and offers Art Shuttle Service if you dont want to walk.

At a busy time, I would arrive at least 30 min before regular Park opening time. They often open up part of the Parks for shopping ( and Radiator Spring Racer Ride, and World of Color Fastpass areas in California Adventure Park ) about 30 min before regular Parks opening time. The least busy time is that first few hours after opening time, and rides with Fastpasses are usually the busier rides, so its a good idea to visit any of those you are most interested in first thing. Heres more info on the free Fastpass system at Disneyland and how to use it in case you are not familiar.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

And if you are not familar with Disneyland, there are two Parks, their entrances are located directly across from each other, so easy to hop back and forth to.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/maps/

Here are the Maps of the two Park that you can pick up when you enter either Park that should be helpful with your planning.

…go.com/media/dlr_nextgen/SiteCatalog/PDF/Di…

…go.com/media/dlr_nextgen/SiteCatalog/PDF/Di…

Edited: 10:51 pm, July 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days Disneyland or 1 day at Disney, 1 at Universal Studios

As you will not have a car, what to do with luggage while visiting Universal would be a major issue. It is not a problem to get to US without a car on the weekend (Amtrak and Metrolink run) but I do not think there is luggage storage at the park.

I would plan to visit DL and DCA as you will have 2 days. Some of the best rides are at DCA.