We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Car in Aneheim

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
No Car in Aneheim

Hello. My hubby and I will be going later this week for 5 days. What are some alternatives to get to Queen Mary, Universal Studio and Hollywood. We have no vehicle and are staying at the Hilton Anaheim. Thank you !

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Car in Aneheim

Welcome to the Forums Mari-chu C,

There are trains that go from Anaheim to the LA area, but that is likely to take up some of your day since the LA area is about a 1 hour drive North of Anaheim, so it would be longer by taking public transport. Really the best option is to rent a Car and drive yourself to these areas. Universal Studios is about a 1 hour drive mostly on one freeway, and close to the exit. You could drive to Hollywood and pick up a Tour from there which are said to be the better Tours. Huntington Beach is a short 30 min drive all on surface streets from Anaheim

If you really wont drive, Grayline Tours and Starline Tours offer Tours to the things you want to do from Anaheim.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Car in Aneheim

Thanks so much Happytotrip!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Car in Aneheim

I agree, rent a car or tour bus.

If not, then you can take train from Anaheim / Fullerton (www.amtrak.com or www.metrolink.com) to Union Station in downtown LA. The Red Line subway runs from there to both Hollywood (Hollywood / Highland station - next to Chinese Theater, walk of Fame, views of Hollywood sign etc.) and one stop past that is the Universal City station for Universal City.

Here are instructions from Hilton Anaheim to Queen Mary. It takes 3 buses and a bit over two hours.

http://goo.gl/maps/f93DU

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Car in Aneheim

The Web site for the Metrolink commuter trains is www.metrolinktrains.com, not www.metrolink.com. Aimed at commuters, so limited room for baggage, but also less expensive than Amtrak. Diriving is best, but traffic during rush hour can be very, very tough. To the Queen Mary, I think the options would be public buses (see www.metro.net) or a tour. If you just want a studio tour, and not another theme park, you could check out Warner Brothers in Burbank, Paramount in Hollywood, or Sony in Culver City, rather than Universal. Not necessarily a lot easier to get to, but they cost less and you may get more of an in-depth studio tour (but without the extras Universal has).

Edited: 2:59 pm, July 22, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Car in Aneheim

Sony is reachable from Anaheim by taking train to Union Station and then the Red Line as above, but exiting at the 7th St. Metro Center and then from there taking the Expo Line light rail train towards Culver City, exiting at the last stop and leaving about a 1/2 mile walk to Sony.

Warner Bros. is also reachable similarly to getting to Hollywood - train to Union Station, Red Line to Hollywood / Highland, and then Metro Bus 222 towards Sun Valley, exiting at Riverside Drive and Hollywood Way. Short walk to Warner Bros. from there.

If you are going to do Hollywood / Universal (or another studio) one day, and the Queen Mary another day, you might want to consider staying in Hollywood for one night. Its actually a bit quicker to the Queen Mary from Hollywood than it is from Anaheim - from Hollywood you can take the Red Line to the 7th St. Metro Center and from there take the Blue Line all the way down to the Transit Mall in Long Beach, from there taking free Passport Shuttle Bus "C" to the Queen Mary.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Car in Aneheim

Thank you so much Machthree and Sutter for your information. I am saving these to my phone. We are trying to be as thrifty as possible and renting a car is intimidating. Thanks!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Car in Aneheim

Hi Mari-Chu,

How did you get on with your trip? I am also staying in Anaheim and will be hiring a car for some days, but want to use public transport as much as possible (mainly because I begrudge the excessive hotel parking costs). Did you make it to any of the studios? Thanks xx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Car in Aneheim

Hello! My trip was amazing and was there for 5 days! My husband stayed at the Hilton Anaheim and took the bus everywhere! It takes a while but is worth it AND the savings was crazy. We got a daily bus pass for $5.00, a taxi would have run us a $100.00, plus an additional person PLUS tip. Crazy! This was to Queen Mary. We also did go to Universal and Downtown LA. These trips were a bit longer. Worth it - If you have a smart phone - you can do it no problem. Super easy and savings make up for it. Hope this helps.

-Marie

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Car in Aneheim

Glad to hear Public Transit worked for you. The system is decent, and yes, there are some waits, but it is getting better in the Disneyland area.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Car in Aneheim

That does,help, thank you! It is just me and my 13 year old son going, and it is so scarey having to be 'the adult' and make all these decisions. Your post has reassured me that it isn't such a crazy idea :-) (public transport in your own city can seem so dull, but when you are elsewhere it all adds to the excitement).

Thanks for getting back to me xx