We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets - best options?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets - best options?

OK after all the advice i've been given (thankyou!!) i've decided we will be taking the train to Universal and also into Hollywood. Now i've been researching wether to take the Amtrak train or Metrolink, both seem ok.

I can take the Amtrak on a weekday for $30 return (for two) but it doesn't leave until 8am getting us to Union Station at around 9am then we have to get to Universal which will make it around 10am when we arrive, we can get there on the tour bus at the same time for less money, but we have to leave at 5pm with the tour bus.

If I take the metrolink to Union Station it costs $38 return (for two) but we can leave much earlier.

Both options also mean we have to pay again for a metro day pass once we get to Union Station which costs more money again.

We could go via metrolink much cheaper on a weekend but they only have a train that leaves well after 9am so that rules that out.

We will be taking the train to Hollywood no matter what but i'm now wondering if we should take it to Universal as it just seems like a lot of hassle and extra money for a few extra hours in the evening.

Am I reading these schedules/fares correctly? If someone can let me know a better way that would be great. We would prefer to go on a weekday into Universal, Anyday for Hollywood would be OK.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Train tickets - best options?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm tossing up whether to stay in LA overnight or not, we can go straight to LA and stay the night from San Diego instead of even going to Anaheim first. Then just do Anaheim at the end of the trip. It will all come down to the cost vs the time frames. But you have all been super helpful and at least i'm not afraid of taking the train now! You've helped so much that's why I love TA!!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Train tickets - best options?

I agree on taking a cab to and from the Anaheim station, much closer than Fullerton. I recently posted the math and time of Anaheim vs. Fullerton and if it costs much of anything extra, it is nominal and few extra minutes on the train. It seems there are always cabs at the Anaheim station, they know when the trains will come in. If not, call for one. The station is not in the "middle" of the parking lot, it is on the edge. On the off chance that you arrive on the train when a game is getting out, at least you know there will be cabs as there are always cabs in front of the stadium after a game. I took the Angels Express recently and there were cabs at the train station before and after the game. IF the game is getting out, it will only take a few extra minutes to exit the parking lot from the train station. The drive from the DL area to the Fullerton station is slow going, lots of cars and traffic lights, I would not mess with a bus or a cab to Fullerton as there is usually little traffic on Katella over to the train station.

23. Re: Train tickets - best options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 27, 2014