We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking outside the park

NJ
Level Contributor
751 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
walking outside the park

I took to heart the advice I got here a few months ago to book within walking distance of Disney but when I have been mapping the routes, I keep getting cautioned that there are no sidewalks & it's not safe for pedestrians.

Is that true? Why would everybody here tell me to walk if there is no safe way to do so? Are there secrets MapQuest & Google Maps aren't telling me? If there are no sidewalks I guess I'm hoping that there will be so much traffic congestion that drivers can only go a few miles per hour in the area?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking outside the park

The Anaheim Resort area near Disneyland is very walkable and has sidewalks, not sure what you heard...

I like the g-maps pedometer program to check out walking and cycling routes.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

NJ
Level Contributor
751 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking outside the park

I figured there had to be sidewalks. The alternative didn't make sense.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,199 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking outside the park

What Hotel did you book?

NJ
Level Contributor
751 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking outside the park

The Comfort Inn on E Katella. It was a good deal, < $100 per night with good reviews.

I was thinking of switching to the Holiday Inn Express which is about $20 per night more but a little closer.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking outside the park

There are sidewalks all over the Resort area. Walked it a lot in day and night when I visited there. No issues there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,199 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking outside the park

That Comfort Inn is fine to stay at, but a little far from Disenyland, its about a 25 min walk from there to the Turnstiles that would go into either Park. You could likely get somewhere much closer for that budget. But there are sidewalks ect from there to Disneyland. As far as Im aware though, there is no shuttle service from that Hotel to Disneyland, so that would be a pain having to Park at Disneyland every day, and take up your time getting in and out each time. However, you could walk to the nearest Art Shuttle stop and pick up the shuttle from there which would take you about a 5 min walk to the Peacock Suites.

http://binged.it/1aF31O3

Heres a map from the Comfort Inn to the Turnstiles that go into either Park. There are sidewalks on either side of Katella near there, as well as on both sides of the street on Harbor Blvd.

http://binged.it/13IZHPn

If all you are wanting is a standard place to stay, I would suggest looking somewhere in closer walking distance, there should be plenty of standard places to stay that would be close. Can you tell us what kind of accomodation you are looking for and your dates again you will be visiting, and we can help you find something closer that you are interested in.

NJ
Level Contributor
751 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking outside the park

Happytotrip --

We'll be there in early August for two nights, Sunday & Monday, flying home Tuesday afternoon. We just need a CLEAN hotel at a good price (~ $100) with free WiFi.

The following would be nice to have: a pool, a refrigerator in the room, free parking, complimentary breakfast, nearby restaurants within walking distance

So you're saying we should switch to the Holiday Inn Express at Maingate or someplace else? Where?

So you are saying that

Edited: 2:01 pm, July 14, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking outside the park

Check to see if the Alpine Inn has any rooms left. We stayed there last year for $99 per night. Not as close as the hotels on Harbor, but very easy walk to DL.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking outside the park

Holiday Inn Express would meet all that criteria...including wi-fi. I've stayed there when I had family came over before from overseas, and it's a decent hotel. Breakfast is pretty good, and if you want to eat somewhere else, the Anaheim GardenWalk mall is just a short walk away there on the same street (Katella) as your hotel, where there are more eating choices as well.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,199 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: walking outside the park

Depending on your dates in August.....The Alpine inn mentioned... ...is a good suggestion as it a well rated standard Motel that offers free Continental Breakfast, free Parking and is about a 13 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park. I believe they also offer free wifi. There is also the Art Shuttle service at the Desert Palms next door available for a small fee per person if you dont want to walk. Its likely to be around $109 for your dates though or about $20 more if its closer to the second weekend in August.

You could also try the Anaheim Plaza Inn... which would be the closest and is a more basic but clean Motel. Advantages are its about an 8 min walk, but no free breakfast and parking is $4 per day. Wifi is also not free, its about $10 a day through a third party.

The Anaheim Islander Inn... is also a standard Motel, about a 13 min walk, and offers Art Shuttle service. They offer Free Contiental Breakfast and free Parking, and free wifi. And they are within your budget at $99 per night for dates in early August.

Super 8 on Katella is also a standard more basic Motel... and is about a 13 min walk with Art Shuttle service, free Parking, free Continental Breakfast, and I believe free wifi. The advantage is they are likely to be the least expensive at around $80 a night.

All of these should also have a small fridge and microwave in the room from what I remember.

The Holiday Inn Express you mentioned would also be the nicer of the ones being mentioned since its a Hotel, and with interior corridors and more services. Its also about a 12 min walk. So it just depends on if you want to spend more for something a little nicer, or be closer to Disneyland, ect.

Keep in mind there is the D23 expo ( a Disney fan club event basically) at the Convention Center across the street from Disneyland, so Aug 8-11 for 2013 is going to be extra busy at Disneyland, and you would want to make some cancelable reserations at least ASAP if you dates fall during that time. It looks like there is also some cheer and dance Competitons going on the weekend before that date, so Hotels may be harder to find availability if you dates fall within that time.

Edited: 6:21 pm, July 14, 2013