We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

We'll get into town on a Sunday night. The plan is to have a relaxing, upscale, delicious meal before hitting the park Monday when fine dining goes out the window for the sake of expediency. lol

Having scoured the reviews it seems to be coming down to 2: Roy's Restaurant on Katella Ave or the Napa Rose in Disney's Californian hotel. I've generally shied away from restaurants in hotels because I think they artificially raise the prices for the captive audience.

We can't do both due to time constraints.

Anyway, what has been your experience? Which would you pick & why? TIA

NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

LongBoard -- I practically wanted one of everything when I read the menu for Napa. Not too gourmet at all. It seems like Napa will be where we dine.

DarkBeer -- I was afraid of that. I am a big believer that on vacation you don't eat at places you can enjoy at home (unless you have absolutely no other choice).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,823 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

You made a great choice. Napa Rose is really special.

They do have $36 tasting menus at Roy's if you could fit that in some night.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

Please.... Catal, a Joachim Splichal restaurant, is a chain in the same sense that Daniel by Daniel Boulud is a chain restaurant. There is only one Catal and one Daniel.

A chain is a restaurant with multiple locations.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,504 posts
5,363 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

Roys are a chain restaurant - there are many all over the place (for example Hawaii, Monterey, and so forth). Yes, its nice - but its not in any way unique. Its sort of like saying is Dennys unique and go there.

(sorry - Roys does have great food....but its a chain).

Napa Rose is unque - perfect for a Disneyland vacation - and the views of california adventure still live in my mind.

From a food quality, both are stellar....

but for a unique experience, I would choose something unique and not a chain restaurant.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

We like catal for the view. As far as napa rose, they serve duck. That is just wrong.

Actually napa is amazing. You will love it.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

>>>As far as napa rose, they serve duck. That is just wrong.<<<

Could be worse, they could have Mouse Mousse.......

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

There is no way that Roys is any way comparable to a Denny's. Roy's is a very upscale restaurant and each one has its own character and a top chef who is allowed to individualize the locations menu.

Because Napa Rose is part of the vast Disney empire, it also cannot be called absolutely unique. It's suppliers and corporate structure are common to all Disney food outlets. But the consumer experience is a world away from a Disneyland fast food outlet.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

>>...and Haven Gastropub.<<

Haven isn't upscale (although they do have a creative menu on occasion).

And of the two options, I'd say Roy's. Yes, there are a few of them, but the service is exceptional and the food quite good. (And two dozen Roy's does NOT equal Denny's. That's a strange comparison.)

NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

From what I had gathered Roy's although a chain isn't like Denny's or the Olive Garden. Not that there is anything wrong with that business model but it's not really what I want. Plus there appears to be a Roy's in Jacksonville so we'll probably check it out next time we're down there, which is another reason not to go on this trip to Disney.

Longboard, sorry it's not to your liking but I actually love duck & that entrée was one of the things that drew me to Napa.

So it appears we have a winner . . .

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Roys v Napa Rose for dinner

>>>Longboard, sorry it's not to your liking but I actually love duck<<<

Daisy, Huey, Dewey and Louie weep.......