We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

We(4 adults and 1 ten year old child) will be doing a California vacation and it works out we will have 2 days to do the kid stuff. Would you recommend 1 day Universal and 1 day Disney or 2 days Disney(1 in each resort/park)?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,361 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

It just depends on what you may want to do and what you are interested In. There are not that many actual rides at Universal Studios, so that may impact your decision if you are more interested in rides ect.

I would suggest looking through each of the websites for the Theme Parks you are interested in to see what you may like most.

That being said. At Disneyland, there are two Park, the entrances of which are located directly across from each other, so easy to hop back and forth to in a day.... Its usually suggested to get a 2 or 3 day Parkhopper ticket. There is plenty to do in both Parks to keep you busy for at least that amount of time.

Edited: 1:29 pm, June 14, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

Disneyland is not "kid stuff", lots of adults without kids visit the park every year.

I would do three nights in Anaheim, get park hopper tickets (3 day) and see the parks over that time span.

Where did you go last time you went to the Grand Canyon? Did you visit the South Rim? Unless you go on an all day bus tour (7AM to 10PM) Grand Canyon National Park is not really a day trip from Las Vegas.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

Since those 2 days are apparently for the kid, ask him/her which one s/he'd prefer. My DD would've picked DL for 2 days vs. Universal when she was 10, but all kids are different.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

Can you not stretch it to 3 days?

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

It's a surprise birthday present so he doesn't know we are going to CA at all. We have 2 nights in LA, probably staying in Hollywood and 3 nights in Anaheim. It's possible we could do universal studios while in Hollywood as its near, but means missing out a day seeing LA. Seeing as we only have 2 full days its probably unlikely.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,361 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

We cant know what your son might like or not, really you are the only one that may know that. What I can suggest is that you perhaps leave that option open, and decide later. You can get a 2 day Parkhopper, and then let them decide when you get here if they want to add an extra day at Disneyland to a 3 day Parkhopper ticket, or go to Universal Studios for a day.

The Cost will be the same adding an extra day to a 2 day Parkhopper at Disneyland ( you need to do that by the end of the second day of use) The only difference would be a 3 day Parkhopper if purchased online comes with 1 Magic Morning which allows you into select areas of Disneyland Park only 1 hour before regular opening time. And it would not come with a Magic Morning if you added the 3rd day at the Disneyland Maingate Ticket window.

Another option for you would be to purchase the Southern Calfornia City Pass which offers a 3 day Disneyland Parkhopper ticket, 1 day Seaworld ticket, and 1 day Universal Studios ticket for a good value at $319 right now. The benefit to you would be even if you only use the 3 day Parkhopper and Universal Studios ticket, it would be a little less than if you purchased tickets to both individually. Universal Studios is quite small and Imo really only takes a shorter day to visit, so you could easily visit that, and then come back and have a partial day at Disneyland later that night since hours will be till 12pm at Disneyland, or a partial day on your departure.

Edited: 9:45 pm, June 14, 2013
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,210 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

It's easy: Two days at Disneyland. Universal is really not designed for kids. It's more for teens and up. There are tons of things to do in L.A. with a kid (like the California Science Center -- home to the space shuttle endeavour). Save Anaheim for the theme parks.

United States
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

The two of us adults prefer Disneyland over universal. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

I'd go Disneyland and California Adventure Park. I've done DL 4 times and US once, id pick Disney every time.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland 2 days or Universal studios

If your 10-year old is anything like mine, he'll get a bigger kick out of US than driving from site to site in L.A. The Transformers and Kong 3-D rides, and the Simpsons and Jurassic Park rides are a lot of fun, along with a couple of decent shows, City Walk, and a pretty entertaining tour of the grounds...all more than appropriate for a 10-year old. We only go about once a year (versus a dozen trips to DL), but it is a fun way to spend the day and has a wholly different vibe than DL.

I wouldn't sacrifice a day at DL for it, but there won't be much harm in adding US to your Hollywood/LA agenda,

I love Hop's Shuttle recommendation, however.

What are you planning on doing during the Los Angeles leg?