We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Hi there,

we are 4 Aussie mums going on a big adventure to the states minus kids and husbands :) We are meeting in Vegas and then heading to California for a week. We have hired a house in Santa monica so were wondering is it better to fly from Las Vegas to Burbank or to LA main airport? We thought it might be quicker getting out of the airport if we go to a smaller one. What do you think?

Also is the airline Espirit ok? They have super cheap flights but wanted to get a local's opinion, cause we are wondering if they could be like our tiger airlines always late, unreliable etc. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Spirit Airlines is Ok...it's not the best budget airline in this country, but not exactly the worst either. I have family who have flown on Tiger Airlines and Air Asia and stuff down there in Australia/ SE Asia and they don't like those, and Spirit is a bit similar to that, so I'd avoid it if you don't mind paying a bit more for better service.

As for the flying question, LAX would be a better airport for Santa Monica, but not by much compared to Burbank. Burbank is a smaller airport and will be less of a hassle to get thru, but LAX is closer to Santa Monica. I would suggest you look at Southwest Airlines for flights...it's the most popular and biggest "non legacy" carrier here in the U.S. Reasonable bag charges also. www.southwest.com

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Google Maps (or Mapquest, or similar) is your friend:

http://goo.gl/maps/n1Iad

http://goo.gl/maps/Tw1rj

I really like BUR (Bob Hope Airport), as it's small and rather retro in look, but LAX is much closer to Santa Monica. How are you planning on getting from either airport and your hotel?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

For Santa Monica, LAX makes more sense, simply due to distance and traffic patterns. Burbank is smaller and theoretically quicker to get out of, but the longer drive to Santa Monica will probably cancel out that advantage.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

I'd also check into flying on JetBlue from Vegas to Long Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Virgin America has been named the top airline in regards to customer satisfaction, and flies from Las Vegas to LAX, and fares are about the same as the other discounted airlines.

For example, Santa Monica Cabs have a flat from its city to both LAX and Bob Hope (Burbank). It is $30 for much of the city to LAX, and $75 to Bob Hope. (Note, cabs from the airports are based on the meter).

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,272 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

You asked about LAX which is close to Santa Monica as well as Burbank but posted in the Anaheim forum. I know you are not local but It will help to follow Sutter's advise and check a map out so you can get your bearings. Southern California is large both in terms of distances and commute time and a car would be great if you want to get around.

LA
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Why is this posted on the Anaheim forum?

If you were going to Disneyland from Las Vegas, I'd fly into John Wayne Orange County airport ( SNA) on Southwest Airlines.

If you are staying in Santa Monica, I'd fly Southwest Airlines into LAX.

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,554 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Keep in mind Santa Monica is not near Disneyland. Its in Anaheim, which is really over a 1 hour drive North of that area, Im also wondering if you are planning on visiting Disneyland?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Spirit Air gets overall very poor ratings. And traffic from Burbank to Santa Monica can be horrendous.

Southwest into LAX is your best bet. They give you 2 free checked bags too. From LAX you can take the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus if you don't want to take a cab. The BBB Rapid Route 3 goes to Santa Monica. bigbluebus.com/Routes-And-Schedules/Rapid-3.…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it better to fly into Burbank than LA main airport?

Thankyou so much for your very helpful replies. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum. I am one step ahead as after staying in a house in Santa Monica for 4 days we are heading to Anaheim for 4 days to disneyland so looking at accommodation options there right now, so that's how i accidently posted in this forum.

Because of your helpful replies we are going to book a Southwest flight into LAX who happen to have a sale on right now for the next 24hrs! Can anyone recommend a minicab company that could take the 4 of us from LA airport to Santa Monica? We would be looking at using them a couple of times over the few days we are in Santa Monica in particular to visit the big shopping outlets.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California