We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Quality

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Water Quality

Hello, I hope this question doesn't cause any offence but I was wondering about the quality of the tap water in Anaheim and from the drinking fountains in DL/DCA. Specifically, are there any fellow kiwis lurking on here who have had any problems from drinking the water? Or locals who have had kiwi visitors? As we are travelling with four children I wonder if it would be better to play it safe and buy bottled? Thanks in advance and honestly no offence intended!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Water Quality

Thanks everyone for the replies - especially RedlandsRedhead for the tips on good brands to look out for.

No implication that Anaheim is in a "third-world country", I'm sure the water is fine when you have been drinking it all your life, the same doesn't always apply to visitors (trust me I know!). Thanks Andy C for not slamming me on this forum as well as the SF one.

MelbourneKaren - glad the Auckland water didn't kill you :)

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Water Quality

Despite the "no offence intended" comment, how could Californians not be offended? There certainly was an implication that Anaheim and California are third world countries because you asked about quality, not taste and would it be better to "play it safe" and buy bottled water.

The "I'm sure it is fine if you've been drinking it all your life" is another offensive comment further implying that somehow Anaheim and Californian have unsafe drinking water and that only if you build up a tolerance for it can you drink it.

I actually agreed with Andy C in his SF post. The first time I traveled to New Zealand and Australia, with my young children, it never crossed my mind to wonder about the quality of the water in either place because I know they are part of the "first world".

On our frequent trips to Mexico we never drink the tap water because we know Mexico is still largely a third world country.

The water taste will vary city to city as each city has their own sources, but the quality will not. The U.S. has some of the most stringent, some might say too stringent, waters laws in the world. The EPA rules have the U.S. headed to higher standards than some bottled waters.

Edited: 8:37 am, May 21, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Water Quality

+1, Sue_CdM

Now heading off to read the SF thread ;-)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Water Quality

Out of curiousity about the safety of bottled water, I did some reading yesterday and discovered that the FDA (Food and Drug Adminstration) oversees bottled water. That means that bottled water does not have to meet the same standards set down by law under the EPA as tap water. There is a possibility that a bottling plant could be run in a questionable manner that is not noticed. EPA is more of a watch dog, so, in essence, you are safer with tap water (except for areas that have recent extreme environmental damage - i.e. due to natural disasters). It is also possible for the material used to make a plastic bottle to be harmful to your health. This underscores the reason to research brands before purchasing bottled water, the kind of plastic they use, how they bottle the water.

Personally, I don't buy as much bottled water as I did in the past. I would like it if the consumption of bottled water went far down, because it is better for our enviroment. But, if someone wants to purchase it for use on a vacation, I see no real problem. Just don't think you need to use it to brush your teeth.

Edited: 7:18 pm, May 21, 2013
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Water Quality

I once stayed at a Lodging in Cheviot NZ and there were signs in the kitchen to boil the water. I gather it had something to do with sheep poo in the water source. And no I am not kidding.

Your kids are more likely to pick up a bug from touching handrails etc at Disneyland than drinking from the tap.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Water Quality

mlgb - some parts of NZ don't have water supplied so it's just collected rain water, so yes, perhaps there is some interaction with sheep poo - mmm, yummy!! Hand sanitiser is packed and they are all being dosed with echinachea from now until we leave. With six people travelling someone is bound to catch something - fingers crossed it's minor.

Gosh RedlandsRedhead, I've seen so many of your posts when you've gone out of your way to look into things for people - thanks. Would you still recommend the two brands you mentioned previously? Like you say, we never buy bottled water at home, this is purely for while travelling and we will bring our water bottles and use them as much as we can.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Water Quality

You do not need to buy bottled water. As stated many times already, the water is safe. If you arrive and do not like the taste by all means buy water. The point Red is making is that the tap water or water you receive in a restaurant is probably safer than bottled. If you still want to line Disney's pockets even further and buy their water at about $3 a bottle, they sell Dasani which is basically glorified tap water. If you want to buy spring water buy any of the brands that sell spring water but you will need to get it out of the parks. This is really a non issue blown up into a big deal. Not one comment has said the water in Anaheim is unsafe or will make you sick.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned getting ill from tap water and the implication is it is in a first world country. Which country was it?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,116 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Water Quality

On the SF forum posts regarding this, it was mentioned that the poster is very sensitive to variations in tap water and has gotten sick in Auckland (? or similar place near to home). I think the posts would have been somewhat better received if this information had been included originally, as it would have let us know they were asking for a specific unique reason.

Edited: 4:07 am, May 22, 2013
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Water Quality

Yes, I agree my original post was lacking information. I get sick when I drink the water in Sydney, yet I can drink the water in Melbourne. For me I got the result I was after - a heap of information to allow me to make a decision so thanks heaps to everyone.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,647 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Water Quality

Your question is not really new, its asked usually a few times a year, so I dont see what the fuss is all about. However, not for your reasons though that I can remember, just for general safety with drinking the local water.

Since you dont seem to even know what makes you sick with drinking certain water, Im not sure how helpful we can be.

If you are more comfortable drinking bottled water while your here just in case, you should do so.

You may want to consider purchasing a regular waterbottle that have a filter straw allready inside the bottle, that way, so you can fill it up at any tap, and your water will be double filtered when you drink it. They are easily available in lots of stores in California such as Walmart, Target, ect or really any store that offers camping type items.

Edited: 11:18 am, May 22, 2013