We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maricopa, Arizona
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Topic
Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Hello everyone!

In March 2007, which is, what? 9 months away, my husband and i will be going to disneyland, knotts berry farm, universal studios...my question is this...

are there any weight restrictions that would prevent me from being on the rides? I used to weigh 325lbs, however, since January 2006, just 6 months, i have been able to loose 55lbs, down to 270lbs, all on my own. i am thinking, it is possible i could be about 250lbs by the time we go on vacation, however, i don't want to go if my weight is going to hold me back on the rides.

my husband said we could go to vegas if i'm uncomfortable going to the theme parks, but i want to go and i am proud of the fact i've lost over 50lbs now...but, i'm just not sure if it's realistic to go to the parks, if i'm weighing 250lbs or so.

any ideas?

thank you all...

Charlene =)

Devon, Alberta...
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Good for you and congratulations! That is a lot of hard work and you should be very proud of yourself :)

I am sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I am sure you are not the only one who has that question...i hope you get the answer you are looking for

San Diego
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

If you're down to 250 by then, I would think you wouldn't find any problems. My dad used to be close to that, and he never had a problem. Most of the rides have adjustable belts or bars as restraints. And at the rate you're going, you might just be below 250 nine months from now. Keep up the good work, and congrats on the 55 lbs you've already dropped!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Many of the newer rides have a test seat, to make sure the safety restraints will work correctly.

At Universal, the Revenge of the Mummy is the one ride you need to worry about (has test seat out front), heck, I am 210 and can ride with no problem, but I am on the upper end.

Knott's has a few, Xcelerator and Silver Bullet have test seats. La Revolution is another one to worry about, they will allow you to enter thru the exit to test the fact you can ride.

Disney, the one ride they worry about is the Orange Stinger at DCA.

But the VAST majority of attractions at all the parks will accept all guests, so long as they meet the height requirements....

Go have fun, enjoy the theme parks!!!!!!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Charlene,

You definitely won't have any trouble in Disneyland with rides, you'll find people muc larger than you enjoying them. There is a fantastic report at http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/rid_trip.htm called an at large trip report which should put your mind at ease.

Go have fun and enjoy, we only live once!!

Congratulations on your weight loss to date too!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Go for it. I've been to the parks many times - My cousin and I are both plus sized in the 250 range and we are going to Universal, Knotts, Disney & Calif Parks next May. You should be able to do about 95 % of the rifes. Just accept that a few will not be possible - most of those are in the Roller Coaster types due to safety belt restrictions. I bought all the current guide books and only Econoline mentioned a size problem at Universal Studio's BAck to the Future. It says "a certain size" but doesn't elaborate.

We are working on our weight too - but the main thing is to work on our endurance by walking. Like us - you probably have some problems with walking distances and waiting lines.

HOWEVER - for $30 a day for the 3 days in Disney parks - we are going to rent ECV's Electronic Convenience Vehicles. I called the Park and you just get them as you enter the parks by the baby strollers. Its like an electrfic wheelchair so you can ride up to an attraction and get out & go on the ride. You'll also have a seat for the parades. A friend just got back and said that a lot of people with mobility problems were using them.

Keep up the good work. I hope we do as well by May.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

FYI, you can rent ECV's from many outside companies for a lot less than what Disney charges.

And another very good benefit, you can take the ECV away from the park, such as to and from your hotel, use it to explore Downtown Disney, etc....

Some folks recommend Alan's Wheelchairs, Deckert's is another company. They deliver to your hotel, and will pick it up when you are done. Just make sure and charge the chair overnight!

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Great idea Darkbeer -

We're staying at the Best Western Park Place Plaza across from the Park so do plan to go back and forth. When we get closer to the time - I'll see about getting outside ECV's. Got a great rate for next May - AAA $89 with CB for two bedded room. & free parking

Phoenix
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3707/Anaheim:…

To see (and edit/create) more Anaheim pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-s1/…Inside.html

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

9. Re: Weight Restrictions at the various amusement parks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 16, 2009