We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day, both parks: quick question pls

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
One day, both parks: quick question pls

Hi,

My mum and I (both adults) have only one day in Anaheim, so we're going to get a one day park hopper ticket (for Sunday May 5th). We realise that it will be quite a rush to fit as much in as we can, but we're just going to try to make the most of it.

I have researched the "top rides" in each park so our aim will be to cover those and see a couple of the shows. We'd really like to see Fantasmic, World of Colour and also the Fireworks.

I've had a look at the Disneyland website and Fantasmic is showing at 9pm and 10:30pm, the Fireworks are on at 9:30pm and WOC is on at 9pm and 10:15pm.

Is it possible to see Fantasmic at 9pm, the Fireworks at 9:30pm and then WOC at 10:15pm? More than anything, we'd like to see WOC. I'm not sure how long the fireworks go for?

Thanks in advance :o)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

You can try. You would not see the fireworks from the a viewing point that allows you to see the entire show. What you would do is go to the first show of Fantasmic at a good vantage point for that show in the New Orleans Square area and remain there after Fantasmic to view the higher aerial fireworks that will appear to burst over the Rivers of America. The narration and music for the fireworks play from speakers in the areas surrounding the Rivers of America. What you won't experience while there for the "Magical" fireworks show is lower level fireworks, special lighting on Sleeping Beauty's Castle, Tinkerbelle flying over the castle, and Dumbo flying over the castle. Guests after the first show of Fantasmic will hear an invitation to remain in the area to view fireworks. Many people stay. Some leave. This fireworks show lasts 14 minutes and then guests who leave the area are funneled through Adventureland (a compact area itself). You would hit some crowds in Main Street as you exit Adventureland. Duck into the Coke Corner to avoid them and wind your way through the interconnecting stores until you come to Carnation Cafe. If DCA Park closes at 10, you must be inside the park before closing to be allowed into the WOC viewing. So your goal would be to make it from New Orleans Square, through crowds, out the DL gates, across the central plaza to DCA within 15 min. or less. Too nerve racking for me!

Alternatively, you have about 10 min. after Fantasmic to leave the area, walk through Adventureland, down Main Street (and you will have cast members showing the way) and go all the way towards the Disneyland Railroad Station and Town Square and see the fireworks from there. After the show, exit DL Park and cross over to DCA. This might get you there in time (unless the WOC viewing area is full). If WOC has an 8:30 show, it could work this way: WOC, fireworks on Main Street, 2nd show of Fantasmic.

Edited: 5:18 am, April 27, 2013
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

Opps, I see that WOC has a 9 p.m. show (so an 8:30 show is not happening). After a 9 p.m WOC yiu have about 15 min. to clear the area, exit, cross to DL Park and view fireworks from Main Street if you can find a spot.

Now, an alternative is view the fireworks while walking up the right sidewalk in Main Street, duck through the Plaza Inn and run through Tomorrowland to Fantasyland and end by viewiing the rest there. This is not the best of course and you end up missing some of the show most likely, but it will put you in a better position to get into the Fantasmic viewing area for the 2nd show. Let me know if interested and I will post later.

Edited: 5:48 am, April 27, 2013
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

Thanks so much for that thorough info -you've advised me previously, I remember. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I think we might do it the way you mentioned. WOC at 9pm then head over to DL park to see the 9:30pm fireworks if we have enough time. Even if we just get a glimpse of the fireworks, we'd be happy. Then we'll see Fantasmic at 10:30pm.

How soon before Fantasmic starts do we have to be in the viewing area? Also, with the WOC, how early would we have to get there to get a good view? I understand we can get a fast pass for WOC -does that mean we don't have to arrive there too early for it?

This isn't really a related question, but I'm a little confused about the fast pass system. I have read the info on TA and I've noted which rides in each park allow a fast pass. I also understand that the two different parks run two different fast pass systems, so they can be utilised simultaneously. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is the idea to zig zag between the two parks, getting a fast pass from one, then getting a fast pass from the other then redeeming that first pass and repeating? Wouldn't it just be quicker to line up for each ride instead of going back and forth between parks?

Our plan is to cover the following rides, hopefully it's doable!

DL Park:

Indiana Jones

Pirates

Haunted mansion

Splash mountain

Matterhorn

Space mountain

CA Park:

Soarin'

California screamin'

Tower of Terror

Grizzly river run

Radiator springs racers

Also, should I buy our tickets online now, or wait until we get there?

Thanks again :o)

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

Hi, the fast pass, gives you a window for a certain time, so if the time is way off and the queues are long, then it works. You also go through a different line, to that of the normal one for the ride. You will have a lovely time!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

Fast Passes at Disneyland Resort used to be accepted beyond the time frame on the ticket (but not before) but that changed a couple of months agp. The best plan used to be to save the tickets, collecting them and using them as it was convenient after their start time. Now you must use them within the time frame, which makes using the system a bit different. I would agree that you might be zig zagging across parks. I don't think you will need to do that with the limited amout of rides you want to do. Are you aware of Single Rider Pass? It is possible to get one at Indy, Splash, Radiador Springs (highly recommeded there). Also the Matterhorn, so you might work that in as well. Single Rider Pass allows quicker access to ride loading for someone willing to ride separate from the rest of their party. You both can request one at the same time.

If you are staying until closing go on the Haunted Mansion close to closing. It has the least wait then most creepy. Or view Fantasmic from the river area across from and and head over there right after.

As long as the Big Thunder Trail, which runs from Fantasyland to Frontierland and Rivers of America, is open you can head over there right after seeing the fireworks in Fantasyland on the backside of the castle (between the carousel and Dumbo). Check on closures. Last I read they have the trail open on weekends. That is why I am sending you to Fantasyland. This "back way" trail gets you over to the Rivers of America with less hassle and crowds. You also would be right under the fireworks while in Fantasyland and may be in time to see close up Dumbo and Tink flying.

After you cut through Plaza Inn outside seating, head towards Tomorrowland Terrace and cut through the dance floor, then around the Matterhorn towards the Tea Cups.

If

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

I started to write that if you don't duck into the Plaza Inn seating area to cut through, you will get sent all away around the sidewalk and back down the other way to where you came from. (Cast members working crowd control aka guest control send one side up and the other down). You might want to duck into the last shop before the Plaza Inn and come out near it. It may be possible to watch the show from there. (If you do, duck back into the shop and allow some of the crowd to disperse before moving on. Also, I believe there still is a rest room right behind there next to the Baby Care Center and you could go in there if need be.

Note: I have not gone up Main Street during the fireworks (or right before) and the only part of the walk I have suggested that I have done is from Tomorrowland Terrace.

The second show of Fantasmic is the lesser attended show, but you still need to get over there soon after the fireworks end. Once you reach Frontierland, walk towards New Orleans Square to find the best viewing areas.

Sorry my advice is so location specific. You might need to study a map of DL to see where I have been leading you. : )

Edited: 1:09 pm, April 27, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

Fastpasses between Parks are not linked, so you could have a Fastpass at one Park, and hop over to the other Park and pick up one too at the same time, thats the reason for doing that.

Keep in mind that Radiator Spring Racer ride has the longest lines right now, and you are both Adults, I would suggest doing "Single Rider" for that ride so you dont waste too much time in line, that has the fastest line.

And keep in mind that the first few hours after opening time are the least busy for rides, so you would want to go on the ones that are most important to you then, and pick up a Fastpass for a busier ride for a few hours later.

Also keep in mind it will be a busier day since its a Sunday which brings in the locals, but, you are visiting in early May which should have lower crowds in general.

Also, since they have implimented new security measures, of taking a photo in line, and checking a Photo ID for adults each time you enter either Park. I would suggest getting to the park about 1 hour before regular opening time which will allow you to be in line

I would suggest getting your ticket ahead of time, no need to waste time at Disneyland doing that. You can print out an E-ticket at home which you take directly to the Turnstiles where they will scan it , check your ID and write your name on your ticket, and hand you back an actual ticket to use for the rest of your stay.

Space Mountain ....may or may not be open for your visit as they are closed right now and no word yet on when they will open. ( you can see the thread on that here in the Anaheim forum page)

Since you are picking the most popular rides to visit, this is what I would consider doing when trying to fit all of this in one day, but its just a general Idea, and you should alter it depending on your own schedule....

Arrive at Disneyland Park 1 hour before regular opening time. ( Main street and Buena Vista Street areas are is usually opened about 30 min before regular opening time, so you can at least be farther inside Disneyland when rides will open.

Indianna Jones is always very busy, I would suggest that ride first, then the Matterhorn. Then I would pick up a Fastpass for Space Mountain, or ride the ride if the line is not too long ( no more than 20 min)

Then I would head over to California Adventure Park...... and pick up a Fastpass for Tower of Terror, and ride Radiator Spring Racer ride single rider. Then after riding Tower of Terror, make your way over to California Screamin, and ride the ride, or pick up a Fastpass if the line is over about 30 min. Then make your way back over to Soarin Over California. After that, see how busy Grizzley River Run ride is. If its not busy, you could ride that ( or save for late in the day) Keep in mind you usually get soaked on that ride so you may want to bring inexpensive rain ponchos if you dont want to get wet.

I would suggest though, you might want to leave Splash Mountain, as well as Grizzley River Run ride till last so you can get wet, and then go back to your Hotel. And they are going to be much less crowds late at night.

Then, I would head over to Disneyland Park again and visit the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean ( which is the best ride in the Park Imo, and has the fastest moving line. Even if the line is out to the entrance its still usually only about a 20 min wait at most ) and, go on Splash Mountain ( if you have not already visited there)

As you can see, we can only give you a more general idea since it depends alot on what crowds are like for the day of your visit whether you would need a Fastpass or not ect. And if lines are short for some reason , you may want to go on a ride more than once at a time.

You also may end up with some time inbetween rides ect where you need to wait for a Fastpass time, or you have time later in the day to do rides again where you may want to visit some of the shows. Great moments with Mr Lincoln is a good shorter show.

As far as nighttime show goes, Reds suggestion is a good one, and about the only way you are going to see partials of all three shows. What I may suggest though is actually consider leaving the World of Color show about 5 minutes early, as alot of people will be trying to make thier way across to Disneyland Park to watch the Fireworks, after the show, and that would allow you to at least be inside Disneyland Park when the Fireworks start.

Usually about 30 min before showtime for Fantasmic is enough time especially at the later show to get a pretty good spot. The show is on the water in basically the middle of the Rivers of America.

You can also get something called Mousewait for free on your phone, which has people calling in telling them what the wait times are within the Park on the various rides, and that can be helpful in knowing which rides to go on at what times.

http://mousewait.com/

Edited: 1:42 pm, April 27, 2013
United States
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

I think the line at soarin over ca is the worst. I'd use fp there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

It really depends since Carsland opened that has been taking alot of traffic away from the other areas, and its been reported that Soarin has had less of a line, especially if you visit in the morning. So you will just have to go and see if you need a Fastpass or not for that ride when you get in that area.

Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day, both parks: quick question pls

Try not to squeeze too much in. I know that you may want to but I think WAY too many people rush and squeeze it all in and not "feel" the magic of Disneyland. You may have a more enjoyable and magical experience if you miss some major attractions and relax and enjoy the little things that make DL so great.