We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salinas, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

I'm planning a trip to Disneyland/California and Universal Studios in October. I was wondering how fun it would be for a 3 year old to visit Universal Studios? or should I choose one of the other theme parks, and if so which one do you suggest? i'm staying 5 days in the area.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

Universal has a few things for kids to do, they have a small playground designed for little ones.

But the park is mainly the Tram Tour, then shows and movies. Most 3 year olds get bored with these things.

Knott's Berry Farm has a great kids area in Camp Snoopy, lots of rides designed for kids, and the price is just $14.95 for kids 3 thru 11.

http://www.knotts.com/

Knott's is also close to Disneyland, an easy drive, or you can take the LA Metro Bus route 460 between Disneyland and Knott's, about a 20 minute bus ride.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

IMO Legoland is hands down the best theme park for preschoolers other than Disney. It is a bit of a drive, but not too much traffic since you would be headed out of town in the morning. Universal is a waste of time and $ for that age.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

I agree - Legoland (1 day) and DL/Cal Adventure (get a 2 or 3 day park hopper) are the best parks for a Toddler. Universal really doesn't have much for that age and much of what they have is too intense for the younger kids. Knott's Berry is also fun - but I would put Legoland ahead of it. One consideration though, while the rides at Legoland are pretty mellow, most of them have a 36" height requirement.

Salinas, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

I'm going the week of October 9th through 13th...do you suggest I wait to go to Disneyland on Tuesday rather than Monday since it is Columbus Day? Also, what other attractions do you suggest? I am planning on going to Medieval Times on Thursday.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

Yes, Tuesday will be a LOT lighter wih shorter lines than a holiday.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

Tuesday will be better. Favorite rides of my kids at that age (they love rides).

Small World (line moves fast), Peter Pan & Mr. Toads Wild Ride

Gadgets Go Coaster

Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise

Pirates & Haunted Mansion

Buzz Lightyear

7. Re: Universal Studios and a 3 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, August 15, 2009