Plan on using Amtrak to transfer between Anaheim and SD. Actually I have a few questions.
1. It's a week long trip- I hope to pack efficiently, but we'll have some luggage. Should I definitely plan on checking baggage? That means we'll have to get to the station 45 min-1 hour in advance.
2. I haven't decided on which departure time I want, but I understand it is probably going to be cheaper to buy online in advance. Is that correct?
3. Will the train be very busy mid-day Wednesday June 5?
4. Of course we want to sit on the right, and I read here that it's important to be some of the first on the train. How long is the train at the station?
5. We'll probably take the 11:53 am or the 1:08 pm train- is there anywhere we can eat there, between the time we check our baggage and the time the train arrives? We may just eat on the train, but it would be something to do while we waited, too.
Can't decide if we want to leave earlier in the day and have more time in SD, or if we want to squeeze in a 4th morning at DL and catch a later train! It costs $100 to add a day to our DL tickets. We will already have 3 day PH with our CityPass. Then we have our travel to SD day and 2 full days in SD- one for Sea World and one for Mission Beach area. Our arrival afternoon probably hanging out at the Mission Bay Park or The Dana pool area. So we could leave early and have most of Wednesday at SD. Or sleep in a little, leave mid-day and have mid-afternoon/evening at SD. Or go to DL for the morning, leave later and just have the evening in SD. So hard to decide now whether we will want more time in DL or in SD.