We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels near DLR

8 posts
Save Topic
hotels near DLR

We are planning a trip to DLR August 10-18th this year (yes I know it is going to be hot and busy but with work holidays and school it is either then or over New Years and that's when we went last time). My husband and I are bringing our 13 year old and 14 month old.

After reading many of the posts on here we want to stay within walking distance to the resort as using the ART system will be a pain with a stroller etc. We have narrowed it down to the Ramada Maingate at the PArk, the Howard Johnson (although concerned about the noise from the highway and no breakfast included), The Camelot. What are these hotels like, how are the breakfast? Are one of the other hotels in this area a better choice? We would like to spend under $175/night. Thanks for all your help

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels near DLR

Welcome to the Forums vicgymmom,

In case you have not see it, Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are located. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

I have actually stayed at all three of the properies you have mentioned.

They are different from each other in that the Howard Johnsons is a standard well rated Hotel, and has the more comfortable beds than the other two mentioned, and interior corridors. Its about an 11 min walk down Harbor Blvd, through the Disneyland Main Entrance, and to the actual Turnstiles that go into either Park, and offers Art Shuttle service. Noise can be an issue in some rooms, but thier is a high noise breaker wall. The 2 queen rooms (which you may be looking at?) some are located near to the freeway side, and there can be substantial rumbling noise for those rooms, it just depends on how sensitive you may be. While the noise was annoying, I did not find I had trouble sleeping once I got to sleep. You can request a room away from the freeway side, but in August I doubt if that request could be acommodated when they are busy. There is also a 15% off Mousesavers discount that anyone can use with the Promocode LKMS or by mentioning the discount when calling direct.

The Camelot Inn..... is a well rated standard Motel with exterior corridors, but the corridors are very quiet in comparison to other Motels since they are wider and part ot the actual building. Rooms are clean, and the property is pretty well run for a Motel. It has a small Pool area. Its about a 7 min walk. Breakfast is a standard Continental breakfast, so not much.

The Ramada Inn Maingate.... is also a standard Motel. They are undergoing some major additions though to thier Hotel, and in the process of updating some of their rooms, Im not sure how far they would be by August or if that would impact your visit. However, there are still likely alot of rooms that are not updated at all, and those are in need of some serious repair Imo. Rooms that are the Premium Rooms, have all been updated. Its about a 10 min walk since most rooms are set so far back on the property. It has a pretty large pool area that has been updated in the last few years. Breakfast is a standard Continental breakfast.

So, it just depends on what you may be looking for. You may also want to consider the Fairfield Inn.... which is a Hotel, but with mostly exterior corridors, and comfortable beds, about an 8 min walk, and should be in that price range.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,849 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels near DLR

I had a 2 Q room in Building 1 at Howard Johnson (Hojo) last May. I think it was 4th floor and it had a 'view' of the freeway. There was really no noise at all. The window & sliding glass door are thick so it's quiet.

I think the 14 month old would enjoy the super shallow 'baby pool' in the Castaway Cove area. Photo: tripadvisor.com/…41291844 The 14 year old will get tired of this small waterpark quickly, but perhaps one parent can spend more time at Disneyland with the teen while the other relaxes at the pool with the toddler or relaxes in the quiet room during nap time.

Breakfast wasn't an issue for us. We stocked the mini-fridge and used the microwave.

Have a great time!

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels near DLR

Thank you happytotrip and pacificNWFamily for your replies. Happytotrip, if you had to choose a hotel to stay at that is on the Harbour strip (walking distance to DLR) which would you choose? Also, we are now contemplating going July 10-18 instead as younger child will start daycare a week after getting back in August and we thought it may be rough. Is there a difference one way or the other in terms of crowds etc?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels near DLR

If I was going to choose a hotel under $175 a night walking distance I'd choose the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn, Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn or Fairfield Inn. At maybe slightly more I'd look at the Residence Inn Maingate.

Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels near DLR

We stayed at one of the King Family suits with bunks at Hojos on ther Freeway side and had no trouble with noise. We loved it. I believe they may have sound proofed some of the windows recently? I have booked there again for this Decemeber. It also also across the road from the fabulous Mimi's which was great for breakfast (and lunch and dinner!), although we often just had cereal in our rooms and used the microwave.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels near DLR

vicgymmom,

As far as dates go, I think I might pick the July dates over the ones in August. Most of the time its going to be about the same crowdwise in most of both of those months, however, there is the D23 Expo – August 9–11 for 2013, which is basically a Disneyland Fan event which bring in quite larger crowds.

For refference, as far as Howard Johnsons is concered, I have only stayed recently in Building #2 and those times I was close to the freeway.

As far as places to stay goes... Thats a very hard question to answer, since my needs when I visit are likely quite different from yours. All Im interested in is a clean standard inexpensive place to stay most of the time, as I am only there for sleeping, and to be as close as possible to the Main entrance as its allready alot of walking around at Disneyland.

Scotts suggestions are good ones to consider. The BW Park Place Inn..... mentioned is a good standard well rated Motel thats the closest to the Entrance, and I have stayed there many times. Its a short 5 min walk across the street, and to the Turnstiles that go into either Park, but has standard Continental breakfast, and small pool area.

The Fairfield Inn....is a good inbetween type of place since it will have the more comfortable beds of a Hotel, but still has mostly exterior corridors.

I would have no hesitation to stay at the Camelot Inn... which is a good standard Motel as I mentioned, or really any of the ones mentioned here. Howard Johnsons..... though is just too far of a walk for me when you have to factor in that 11 min walk just to get to the Turnstiles. And its longer really to walk back since it can take about 5 min just to walk to the entrance to Disneyland to leave, and then you still have the 11 min more to walk to the Hotel.

Even the Fairfield is slightly farther than I want to be since the Hotel is set back a little. I try to stay somewhere inbetween the Camelot Inn to the North, and the Anaheim Inn to the South of the Disneyland Maingate entrance.

The Residence Inn Maingate..... is a well rated nice Hotel about a 15 min walk with Art Shuttle service. The perks are, its a nice Hotel with those amenties, and offers free full breakfast as well as some weeknight light meals. And its across the street from the Anaheim Gardenwalk which has alot of restaurants. It also offers full kitchens, so it really just depends on what you are looking for.

Edited: 1:30 pm, April 01, 2013
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels near DLR

Thanks for all your help, everyone! We officially booked yesterday. July 13-21 at the BW Park

Place Inn. Ultimately location trumped everything. Looking forward to further planning our family vacation with the help of TA

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels near DLR

Glad you found somewhere you were interested in staying at. As with any of the smaller Motels like the BW Park Place Inn, its a good idea to request a room in the back of the property as it tends to be quieter with all of the families going back and forth to Disneyland.

I would also not be eating at the Captain Kidds restaurant which is not actually part of the Best Western, but is a separate restaurant, and does not have a very good reputation. However, the upstairs part is used by the Best Western as thier Breakfast room, and the breakfast there is fine.

Hope you have a fun trip!

Edited: 12:37 pm, April 02, 2013
United States
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels near DLR

We stayed at BWPPI in January and enjoyed our stay!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels near DLR

I'm staying there for the second time next month, it's now my first choice after having stayed at a few others, including HoJo's. The rooms are fine, nothing flash, but it really is all about the location.