We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

Auckland
4 posts
Save Topic
Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

Hi, has anyone stayed at both Embassy Suites South and Hampton Suites Garden Grove and can say which may suit us better. We are a family of 4 (2 teenage kids) and have checked out both hotels online and wonder which to choose as they both seem to be similar in price and offer the same services. We will have 10 days there. We are looking for roomy accommodation with kitchen (both have 2room suites but ESS doesn't have cooking facility), quiet hotel, breakfast and light evening snacks (both have this), shuttle to Disneyland (both have this), close to family restaurants and shopping mall, facility to book local tours (into LA and to beaches). I guess the cooking doesn't matter if breakfast and evening meal is provided. Lunch will be outside the hotel anyway.

Also, we have another week to spend in southern California. Should we stay in San Diego (we want to see the Zoo and Seaworld) or stay on in Anaheim and do the day trips from there.

Would New Year's Eve be easier to handle at Disneyland or at the beach, say - Huntington, Newport, Laguna Beach (as far as crowds are concerned).

Thanks a lot.

Spring Valley, CA
Level Contributor
602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

sunnygee, I am probably biased since I live in San Diego, but I would come down here for a few days at least-it's a great place to visit, Sea World and the Zoo, but don't forget Balboa Park (lots of neat museums, from photography to Japanese tea room, hands-on Science center and IMAX movies) and La Jolla Shores (caves you can go into that the sea crashes into) to Coronado Beach(with the Hotel del Coronado and where the Navy Seals train, you may even get a free "military show" if they are on maneuvers-have seen aircraft carrier plane launches and beach "attacks"), Wild Animal Park, etc.( I would avoid Legoland as your kids are older and would be bored) You can tour an aircraft carrier that is out of commission if you like, or the Star of India (old sailing ship). The only bad thing about the beaches is that it may be pretty cold in winter, so surfing or boogieboarding would require a wetsuit at least, if you could stand to get in the icy water at all.If you do remain in Anaheim there is lots to do too, Knott's Berry Farm is great, Six Flags Magic Mountain about an hour or so north, same with Universal Studios.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

Hi,

We stayed in Embassy Suites South last August with 2 children aged 13 and 10 and I would recommend it. It was the best priced suite we could find at the time and you do get ALOT for your money. The suites are very spacious and spotlessly clean and not having cooking facilities (other than microwave) was not an issue at all for us - I wouldn't dream of cooking on holiday!!

I would imagine that the Staybridge would be very similar to the Embassy as most of the hotels in Garden Grove are virtually brand new and there is alot of competiton so they have to be good.

By the way, the Embassy don't provide an evening meal. They provide snacks which are savoury nibbles and popcorn with free alcoholic drinks for one or two hours at tea time.

With regards to splitting your time between destinations - I would say most definately stay in San Diego. We split our time and stayed there and it was wonderful, would recommend it to anyone. The change of scenery from Garden Grove/Anaheim is good. La Jolla is so pretty and you do have all the attractions of the zoo, seaworld etc etc as mentioned in the previous post.

Enjoy your trip and let us know where you decide to stay in Garden Grove area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

Sorry Sunnygee, I read too quickly and thought you were considering Staybridge Suites. I now realise it was Hampton Suites. I checked out the pictures from TAdvisor and based on them I would say that the Embassy Suites are of much better quality and are far more spacious. The Embassy suites seem to be a much newer property, although a few people did mention that the Hampton was being refurbished. Personally though I would choose Embassy Suites.

Auckland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

Holidaynut, thanks for this helpful information. Yes, we will split our time. The more I think about it the more I feel we should spread out as this is a one-off trip for us and we should move around to make the most of our time there. I have heard that the San Diego district is wonderful with its attractions and geographic location. And we have decided on Embassy Suites South. Can't wait.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

Sunnygee,

I'm glad to have been of some assistance to you!

You have definately made the right decisions, without a doubt!

Have a wonderful time

All the best.

6. Re: Embassy Suites South vs Hampton Suites Garden Grove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 13, 2009