We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones for USA

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones for USA

I am travelling to the USA in May for 1 month (with sister mum and 3 small children) we will be visiting San Fransisco,Anaheim, Las Vegas and San Diego. My sister and i want to buy a cheap pre paid phone with credit so that we can contct each other. (mainly if we get separated especially with children). I have heard that we can get these from AT &T in Disneyland. I don't really understand how it all works. PLEASE can anyone give me some advise and information. Thank you Georgie Girl

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones for USA

Hi GeorgieGirl,

Here's a link to the AT&T website that may help explain things for you:

att.com/shop/…Tt728V9Brdz

Also, there are plenty of other prepaid cell phone providers out there where you can buy prepaid phones, including Walmart.

walmart.com/cp/cell-phones-accessories/542371

(I see that Walmart has a $20 off promotion on the AT&T GoPhone.)

In a nutshell, you can find plans with various prices and features that will meet your needs (e.g., unlimited minutes, unlimited text, or unlimited data; or plans that may be less expensive but only allow say 200 texts in 30 days).

I can't say for certain, but I would suspect that you'd be paying a higher price for a phone you buy at Disneyland just because it's Disneyland. I could be wrong on that, though. I'd check a Walmart, Radio Shack, or individual provider store (AT&T, Verizon) before purchasing at Disney.

Hope that helps.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones for USA

Hi. We bought 2 phones at the 7/11 just down from Disneyland. I think they were $10 each and we put $20 credit on each. They were great. We were able to phone Australia, but we had to put in some code before we were able.

We have lent them to multiple friends who have travelled to the US, and we'll take them back with us when we're there in May.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones for USA

I would go online, buy it before you leave and have it shipped to your hotel. That way it is waiting for you when you arrive

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones for USA

I would go online, buy it before you leave and have it shipped to your hotel. That way it is waiting for you when you arrive

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phones for USA

Advice in Posts numbered 3 and 4 provide a considerably more expensive option.

I'd go with the nearest 7-11 which are small convenience stores located all over town. You could google the location, or ask your hotel where the nearest one is.

Or the nearest Target store, or Walmart.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phones for USA

Where are you staying in Anaheim?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phones for USA

Not necessarily more expensive option. Check prices on eBay and you will see they are comparable to retail, and sometimes even cheaper

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phones for USA

Just go into a A & T store and they can put a sim in your phone from OZ if it has been UNLOCKED!! Go into your provider and ask them if and how to unlock your phone :)

That's what I did, had no trouble at all!

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phones for USA

If you get a sim in your own phone, I believe some Aus phones are tri band, and US phones are quad band, something like that. Just check it all out first.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phones for USA

Thank you to everyone for your info. Maybe just going to a shop once i get there and purchase them is the way to go! We don't have a car, so will have to use shuttles or buses to get to a walmart. We will be staying at the Desert Palms inn and suites on West katella. When I went to Anaheim a few years ago, I took an Australian phone that Optus said would be fine and was unlocked and I pre bought a sim card that was supposed to work in the states!! However, when we arrived and i entered all the appropriate codes etc Nothing... This time i would like to be a bit more prepared. Thanks agqin everyone your advice is very much appreciated. Georgie Girl