We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern California
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

Hello,

We are visiting Disneyland and California Adventure next week (28th-2nd). We have a 4 yr old and 1 yr old and were wondering if World of Color is too ambitious to try with the 4 yr old. I've read a lot online about people being disappointed with the view, waiting for hours, weighing up the pros and cons of Fastpasses and picnic meals etc, and my husband suggested that we just skip the hassle and put our energies elsewhere. But we viewed the clip on the Disney website and it does look fantastic.

Any thoughts??

We also read about being able to see the show from the Cove Bar. Would our 4 yr old be admitted there??

Thanks!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,928 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

I think I'm in the minority, but I wasn't as impressed as most folks. And the 4-almost-5-year-old in our group was too tired to enjoy it.

That may not help, but know that whatever you choose to do with your family will be just right. And next time you go to Disneyland & California Adventure, there will be both new & old experiences for you.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

I was not impressed with it- neither was my dad- and it's a long wait for kids. Now, granted, I saw lots of people letting their toddlers snooze while they waited so maybe that will work for you. But it can be a long wait, I suspect, when it's crowded.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

I think it is a lot to go through even for adults! I'd tend to agree with your husband. A four year old might enjoy Fantasmic, instead, since it is more than images on water. Just ne aware there is a dragon that comes out of the water near the end that might be scary. There is much more to Fantasmic than there is to WOC. I would be inclined to see the first Fantasmic show and stay at the river area to view the aerial fireworks with kids that young ~ in order to have an easier time waiting for the fireworks. But if I really wanted to see the full fireworks show, then I would get to the area in front of the castle early. Still seems like less of a hassle than WOC.

Edited: 2:51 am, February 24, 2013
Northern California
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

Hi! Thanks everyone. That is very helpful.

Redlands, when you say "if you want to see the full fireworks get to the Castle early" - does this mean that from the Fantasmic area you cannot see all the fireworks?? What is the best viewing for the fireworks and also for Fantasmic?

Thanks!!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

The fireworks show that is scheduled at this time of year is "Remember, Dreams Come True". Besides aerial fireworks, it features some ground fireworks at the castle, some other fireworks that appear to surround the area, special lighting effects on the castle and the Matterhorn, and Tinkerbelle flying and dipping down over the castle. The show is a tribute to Disneyland and Walt Disney's dream of creating it ~ making dreams come true. It features an introduction by Julie Andrews as well as a recording of Walt Disney speaking his "Welcome" dedication speech from the opening day of Disneyland. For some people it is very special to hear this while viewing the castle.

At the Rivers of America only the higher aerial fireworks can be seen. The soundrack can be heard. The best place to view Remember is considered to be in the streets directly in front of the castle or to the sides, but not down Main Street. Fantasmic is best seen close to the River anywhere between Pirates and Haunted Mansion. It is easier to find a place directly across from the Haunted Mansion.

Edited: 1:08 pm, February 24, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

Theres a couple of Cheer and Dance Competitons that will make it a little busier at Disneyland for your dates, so you may want to keep that in mind.

anaheimoc.org/convention-calendar/m/2013-02

A general plan with a smaller child is to fit in only 1 of the later night shows per night, and dont expect that they may be awake for some of them, its a long day at Disneyland.

It just depends on whats important to you. With all of the shows you can usually show up about 15-20 before the show and get a view of some of the larger things going on for the show. Or, if its important to be up front, then you may want to show up about 1 hour before showtime.

If you can possibly fit them in a stroller, i would do that as well, theres just no way a 4 year old will last very long at the Park without one.

Edited: 9:00 pm, February 24, 2013
Northern California
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

Thanks Redlands for the fireworks info. That's great to know, I think our 4-yr-old would enjoy the full view very much. I'll have to become more familiar with our map :)

Our 1-yr-old has just come down with a terrible cold so there's a chance we may have to cancel :( But we're trying to be optimistic! If we do cancel we will reschedule probably for October. We were trying to go at a low-crowd time and we read that anytime from mid-March onwards was spring break season... this is correct right?

Thanks again everyone!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

Lower crowds would be the month of May avoiding the Memorial Day weekend, and Sept avoiding Labor Day Weekend. But that also would mean that hours are shortened during that time, and Fantasmic and the Fireworks are only offered on weekends, Fri,Sat,Sun. But usually a nightly World of Color show.

If you need to go in Oct, the last week of the month usually has the lowest crowds. There would also be the Mickey's Halloween Parties going on in that month as its Halloweentime, heres more info on that from last year.

wdwinfo.com/Disneyland/Events/Halloween.htm

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,562 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

About the Cove Bar.... Yes your 4 year old from what I understand can go into that area, just cannot sit at the actual Bar area. It does cost $10 per person though I believe to stay there to watch the World of Color show, so you may just want to get a picnic meal which comes with a Fastpass to watch the show instead, or just pick up a Free Fastpass for World of Color show.

Edited: 10:57 pm, February 24, 2013
10. Re: World of Color for 4 year old - worth it??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 26, 2014