We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

Roswell
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

We will be traveling to LA for about 7 days in March/April and will be doing first two days @Disney, then doing all of the Hollywood touristy stuff for the remainder of the time. I need to know what would be a safe city in between those two areas where I might find a cheaper hotel than the prices paid closer to the attractions. Safety is crucial since it will only be my daughter and myself.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

Well, Los Angeles, the city itself, would be an option. Or Buena Park, closer to Knott's Berry Farm area.

What are you planning budget wise for the hotels? And what do you look for in a hotel during your visit?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

Anaheim hotels tend to be cheaper than hotels in the central LA area, but then you'd be dealing with back and forth travel times (about 45-60 minutes each way by car) between Anaheim and the LA area.

Can you give us an idea of what budget you're thinking of per night for the LA area hotel, and also let us know if you'll have a car, or not?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

I would stay in Anaheim, a couple of low cost options are the Alpine Inn and Extended Stay America Convention Center.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29092-Anaheim_Califo…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

Welcome to the forums Dawn T,

Some people do choose to just stay in Anaheim to visit, but since really the majority of your trip seems to be in LA vs Anaheim, you may want to consider staying in Anaheim for a few days to visit Disneyland, and then staying in the LA area for the rest of your stay.

For the Disneyland part of your trip, if you would like help finding somewhere to stay, if you can tell us what kind of place you want to stay, and how close you want to be to Disneyland, along with a budget per night, and dates of travel, and we can help you find something

To get you started, here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area, most of the places to stay closest to the Disneyland Main Entrance would be standard Motels, with a few Hotels in a little farther walking distance. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Consider also posting a question of where to stay in the Los Angeles forum for your visit there, its likely they can find you somewhere inexpensive but quite a safe area to stay in. Be sure to include a budget per night for a Hotel, since they cant know what you may think of as inexpensive, as well as dates of travel, as rates will vary widely with the seasons.

Heres the LA forum

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

I would like yo know if I choose to stay at the Sheraton Park Hotel in Anaheim across from Disney Land? Would that be a good base for eight nights? I plasn on taking tours Thanks something or other

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

The Sheraton Park Hotel is a very nice well rated Hotel about a 15 min walk with Art shuttle service if you dont want to walk. Some rooms would also have a view of Disneyland.

There are tours that would go from Anaheim to the LA area such as Grayline Tours or Starline Tours.

However, tours of the LA area are said to be better in the actual LA area. You will spend likely about 3 or 4 hours at least of your day being shuttled to the Tour Company, and traveling back and forth to LA. Since LA is about a 1 hour drive in good traffic.

Usually people who choose to stay in Anaheim to visit LA will have a Car so its not as big of an issue, although its still about a 1 hour drive from Anaheim to LA in good traffic.

Im sure the LA forum can help you find something in a good area thats family friendly and safe, if you decide you want to stay in that area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

Just so you are also aware, most of March and April is very busy at Disneyland as there are various Spring Breaks, Conventions, and School Competitions in the area. For 2013, March 22-31 will be the busiest week as its a Spring Break for most Secondary and Elementary School in the U.S.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

Dawn T, you will find inexpensive hotels near Disneyland. What were you looking to pay per night?

There are few towns I would stay in between Anaheim and Hollywood. There is zero advantage to staying in between the two places. If you want to see both Disneyland and Hollywood I'd spend 3 nights in Anaheim and 3 nights in Hollywood.

For LuciaLucia, you are usually better off starting your own topic because you and Dawn T are asking very different questions and you'll get confusing, cross posted answers.

The Sheraton Park is a fine hotel, but where do you want to take tours to? Are you planning on visiting Disneyland? What else do you want to see?

I'd give you the same general advice I gave Dawn T, split time between LA & Anaheim if you want to see a significant number of sights in each area. If you want Starwood properties you can look at the Sheraton Universal, W Hollywood in Hollywood, the Sheraton and Westin in Downtown LA and the SLS Hotel in (almost) Beverly Hills.

Roswell
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

We will be renting a car and driving around. Trying to see Disney, maybe Knotts, Venice, Hollywood, Universal Studios, and maybe downtown. Trying to keep hotel about 100/nt or less since we will literally only be there just to sleep/ shower only. Thanks, everyone

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe city with cheaper hotels between Anaheim and hollywood

You can find aprx $100 a night in each area.

In Hollywood look at the Days Inn Hollywood, Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, Motel 6 Hollywood and Quality Inn Hollywood.

In Anaheim look at the Candy Cane Inn, Alpine Inn, BWP Park Place Inn and Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites. Try using some of the pricing tools here or Hotwire.