We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

Hi

Hoping someone could help me with dates

Looking to go to disneyland and i have the option of early or late july.

Just wondering if it is going to make a difference with how busy it is

Thanks

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

All of July is busy, but the first week tends to be busier due to the special 4th of July events held at the park, including special fireworks that weekend.

So late July might be a bit better, but still very busy.

Check out something like Touring Plans if you want more detailed info.

http://touringplans.com/?property=dlr

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,099 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

I've been to Disneyland Park in late July the last couple of years. Last year was better than the year before crowd-wise due to the new Carsland in the other park. I imagine the Radiator Spring Races in Carsland will still have long lines this summer and it will take some planning to get onto that ride.

What I noticed in Disneyland Park in late July is the popular rides that do not use Fast Pass get very long lines in the early afternoon that last all day until near closing. Pirates had an extremely long line. You are going to need to hit those rides early (or late right before closing) and collect Fast Passes early in the morning for use on the rides that take them later in the day. Word is that Disneyland Resort Parks will no longer take the Fast Passes beyond their end times during the same day, however they still have not begun to implement that policy - with the exception of Radiator Springs Racers. So you will want to keep checking on that as it gets close to July.

You might benefit from using Ridemax to plan your days out. It is an inexpensive dpwnloadable software program developed by some Disney Parks employees. I think one review said you need to have downloaded it no more than 30 days in advance of your visit for it to be accurate or to work. It gets good reviews. www.ridemax.com Other than that, you could just gather lots of information and tips for visiting the parks during a peak season and develop your own plan.

Some elementary schools do go back in session in late July, but probably not enough to make much of a difference in attendence. Our Independence Day is in early July (the 4th) and it will be crowded wherever you go around that date and on that day. However, sometimes travelers from other countries do like to plan to visit then so that they can be part of that time and see how we celebrate. Disneyland will get very crowded on that day and dates surrounding it. They will have a special patriotic fireworks show in place of the regular nightly fireworks. Every night there is a patriotic ceremony on Main Street anyway, the Flag Retreat Ceremony, so foreigners can still witness that if not going on the 4th of July.

Edited: 4:12 pm, January 28, 2013
Yakima WA
Level Contributor
5 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

Does anyone know if there are school holidays in the month of May?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

The last weekend of May, the 24th through the 27th is Memorial Day weekend, and then students start getting off for the school year right after that.

The one thing that impacts the park is the Grad Nites offered in May and June that bring in extra students. It used to be a night only thing, but the new program allows them to enter the park during the day as a "mix-in", and then get to stay after official closing.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

iluvyak,

Most of May is usually a good time to visit Disneyland crowdwise, but, you should be aware that most of May has shorter hours during the weekdays and the Fireworks and Fantasmic show is usually only on the weekends, Fri,Sat,Sun. There is usually a nightly World of Color Show.

Heres the list of Grad nites in May, while it may be busier on that date than usual if you cant avoid those dates in May you would likely still be fine to go on those days

May 9

May 10

May 11

May 15

May 16

May 17

May 18

May 22

May 23

May 24

May 29

May 30

May 31

Edited: 12:23 am, February 28, 2013
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

It is better to go with late July to skip all rush and enjoy a peaceful holiday vacation in Disneyland with kids.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

Its not going to be very "peaceful" in July at Disneyland!!

vancouver, british...
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

We are going during the grad nights in May and will be there the weekend of May 18th. We want to go one of the weekend days and then we will use the rest of our 5 day passes during the week.

Everything I have read lately indicates Sundays are busier than Saturdays due to all but premium APs being blocked out Saturdays. However, Grad night is on Saturday, May 18th.

So which day should be better crowd wise. Saturday May 18th which most APs are blocked out but is a Grad Night or Sunday, May 19th which only the Southern Calif. Select AP is blocked but no grad night?

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,099 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

I think the reason Coastal22 suggested the end of July is because some elementary schools go back into session then. Also, their thinking is the grad nights and holidays are over by then (until Labor Day). Personally, I like the begiing of June to mid-June better than July or May since the summer hours and entertainment begins for most parks yet local families may just start planning their vacations. I have yet to try Disneyland in June, but did Knott's last June and really liked it. I got the feeling the employees looking forward to the fun summer season. By the end of July and going into August I think theme park employees are a bit worn out.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,075 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland Dates/ School Holidays

liveforvacations,

Im not sure we can help you much with this question. Its really a "toss up" Imo. In other words no way to really know which day may be busier, or they may be about the same crowdwise.