We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

I am arriving with my family (3 kids 12, 10 and 7) in LA at 7am on a Friday morning. (19 July) and transferring to HoJo hotel.

I want to spend a full day in each of the two Disney Parks. (Lets just say the Saturday and Sunday)

Do you suggest Universal or Knotts Berry Farm or the knotts berry waterpark as a third park day?

I also want to hire a car and check out LA/Hollywood/Beverly Hills. What do you all suggest I do with regards to this? Where should we go, what should we see. (Been to Venice Beach so not that keen to go back there with our limited time)

Also, travelling from Australia, by the time we get through immigration etc and get to the HoJo, what do you all suggest we do for the balance of the arrival day.

Finally, we leave on the Wednesday at 11:30 for a flight to Vancouver. We are leaving from Anaheim airport. Do you suggest we change hotels for the last couple of nights and stay closer to LAX and do our touring around LA before flying out, and then of course change flights to fly to Vancouver out of LAX?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

>>>we leave on the Wednesday at 11:30 for a flight to Vancouver. We are leaving from Anaheim airport. Do you suggest we change hotels for the last couple of nights and stay closer to LAX and do our touring around LA before flying out, <<<

It sounds like you are asking if you sould change your departing flight from SNA to LAX and stay overnight in LA. No, I don't think that would be good. SNA is going to be a much easier experience than LAX, plus you won't need that much time in LA (according to what I understand you want for your vacation). Changing hotels and flying out of LAX would make your vacation more stressful.

You can decide to tour LA prior to your last day at Disneyland Resort Parks, or prior to Knott's Berry Farm. For instance: Saturday - Disneyland Resort Park(s), Sunday - Drive to LA and tour LA/Hollywood (traffic would be better than on a weekday anyway) , Monday - Disneyland Resort Parks, Tuesday - Knott's Berry Farm. Or switch around Monday and Tuesday, depending on what time you want to go to sleep on the night before your departure and/or what you want to take away as your last memory. You can still get your birthday buttons on Tuesday and pretend it is your birthdays!

Is your 11:30 departure flight in the morning or at night? If in the night, you might be able to squeeze in another day at Disneyland Resort.

Edited: 5:35 pm, January 28, 2013
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

I would recommend going to the Angels Game that night, very nice unique ball park, and the team offers special fireworks shows after the game on Fridays.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

>>>I may take him to a baseball game the Friday night. (Neither of us have ever been to a Baseball game before, but have travelled around the world to watch soccer and rugby union, so are very into sports and seeing various stadiums) I am still deciding if we should do this, considering we will be dead tired by then.<<<

The Angels of Anaheim play right down the street from Disneyland Resort and just happen to have a home game that night! They will play the Oakland A's. The two teams are rivals, so it will be certain to be a good game. Game time is 7:05 p.m. You should arrive approximately an hour prior. You should get tickets as soon as you make a decision, as they will probably sell fast for this game. However, the season has not even started yet, so no hurry. I'd probably wait until late May or maybe early June to get the tickets.

Here is their website:

losangeles.angels.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=ana

The Outlets at Orange are not far from the staduim. Your wife might consider droping you and your son at the stadium and taking the daughters to the outlets.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

Regarding your departure airport, if you are leaving from Orange County/John Wayne airport (SNA), why would you want to move to be closer to LAX?

Anaheim is only 20 minutes from SNA so definitely don't move.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

Thanks again.

We fly out at 11:30am.

LSCats, I was thinking about touring around LA on the last couple days, so staying closer to LAX, but seeing as they are so close to each other I will definitely take all the advice offered here and stick with my original plans.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

It sounds like you basically have four days other than taking it easy on Friday and possibly going to a game. Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday - with two Disney Parks days and possibly a day in Knott's. That leaves just one day in LA, but, in my opinion, you won't need more than one day to tour LA - unless you are planning to go to Universal.

Edited: 8:50 pm, January 28, 2013
17. Re: I need advice/opinions on 5 day itinerary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 30, 2014