We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Topic
Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

Let me start by saying our family loves theme parks -- We go a few times a year. My parents took us when we were young and we take our gals when we can.

But nowadays, we do get new research and new info about things we never worried about before -- frequent usage of cell phones, the effect of a concussion on the lives of contact sports players, basic things such as the paint used in toys....

I am not looking for opinions. This is not about whether one felt dizzy after a ride or if one had a back spasm -- if you have a neck or back issue or are pregnant or have a heart problem, then there are plenty of warnings issued

But what about for most of us? Is it ok to go a few times a year for say 2-3 days -- I guess it adds up to a week or two a year waiting in line for a 1-2 minute ride on a roller coaster ? What is the latest research on that ?

Here are a few articles -- Does anyone have anything more recent?

huliq.com/10282/roller-coaster-rides-getting…

popularmechanics.com/outdoors/…4323692

www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-512803.html

These all seem to be older articles. I have not seen anything new? Any ideas on what the latest research is out there.

How safe are roller coasters in these theme parks ?

By the way this is a travel related post. Millions of people are traveling to our state to get in line to go on Roller Coasters and we just need to have the facts about how safe these rides are for most of us

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

It depends on the park. Disney rides are so tame, pretty much the same thing for Knott's it shouldn't be a huge concern.

But Magic Mountain and some of the parks like it are becoming more problematic In the quest to "go bigger". A healthy, in shape human can only withstand so much g-force and "healthy, in shape" doesn't describe a big chunk of America's population.

There is also great concern about brain trauma, even on some Disney rides, as the brain sloshes about in your head because of g-force and the shaking and jerking on some rides. Several deaths have been attributed to brain trauma from roller coasters.

All the rides in CA meet stringent standards for safety, but the inherent risk can not be changed.

Edited: 12:20 am, November 30, 2012
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

Several deaths have been attributed to brain trauma from roller coasters.

-----------

Really? Would these be due to hidden health problems, such as unknown aneurysm?

Here is something I found. 4.4 deaths from all causes is less dangerous than taking a bath in your own house.

In 2005, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that there were about 4.4 amusement ride-related deaths on average each year, based on data from 1987 to 2002.

3. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, December 01, 2012
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

Sorry, but this is not a travel related original post and the links included (of which at least two are over three years old) have nothing included in them about Disneyland Resort Parks in Anaheim. If there was a California Theme Parks Forum, which would be a great resource on Trip Advisor if it existed, that would be a better place for the OP - however it is still an off topic discussion. I understand the desire to contribute, but it is does belong in the Off Topic Forum.

Edited: 1:42 am, November 30, 2012
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

I disagree that this is off-topic. It is definitely related to theme parks in and around Anaheim and is an issue of interest to many.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

>>>Really? Would these be due to hidden health problems, such as unknown aneurysm?

Here is something I found. 4.4 deaths from all causes is less dangerous than taking a bath in your own house.<<<

Whether or not roller coaster riding is less dangerous than the drive to the theme park or more people die from hippopotamus attacks every year isn't really the question. There is a danger from roller coasters and there is not enough research on the specifics of g-forces on your typical theme park attendee and really not enough on the effects to the brain from jostling around on some of the rides.

Recent deaths on roller coasters from no other apparent cause, meaning they were not ejected from the car, include a 12 year boy, a 16 year old girl, a 44 year old man and a 48 year old woman. Those are not your typical people who die from aneurysms. Add in motion simulation rides and you can add a 4 year boy and a four year old girl to that, plus some older people as well.

The risk at theme parks is not huge, but it isn't non-existent and as coasters push to higher and higher g-force rides, the danger goes up, especially to those not in great physical condition.

If i had high blood pressure, was overweight and had a couple of beers, I would not ride a coaster where I would pull 5-6 g's of force, that is a recipe for trouble.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

Oh great, after this topic I can foresee the year 2030-

I'm from the government and I'm here to help- Amusement Parks kill people and they no longer exist. lol

This does remind me of a ride( I don't think it's there anymore) we did several years ago at OC Fair though. We were held in by one bolt and the entire time all I could think was "This is how people have heart attacks." We should have known when the teenagers were getting off with white faces it wasn't going to be fun. We rode the ski lift this year. lol

8. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, December 01, 2012
Edited: 6:35 am, December 01, 2012
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

There is a lot of research on g-force effects, but it is not roller coaster specific and people are just becoming aware of the effects of trauma to the brain from theme park rides.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to get information out of theme parks on injuries suffered by people other than those which they are required by law to disclose, which are usually only ones that require transportation to an outside medical facility.

While the article below is very self serving, it also contains useful information.

nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/amusement-park-a…

The CA Supreme Court is set to rule on Nalwa v. Cedar Fair, L.P., any time now. It could have far reaching effects on the CA theme park business, and given CA's importance nationally, effects on the business all over the US.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Research into effect of prolonged rides on Roller Coasters

I now question the motivation of OP. Whenever there is a death at Disneyland it's big news. If the death is on a roller coaster (I remember someone falling off several years ago), it's big national news.

As the report I quoted shows, there are only an average of 4 deaths every year nationally from roller coaster rides. That's nationally. I would not call that a problem at all.