We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Hoping for any advice, comments please.

We are an Aussie family - 2 boys, 8 and 11 - and we are going to the US for the first time in July. Part of our holiday is spending a week in Anaheim as a base to explore the Disneyland Parks and do a few day trips to Hollywood, maybe San Diego, shopping outlets etc. I am estimating that we would spend at least 3 days at the Disney Parks. I wasn't planning on hiring a car.

I've read countless reviews of accommodation in Anaheim (thanks to all who contribute) and have got it down to a final 3.

Do I spend the big bucks and stay at Disneyland Resort? Nearly 3-4 times the price of other places. Looks like it has a great pools - although will we really be spending much time there - so much to do!

Do I stay at the Howard Johnson - close to Disney, great $ but doesn't include breakfast.

Other option - stay at the Hilton Anaheim near the Convention Centre for the same price as the Howard Johnson but with breakfast included?

I am tending to go towards the Hilton as it still has a view of the nightly fireworks from the room (abeit further away) but it has a few restaurants, kids splash area tour desk and the breakfast included - might save time in the hunt for breakfast each morning?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The Packing House
Architectural Buildings, Gift & Specialty Shops, Points of Interest & Landmarks
World of Disney
Gift & Specialty Shops
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,584 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Personally I'd go with the Hilton, I think it is a much nicer hotel than Howard Johnson's. The Hilton is a pretty solid 4 star hotel, HoJos is 2 1/2 stars.

HoJos is popular because of their water play area, but not sure that off-sets the nicer setting of the Hilton.

I love the Disney Hotels, especially the Grand Californian, but we usually don't stay more than two or three nights at a time, if we were there for a week, we'd probably be looking at the Hilton, Anaheim Marriott and Residence Inn Maingate.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,076 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Its really up to you where you want to stay.

Advantages are, Hojos has the fun kids play area you mentioned and is across the street from the Disneyland Main Entrance and is about an 11 min walk through the Disneyland Maingate and to the Turnstiles that go into Disneyland. ( they also have Art Shuttle service.)

The Hilton is a nice Hotel, but more of a business type Hotel as its located next to the Anaheim Convention Center. Its also quite a far walk to Disneyland at around a 22 min walk, but does have shuttle service.

The Disneyland Hotel which Im assuming you are talking about is about a 9 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park, so not as close as you think, and does not have shuttle service, but does have a nice pool area.

You could also look at the Sheraton Park Hotel which is a nice Hotel and is about a 15 min walk with Art Shuttle service and rooms with a Disneyland view. Or, the Residence Inn Maingate mentioned which is also about a 15 min walk and has full kitchens and free full breakfast as well as some weekday "social hours"

Heres a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are located. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle area" on the Map

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

You should also be aware Austrailian residents will have a new 10 day Disneyland Pass thats a very good value usually, details are just comming out for the new Pass, so they may not be available yet for a little while for your time period, but they will be available through a travel agent in Australia and New Zealand.

You should also be aware that July is a very busy time at Disneyland, its right in the middle of when most Schools will take thier summer breaktime. You should also consider avoiding around the 4th of july Holiday at Disneyland which has large crowds.

Edited: 8:09 pm, November 21, 2012
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Have you checked the price for HoJo's with a discount code?

www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers

And the Disney owned Hotels are isolated, and as mentioned above, does not offer Shuttle Service. IMHO, it is not worth the extra money they charge as compared to non-Disney hotels.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Hi. We're going again in May and are staying at Hojo. Can't wait!

We were there last year and stayed at the Park Vue Inn. We also had a car. My choice would definately be walking distance, and I think you'll definately need more than 3 days. We had a 6 day ticket last time, and are going back next year for 2 weeks to do what we missed out on last time!!

Depending on what you plan to do, I really think a car is the way to go. You can get everywhere so much easier with a car, no waiting for tour buses etc. we went to the supermarket and bought snacks etc, and could also drive different places to SHOP!

We plan on buying cereal and milk etc for our breakfasts. Both money and time saving.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Sharon

Geelong
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Hi, We have just returned from our 10 night stay in Anaheim, we stayed at HoJo.... and could not complain at all. We have 2 children aged 7 and 5 and just shared the room with 2 double beds, the rooms were large and extremely clean. The water park was fantastic and the kids absolutely loved this. It was about a 10 minute walk to Disneyland which was fine for us. They do have the shuttle service too but we only used this once. Yes there is no breakfast included but there is small shop on site to buy breakfast supplies or there is plenty of places to eat on your way to DL. We ate a lot at Mimi's - directly across the road from Hojo, and this was very reasonably priced, in the end we just ordered a b/fast for myself and husband (shared) and the kids shared one too. The food was huge, way too much if ordering one per person! :) We could also see the fireworks from the hotel. Hope this helps.

Sydney
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

I agree with aussiesharon. Please consider hiring a car. Ok, you MAY not need it too much for your 3 days in Disneyland, but it will make your life a whole lot easier for your touring days. Also, San Diego really deserves a few days if you can swing it. Absolutely beautiful and heaps to do with the kids.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

Agree that Hojo's best deal close to park with affordable meals nezt door at Mimi's. We stay in large 2 bedrrom at Grand Californian now but we paid $$$ to buy into vacation club, resale of course. We stayed also Maingate Best Western but like Hojo's better. Ask for 2nd story garden.view, quietest. No elevator so need to carry stuff up flight of stairs. Usable frig and microwave helpful, plus view of fireworks from parking lot is nice.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

In July you may want to take afternoon breaks and use the pool as it will likely be hot out. The Hilton is a business hotel and would not be my first choice normally, but with the price including breakfast and the nice pool area with water play area, I would stay there. I have walked to DL from the Hilton and it is not too bad but I would use the shuttle. The Hilton is of a much higher quality than Hojo. If you need lunch or dinner at the hotel there is a food court at the hotel, in addition to the restaurants. Also, a sit down breakfast at a restaurant like Mimi's will run about $40 to $50 for breakfast and McDonalds about $20, so consider that as well.

If money is not an issue, the DL Hotel is great. However, the Hilton is a very solid choice given the price with breakfast.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

No one has mentioned the Candy Cane Inn. Easy five minute walk but does have it's own shuttle. Rooms have been redone recently. There is a pool and hot tub on site. They do have a continental breakfast as well.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,584 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please - Where to stay HoJo/Hilton/Disney Resort?

>>>And the Disney owned Hotels are isolated<<<

Say WHAT? The Disney owned Hotels are "isolated"?

The Grand Californian is in the MIDDLE of the Disneyland Resort complex.

In the Google Map below "A" is the entrance to the Disney California Adventure Park, directly across from there is the entrance to Disneyland Park. To the immediate left of and attached to DCA is the Grand Californian.

http://goo.gl/maps/BK6Ry

In this Map view you see the towers and pool of the Disneyland Hotel and directly on the backside of the hotel tower is the start of Downtown Disney where you walk past shops and restaurants to the entrance of the theme parks. Unlike Howard Johnson's or any of the motels on Harbor Blvd, you don't have to cross any streets and you are immersed in Disney the entire time. You can also jump on the monorail right there in the middle of the screen to get into Disneyland.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ub2bK

Calling the Disney owned hotels "isolated" is a rather bizarre comment.

Edited: 5:47 pm, November 22, 2012