We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

neenah, WI
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

My husband and I have been okayed to take a 12 year old girl we mentor through an organization similar to Big Brothers/Big Sisters to Disneyland, etc.. We will be going in early January of 2013.

We really want to make this a special trip for this girl! However, we are also concerned about cost.

Where does one find the cheapest tickets to Disneyland? Do you recommend some sort of Fast Pass?

Where are other places near Disneyland that this girl might enjoy?

Are there any sort of combo ticket packages to other attractions that can be combined with ticket purchases to Disneyland?

Any recommended clean but reasonably prices hotels?

Thank you in advance so very much for any help you might give us!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,224 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

Disney is pretty fixed on their entry ticket prices, although my travel agent did get us 5-day one park per day passes (these are fractionally cheaper than the park hopper passes, so there's a few bucks saved there) for a few dollars less than I was able to find them elsewhere.

On our first trip, we stayed at the Tropicana, which is very close to the gates. A serviceable basic motel style place. Personally, I wouldn't stay at a place that is further from DL in order to save a few $$ per night. Waiting for shuttles just isn't worth it IMO. Try to find a good neighbour hotel along South Harbor Blvd. that is walking distance.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn this time. What I wanted was a small fridge in the room, which allowed us to save a fair bit on food costs. I took some plates, bowls and cutlery with us, as well as things like cereal, peanut butter and bagels. We had a couple of breakfasts in our room and always packed snacks and drinks with us into the parks. While Disney states they do not want any outside food, during the security check I always called them "snacks" and never had any problems taking it in.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,887 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

Hello again cheridolls,

Hopefully you saw my post with some answers to your questions in your other thread that should be helpful finding Disneyland tickets as well as info on the Fastpass system and a Map of where you can stay in the area.

See post #2 of this thread.

tripadvisor.com/…45183806

Its helpful if you can include a budget per night for a Hotel and what kind of place you are looking for. Do you want a Hotel with nicer amenities or a standard Motel in close walking distance to Disneyland?

Theres plenty to do in the General area. Will you have a Car? How many days do you plan to stay?

Huntington Beach and Newport beach are both close to Disneyland about a 30 min drive.

There is also Medieval times show which is about 7 miles from Disneyland as well as Knotts Berry Farm which is also in that same area.

You can also take trips to Universal Studios or the LA /Hollwood area which is about a 45 min drive from Anaheim

SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo are about a 90 min drive South of Anaheim

There are also Tours that go to alot of the larger attractions from Anaheim. Larger Tour Companies would include Grayline Tours and Starline Tours.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

What kind of things does the 12 y.o. like? Whale watching? Underwater sailing with dolphins? The beach? Kayaking? Hiking/ Biking? The more info you give us the better recommendations we can make.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

I suggest the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, where you can even take a zipline safari now. www.sdzsafaripark.org/planyourtrip/index.html

Safari Park is in Escondido, separate from the main zoo in San Diego

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is also a great stop for 12 year olds. There are several interactive displays. www.aquariumofpacific.org/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

We stayed at The Quality Inn on Katella Ave. With our AAA it was $65 a night. Free wi-fi and free breakfast. Also rooms have a fridge and microwave. Only about a 5 min walk to Downtown Disney, then another 10 min to the gate... unless you already have your ticket for the day and the you can just hop on the Monorail from Downtown Disney.

Prices might be a bit higher if it's still tourist season. I'll be looking into it as we plan to go again same time as you. You'll love it.

If you chose, stay one night at Paradise Pier Hotel (the first night) just for the experience. Rooms as low as $240/ night. Also for a bit extra they'll decorate the room with balloons or whatever you like. ... Then stay at the less expensive hotel so you can afford to eat ... And collect pins.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

Take a harbor cruise in Newport Harbor for a unique view of celebrity homes and boats from the water side. www.funzoneboats.com

Ride the Balboa Island Ferry between: Balboa Isalnd/Balboa Peninisula. If you walk on it's $1.00/person each way. www.balboaislandferry.com Fun little trip on the water. Visit the Fun Zone on the Peninsula, have lunch, take the harbor cruise. All are relatively inexpensive. Walk about 6 blocks to the pier, enjoy the view from there.

Drive to Dana Point Harbor for Dolphin Safari. www.dolphin safari.com A one of a kind ship in the world, this is something that everyone will find interesting and unique.

If you want to hike, bike, skate, kayak, there is nowhere else as good as Newport's Back Bay. It's not a stagnent puddle of water, as is Bolsa Chica Wetlands, the Back Bay is a living, breathing body of water, the largest estuary (where the fresh water meets the saltwater) in So. California with many rare animals and birds, interesting topography and ranger tours on weekends via kayak. www.newportbay.org

Edited: 11:46 am, November 16, 2012
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

Sorry, that link to Dolphin Safari should be: www.dolphinsafari.com

United States
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

The best western motel & mini suites has a special on the hotel website (different than the best western.com site) if u have no car $75 I think. Costcotravel.com has the same room w car $10 more. Includes breakfast. Directly across the street.

Depends on how long your trip is... The 4 day park hopper at Costco is a great deal. If you want to do more the SoCal citypass is a pretty good deal for 2012.

If you go to medieval times make sure to print the coupon for BOGO free at anaheimoc.org.

Edited: 12:40 pm, November 16, 2012
9. Re: Anaheim in January with 12 year old girl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, December 16, 2013