We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim to Universal studio

Perth, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Anaheim to Universal studio

Hi,

My family has 4 full days in Anaheim. We want to do 2-3 days at Disney and 1 at Universal. I am looking at buying the Southern Cal City pass for $280. In trying to work out its best value I want to know what a cheapish, safe, convenient way will be to travel from Anaheim hotel to Universal. If the cost is too great it may be cheaper to buy Grayline ticket which is shuttle plus enter for $100 and then buy Disney enter separately.

I would appreciate any advice.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
85 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

This has been one of my biggest decisions!! I already bought the passes so am trying to figure out the best way to get there and to get from the airport and back. We are flying into John Wayne. I think we have decided to taxi from the airport, use the ART to show at the Orange Block and rent a car for a day to go to Universal..... So confusing....

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

OK, you can contact Gray Line Anaheim, and ask for a "Transportation Only" ticket to Universal Studios. It is not listed on the website, but they do sell them.

http://graylineanaheim.com/contact.shtml

Or you can use public transit, you take the OCTA Route 43 bus to the Fullerton Train Station, then catch a Metrolink or Amtrak Train to Union Station. At Union Station, you transfer to the LA Metro Red Line Subway to Universal City. Across the street from the Universal City station is Universal Studios, and a special free tram that takes you from the bottom of the hill to the Main Entrance area.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

If you want to save time, skip the OCTA bus and take a cab to the Anaheim train station and follow Darkbeers' to get the train to LA, etc. I would suggest this over the tour option because you control when you arrive and leave with public transportation. Just check schedules for the last train.

Edited: 9:54 am, November 05, 2012
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

Hi Jennifer,

Darkbeer has given us some great advice on here. We are going to Universal Studios on Tues and then to the LA Lakers game afterwards.

We've been quoted $220 for someone to pick us up from hotel, drop off to Universal studios and then pick up form the stadium afterwards...

We are travelling with a 9yr old so would the trains be running after the game and is it safe? do you think $220 is probably ok? would it be easy to just catch a cab to the train station afterwards?

Darkbeer is you are reading this, we would love to hear your thoughts...all the other suggestions you have given us have worked out great. Did Citadel today from your recommendation for some shopping and despite some of the comments on here we found it great!

Any comments would be great :-)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,653 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

Sonya D,

I believe the train to Anaheim only runs till about 10pm. So that may be an issue for you.

You may want to shop around a little and compare prices for a shuttle service. Some idea for you... Zippy Shuttle, Super Shuttle, Primetime shuttle, Karmel Shuttle. All will offer private transport like you are talking about.

You could also just rent a Car for the day which may be more convenient for you.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

Thanks happytotrip,

We ended up just getting the car service in the end, it was my birthday and wanted a stress free experience. Car service was nice (my husband loved the Lincolns lol).

The only travel gap we had was getting from universal studios to the Staples Centre. We asks the taxi co-ordinator and she said it would be around $30-$40, so we thought ok lets do it...unfortunately the cab driver we got was a shark and we were tourist guppies. We ended up getting him to pull over and let us out as the taximeter ticked over to $55.

Pretty sure he was just taking us in circles around downtown LA, he seemed to have trouble understanding that we wanted to go to Staples at first despite us telling us him multiple times and was intent on driving us back to Anaheim. Finally after driving for a while without answering acknowledged that he would get us to Staples. Thats when we seemed to head back into downtown LA and then the circles began. We asked how far and where the Centre was, but he didnt reply or answer anything. Seemed to be very intent on ignoring us...wasnt good experience, the other cab drivers have been nice and chatty and given good tips etc..but this guy was Mr Silent.

We ended up telling him to stop the cab and we wouldnt pay anything over the current fare if he continued to drive. It was one of the few times he actually said anything, pulled over demanded cash even though the taxi co-ordinator told him we were paying by credit card....grumbled a bit charged us and then swore that we didnt tip!

Despite that we had a nice walk in downtown LA, we walked past streets that we had driven in the opposite direction in the cab and finally got to the stadium.

Got there hungry and tired, discovered that we had purchased premier tickets to the Lakers game, went in and the most fantastic buffet dinner overlooking the court! it was truly fantastic! we got food & drink service in our seats...it was truly an amazing experience!

It was such a close game, the Lakers only just lost to a Spurs 3 pointer...it was really exciting and awesome!

Hopping in the car at the end of the night and being driven home was great. Universal and then the Lakers game easily overshadowed the cab experience so we were still extremely happy.

Anyway the lesson we learnt is be really sure about where you are headed, use your iphone if possible. Take in a game or event if you can, its well worth it!

The LA Lakers now have 3 more fans lol

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,653 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

Well its sounds like you had a good time despite the grumbly Cab driver :)

8. Re: Anaheim to Universal studio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 18, 2013