We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours from Anaheim?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Tours from Anaheim?

Could anyone tell me how easy it would be to do the 'grand tour' of LA tourist destinations if we booked a hotel in Anaheim?

Menomonie, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
784 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

On my March/April trip I booked a tour through Anaheim 411 of the Hollwood sights. It was a bit of a hassle to book, I guess their site was having issues and it was tough to get ahold of them by phone. But anyway, the tour was great and only a few people on it. We saw downtown LA, a stop to see the Chinese Theater and view the Hollywood sign, a drive through a few houses in Beverly Hills, a stop at Rodeo Drive, a stop at the Farmers Market/the Grove, and a stop at each Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier. I would have liked more time at the Farmers Market but other than that no complaints. I can't remember the cost but it was reasonable.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,533 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

There are Tours that go from Anaheim to the LA area, so there is no problem there. Grayline Anaheim Tours as well as Starline Tours are some of the Major companies that offer these kind of tours.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

Are you willing to rent a car & drive? Do you only have 1 day to do the tour? I usually prefer to split my trip, staying in Santa Monica for a few days then Anaheim for my Disneyland days. On my June trip, however, I based myself in Anaheim for the whole trip. I allocated 3 days to rent a car & explore places I hadn't been before, so no Hollywood that time. It worked for me for that trip, but I did find the extra driving a bit tedious.

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

We do have a car as this is part of a road trip from SF -LV. We have only allocated 1.5 days in LA but the friend we are travelling with wants to see 'the sights'. We are trying to find an area to stay in but it is very confusing. It seems there is more hotels with parking in Anaheim. I am still trying to work how the best way to do this and where to stay. I have looked at TA faq's and still get confused as to where we should be to make the best use of our limited time. If anyone can help that would be great. I have also looked at hotels in West Hollywood but a lot are sold out for the time we are going which is June 2013.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

Are you going to Disneyland & how many days for?

The Sea Shore motel in Santa Monica has parking, I've stayed there a couple of times. You need to email them to book. Santa Monica isn't as convenient for Hollywood, but could work for a 1 night stop. Spend the afternoon you arrive exploring Santa Monica & Venice Beach, then go to Hollywood the next day before driving down to Anaheim for Disneyland the next day.

If your 1.5 days for LA include Disneyland, then you should use the half day to explore Hollywood on your way through from the SF drive. Then stay in Anaheim for Disneyland.

What do you want to see in LA? I find an hour is more than enough time for the main Hollywood stretch, then you need to drive everywhere else. One thing I did last trip, which I highly recommend, is driving up to Griffith Observatory. It's free & the views of the Hollywood sign are great (as long as there's not too much smog).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,533 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

I cant imagine most hotels would be already sold out for June of 2013. Most likely if you are looking online, many Hotels will not book so far out, and just show "no Availability" instead.

You may want to post in the LA forum with questions about where to stay near the things you want to do in that area, they are very helpful and would be happy to help you find something in that area for a few days of your visit, as well as an itinerary for that area.

There is also the Hop on Hop off bus in the LA area so you can be more flexable of where you want to visit which seems to be popular.

Some people do choose to stay in Anaheim if they have a car to visit the LA area, as they dont want to move Hotels. But, you would want to keep in mind that the LA area is about a 45 min drive North of Anaheim.

So, if you are wanting more than a 1 day visit, it makes sense to consider spending an overnight in that area

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

We have 2 nights stay in LA . We arrive from Santa Barbara early pm so we have the rest of that day and then another whole day, leaving the next day for Arizona. We have no children with us so do not plan to visit Disney so dont really need to be close. We do have a car.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,533 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

I suppose you could stay in Anahiem and then just drive to LA if you needed to, but i really doubt that would be needed.

If you are not planning on visiting Disneyland i would really suggest you post in the LA forum so they can help you find something in that area to stay. Im sure it would not be an issue finding you something for June of next year.

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

Thanks happytotrip.

I have become very dubious recently about asking direct questions on TA as It has been suggested that i do my own research first or look at FAQ's to find the answer to any query. I have been using TA for many years now and most people have been helpful in the past. I do look at google for hotels, trips, areas, attarctions etc but when you really have no idea of an area it is difficult to imagine the size of an area or distances.

The trouble is I dont know the best place to stay or what the best things are to see.

I have visited Las Vegas on several occasions and we are going back again at the end of this trip so I know what I am doing there. Having not been to LA before I just dont know where to start.

I will do as you suggest and ask a direct question and see what happens. Thanks again

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours from Anaheim?

The more info you give, such as budget, places you want to visit, time of year, how many people, etc. you will get more helpful replies. Lots of posts are kind of vague, so the more info you can provide, the better the answers will be.

Hope that helpsl