We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or home rental?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel or home rental?

Hi there, I know that where to stay is a repeat question here - but here goes.

We are talking our daughter and husband and 2 kids ( 6.5 and 4.5) for 4 days in feb 6-10. We are then going on to San deigo for a few days.

Our budget is between 250 - 300$ night and I'm just not too sure where to book. We are renting a car so we don't have to stay too close to the main gate. We really want a pool and room for all to stay comfortable. I am not sure that staying at a Disney property is the answer - we stayed at the Disneyland hotel years ago and didn't feel that we got a big bang for the $ spent.

Thanks for your help!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,896 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or home rental?

You may want to look at something such as the Residence Inn Maingate. They have a large suite that would fit all of you comfortably for around $289 a night for your time period.

They are a well rated Hotel, layed out like a low rise condo like setting with full kitchens and free full breakfast as well as some weeknight "Social Hours". They are about a 15 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park, and have Art Shuttle service if you dont want to walk. They also are next to the Anaheim Gardenwalk which has alot of good restaurants.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are located. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Edited: 6:18 pm, September 25, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or home rental?

If you are renting a car, then you have many choices. I like the Homewood Suites which have 2 BR suites that could fit 6.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32420-d217220-…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or home rental?

In your price range I'd pick the Residence Inn Maingate in a heart beat.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or home rental?

Try the Residence Inn in Anaheim for $246/nt in a penthouse suite or the Residence Inn in Garden Grove for $188/nt for a 2 bedroom suite.

United States
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or home rental?

Even though you have a car you may want to take a shuttle to the park. We prefer the "door to door" service. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel or home rental?

From the Residence Inn Maingate you would walk.

I wouldn't want to stay where I couldn't walk or use ART.

FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel or home rental?

Thanks to all! I have looked at the Residence Inn Maingate and it looks like exactly what meets our needs! Just to compare I priced out the Disneyland hotel... 636$ a night. Yikes!

For my money this is a no-brainer.

I am now trying to decide if we need three or 4 at the parks?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,896 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel or home rental?

Usually its allways a good idea to add an extra day with smaller children even if you can only use a partial 4th day, as its not much more than a 3 day Parkhopper ticket, and allows you to take things at a little slower more relaxed pace, but its up to you how many days you want to be there.

Canada Residents have been getting a good deal right now on the Southern California City Pass through Costco Canada ( 3 day Disneyland Parkhopper, 1 day Seaworld, 1 day Universal Studios) and right now is worth it even if you can only use the Disneyland Parkhopper and the Seaworld ticket. I dont know if that will be offered for next year.

Something such as Flight Centre Canada also offers discount Disneyland ticket, but again, dont know what may be offered for 2013.

Here is more info on discounts from the Mousesavers website which lists current discount on attractions for you ( they dont sell tickets)

mousesavers.com/disneyland-california-vacati…

You may also keep in mind that early Feb is not usually pool weather its still quite cool, and it is still likely to have rainy weather during that time.

FORT ST JOHN
Level Contributor
244 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel or home rental?

I have looked and looked and can't seem to find this deal. I couldn't find an offer on Costco.ca? I am assuming that there may be back on around Christmas for the next year. We have some time yet so hopefuly we can find a deal before we go.

We live in the frozen north so it would have to be below 0 for us not to want to swim:) Are there hotels with indoor pools just in case?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,896 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel or home rental?

northerngirl-7,

Im assuming you are looking for the Southern California City Pass being talked about available at the Costco Canada website. Here is the info, its still showing it available at the website.

costco.ca/…ae.product.100010685.html

Sometimes the link wont post, and it can be harder to find on thier website. You go to the Costco Canada website, on the left hand side and click where it says "gift cards, tickets and Floral", that takes you to another page which shows info you can click on for the Southern California City Pass.

Yes there are some Motels close to the Entrance that have an indoor pool, im aware of the Anaheim Desert Inn that i can think of right now that has an indoor pool area.

Edited: 12:10 pm, October 09, 2012