We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Topic
Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

My family loves Billy Hill & the Hillbillies and tries to see a show every time we visit. When we were there in June, we went to see them at their new venue (which I didn't like as well, by the way), and were disappointed that the person whom I call "the main Billy" because I don't know his name, was not performing. Was this just a weird thing-- sick day or something-- or is he gone? I'm sorry, I don't know how to be more specific about who he is, but he is hilarious! He's the "pros-teethis" guy if that helps. Is he still performing with them? I will be so sad if he's not!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

I think you are thinking about Kirk Wall, who also does other things, including a great Elvis Impersonation..

Here is his own website...

http://thegreatkirk.com/home.html

But there are multiple teams that perform the show at Disneyland and they sometimes need to swap for multiple reasons. I was lucky enough to have a "hillbilly" at my wedding (as himself, along with his lovely significant other).

There is no official schedule posted (based on Disney policy) and every "Hillbilly" is Billy. They can rotate and move things around. I ended up at a three "Billy" show once (a performer got sick after the first performance), amazing how they came up with a full act and made adjustments on the fly...

Hope that helps.

Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

Yes, that's him. I'm really glad to know he's still there... I guess I have just always been there when he's there. I think all the Hillbillies are amazingly talented but I just find him completely hilarious. And now I know his name! Thanks for answering. And lucky you to have one of the Billys at your wedding!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

I am sorry you missed him! I must have been lucky because every time I have seen their show he's been heading it up. (But I was a latecomer to the "Billy" fan-wagon).

He was there at the Big Thunder Jamboree when I went July 26 (a Thursday). I really that venue a lot. I was by myself and was able to get a seat up front, second row, and showed up right before the show began. He came down into the front rows of the audience, which as you know, is pretty far from that stage. He was trying to joke with a lady a couple of rows to the right of me, but I think she was not really up for it because she was bordering on elderly and not quick with responses. I had a set of parents in front of me who were holding a little boy who had fallen asleep (despite the music) and he was joking with them about him sleeping through the show. Then he noticed I was taking a photo and he asked me, "Does that thing have a zoom?" He came up super close and got in my face. I was frantically trying to get a photo or video (can't remember), when he even came closer and I broke out in giggles. The audience heard that and they were all laughing with me. He did the pros-teethis thing in front of the first row.

A couple of other things he did that I am not sure happened when you were there: He pointed out that the Disneyland RR train goes by the venue and it is fun to scream at the train because they cannot see due to the bushes. So he encouraged everyone to turn and scream really load at the train when it came around. The other thing he did was point out that the petting zoo was real close and said that no matter what might be bothering any of us it always helps to pet a goat. He brought up a few times that we need to "go pet a goat", including at the end of the show. Soooo, when I went over to the petting zoo I actually thought about how nice it felt, which added to my enjoyment.

After the Billies, Farley the Fiddler came onto the stage and some dancers dressed in country style where down in front of the audience having a "hoe-down". I really think this venue has a lot to offer, but I do agree that the Billies seem to fit a bit better in the Golden Horseshoe.

I also went to DL in August, on a Saturday, and for a change of pace decided to see the Laughing Stock which was relocated to inside the Golden Horseshoe. That show began and ended with the old Golden Horseshoe Revue song, which was great. However, it was very similar to the same old show they used to do outside with a man dressed up like a woman (playing an ugly woman) with the other man getting stuck having to marry her etc.

Because I loved hearing and singing along to the old Golden Horseshoe Song (whatever the title may be), I got to thinking that Disneyland really out to bring back the old Golden Horseshoe Revue Show, with just a few changes, and scrap this Laughing Stock show. Knott's has been doing a similar type show to what the Laughing Stock has done, Shotgun Wedding, outside near the Birdcage Theater. One park or the other ought to drop the idea. The idea of a man pretending to be an ugly woman is getting old! Besides the old Golden Horseshoe Revue show was so good. Now that there is another venue for the Billies, they could certainly bring this back. (Although, bringing the Billies back into the Golden Horseshoe would be great.)

Edited: 11:41 pm, August 31, 2012
Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

I'm sure I would've liked it better if I were as close as you got, Red! The seats in front of the stage were all filled, so we were out on the sides somewhere and it was hard to hear. We watched the Laughing Stock at the Golden Horseshoe and it was all right, but I like the Billys in there better.

I am looking forward to giving it another try in a few weeks. Hubby and I are going to Disneyland for our 20th anniversary - just like we did for our honeymoon, 1st anniversary, 10th annivesary, 15th anniversary... I forget how many other -iversaries we went there for but there were plenty!

Santa Cruz...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

My sister Pam and I love the show outside or, inside the Golden Horseshoe; we saw them at least three to four times a day for the six days while visiting Disney Land. It was absolutely the best show we have ever seen and, we have seen many. Thank you Kurt and all the Billie for such a great performance! Looking forwards to seeing you all again in March. God bless you.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

Big Thunder Mountain and the Big Thunder Jamboree area were boarded up/closed when we were there 10 days ago. Revue was at the Horseshoe, I believe.

One could not use that route from Fantasyland to Frontierland and they posted no signs ahead of time, so quite the cul-de-sac on the Fantasyland side, as regulars can imagine.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

If I remember correctly, what they have been doing is closing the Big Thunder Trail during the weekdays and keeping it open on weekends (Saturdays and Sundays, at least). The reason for the closure is it makes it easier to do the work on Big Thunder Mt. Railroad, especially when it comes to bringing in equipement. It's been awhile since I read about this, so I can't remember the effect on the Big Thunder Ranch and whether the plans were to keep it open during the weekends.

The return of the Golden Horseshoe Revue is supposed to be a limited time event. I've seen video this revival and think it really deserves to come back as a permanent show, or at least a seasonal summer (and maybe spring) show. What would be best, in my opinion, is to continue with the BillyHill and the Hillbillies at the Jamboree and bring the revival of the Golden Horseshoe Revue to the saloon permanently during warm weather seasons. Getting rid of the Laughing Stock show. Frontierland needs an injection of an actual wild west show.

Edited: 4:36 pm, February 27, 2013
8. Re: Billy Hill & the Hillbillies question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014