We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
683 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

I know this is a very tough question but I hope to get some opinions please. We are coming to Disneyland in May when the above attractions only operate in the weekends. We will only have a Friday and Saturday night in Anaheim to try them. I know if we went to the late showing of Fantasmic we could fit in all three but I doubt we could keep our young children up that late. So it seems we will only be able to see two - so which do we choose?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

jldev

my vote goes with Fantasmic and the Fireworks. The fireworks are the best I have ever seen and tinker bell comes across on a wire above the Fantasyland Castle, it's all themed to music and a story by Julie Andrews .. it runs for about 20 minutes - YOU can't miss it.

Fantasmic - is a fabulous light show projected onto a mist of water - it involves Mickey Mouse .... and then all of the characters throughout both parks (DL & CA) come around on the big paddlewheel boat and others come on smaller boats and then a small amount of fireworks.

For both of these shows people camp out for hours in advance - 2-3 hours .. and fantasmic is harder to find a spot if you don't get there early. However, people have said on this forum that they have managed to make it from one event to the other in the one night.

If you do a search on this forum for the words in your topic you will find lots of other replys to this topic .... you can also book a special seating for fantasmic - you'll find it somewhere on the disney website... cheers

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
33 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

I LOVE fantasmic! I haven't seen the new fireworks but those should be aswesome as well. If you are going for 2 nites, do 2 one day and 1 the next day. Isn't the electrical parade at Ca Adventure now?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
342 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

I agree - try to get in a showing of Fantasmic and the Fireworks, rather than trying to run between the two parks (i.e. see Electrical Parade at DCA, then run over to DL to catch fireworks).

A word of advice about this - though it can be done, it's not always a good idea to try to leave the Rivers of America/New Orleans Square area after Fantsmic and race over to Main Street to catch the Fireworks. Depending on crowd flow, you might not make it, and most of the good spots on Main Street will be gone by then, anyway. Its a lot of aggravation, when you could just remain in your sitting area from Fantasmic and watch the fireworks from there. They play the soundtrack throughout the park, so you won't miss the music. The only things that you'll miss is the light & firework effects that frame the castle, and Tinkerbell flying down from the Matterhorn to the castle.

Also, regarding keeping the little ones up - is there a possibility for you to leave the park and nap mid-day, to help them stay up later? The park is usually at its most crowded level around mid-day, so you're not missing a lot if you leave for a couple hours to nap and refresh. I only mention this because the late showing of Fantasmic is almost always less crowded than the first showing (for which people often do the same as for the fireworks, putting out blankets and marking spots in advance of the show)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

Note, Fantamsic! ends at 9:23 PM, and the Fireworks go off at 9:25 PM, TWO minutes is NOT enough time to get from the Rivers of America to the Hub, especially with Disney employees (CM's) controlling traffic.

If you want to watch the Fireworks, get to the Central Plaza/Hub area about 1 hour early (8 to 8:30 PM), then after the Fireworks are over, head thru Frontierland to the Rivers of America for the 10:30 PM Fantasmic!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

Your little ones will love the fireworks and Tinkerbell flying over the castle. Don't miss them! Stake out your spot there early- have someone go and pick up some dinner to go for you then have a little "picnic."

However, if your little ones are a bit on the sensitive side (as one of mine was) they may find Fantasmic too intense. If that's the case, then on your second night, head over to the Electric Parade, which is a guaranteed kid- pleaser.

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

My kids love all 3.

Here is what I would do if I had 2 nights to see the 3 of them. One evening, do the Electrical parade. My kids LOVE the electrical parade! On the other night, watch the fireworks from the central plaza if possible, then walk over to Frontierland for the 10:30 Fantasmic.

So that the kids can handle the late hours of these shows we always go to the park in the morning, go back to the hotel during the afternoon to rest, swim, take naps, etc., then go back to the park in the evening, feeling refreshed and ready for round 2! My kids did great!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

I don't envy you, it is going to be hard to do even two if you are not going to do the late Fantasmic.... You need to get to Fantasmic early to have any sort of view, if you are staying near the park I would do what someone else here suggested: Go to the park early (as soon or just before it opens) go hard till about1pm (Don't bother with fastpass until 10ish or maybe later for May as it is not needed)Book Fastpass tickets just before you leave the park for lunch back in your hotel (only works if closeby). Get your kids and you to kick back for a couple of hours, have lunch, lie down. Re-enter the park just as your fastpass tickets are due, booking another fastpass ticket for another ride first. Hopefully this way your kids will be up to do all three. Do the electric light parade but position yourself early (about 45min)at the start of the parade, as soon as the parade is done go accross to Disneyland park, you will see the fireworks as you walk down main street which is the best place to view, go straight to Fantasmic and get the best spot you can, the ideal is about midway between the haunted house and the pirates of the carribean, good luck!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

Fantasmic rules!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

Note: Disney now has the Electrical Parade go from the Route 66 area to the Sunshine Plaza, and it doesn't start right at 8:45 PM, more like 8:55 PM, all designed to make sure Guests miss the fireworks. Also, Disney has been using the turnstiles as traffic control. You will find very few turnstiles open when the Parade of Dreams is being performed, or when the Fireworks are about to start. Processing folks slowly helps the impact on traffic flow. For example, around 3:30 PM, only 4 turnstiles were open, and lines were past the compass in the middle of the plaza. Around 4 PM, when the Parade had exited Main Street, suddenly 10 gates were open, and the lines got a lot shorter.

So basically you will have a very hard time seeing both the Electrical Parade and the Fireworks.

The best plan is to see the 9:25 Fireworks and the 10:30 Fantasmic!

My preferences.

1. Fireworks

2. Fantasmic!

3. Electrical Parade

New Zealand
Level Contributor
469 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fantasmic, Fireworks or Electrical Parade?

We saw the fireworks and Fantasmic when we were there and they were both absolutely wonderful. I had tears in my eyes the whole time the fireworks were on, they were so beautiful, and it was quite emotional as that was our last night in Disneyland. We were so lucky to see them at all as when we planned our trip I didn't realise that the fireworks were only on at weekends ( and we weren't there at a weekend), and then midweek they scheduled an extra show which we heard was paid for by some big company who had taken 500 of their staff to the park for the day and wanted the fireworks on. So it was only around lunchtime we suddenly found out we were actually going to see the fireworks after thinking I had planned everything wrong and we were going to miss them. We stood just in front of the castle and the colours and how it was all co-ordinated to music were amazing, and seeing Tinkerbell fly was something we'll never forget.

Fantasmic was also great and the special effects were spectacular, but just not as special for us as the fireworks.