We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Oh dear, I just asked another question earlier but I am a planning freak. And I always value people's opinions, especially when I don't have much experience in what I am researching in.

Anyways, I am planning to go to the Disney parks for 2 days, and want to hit up both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.

Would you guys suggest a 2 day park hopper ticket or regular 2 day base (1 park per day) ticket?

Reason why I am asking is because I have never been to California Adventure, so I am not sure how much hours you need for that park. I know that its hard to go everywhere in Disneyland but I was ready to pick & choose.

And my bf & I are both in our early 20s. Just in case that helps in anyway.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,076 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

You can feel free to ask as many questions as you like in the Anaheim forum.

A 2 day Parkhopper is usually a better option, especially if you are planning on going for multiple days.

You can really think of the two parks as one Park, since they are located directly across from each other, and the term Parkhopper is used since you can easily "hop" back and forth to each park

disneyland.disney.go.com/maps/#/m=overview

Disneyland Park has the majority of the rides and attractions, but it can easily take at least a full day just at California Adventure Park alone.

When are you planning on visiting Disneyland? If its a busy time, you could easily get a 3 day Parkhopper which is not alot more than a 2 day one. There is so much to see at Disneyland it can keep you busy for at least that amount of time, even if you can only do a partial 3rd day its usually worth it imo.

Also, a 3 day and up Parkhopper ( if purchased online only) will come with a Magic Morning where you can get into select areas of Disneyland 1 hour before regular opening time.

wdwinfo.com/disneyland/plan/early-entry.htm

A typical day can look something like, arrive right when Disneyland Park opens( It usually opens before California Adventure park does ) as there is less wait time on most rides for that first few hours after opening time so its a good idea to go on the rides you are most interested in, or that have the longer lines (rides with Fastpass and alot of the Fantasyland rides are the busier ones)

Then when it gets busy at Disneyland Park, you can Hop over to California Adventure park for a while. Then Hop back to Disneyland Park for a while.

You can also take advantage of the free Fastpass system which helps when its busier at Disneyland.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

Edited: 12:30 am, May 01, 2012
K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Thanks for the reply!

I am going the weekend of June 15th. I am only in Anaheim for 3 full days, but might take one of those days to go to LA/Hollywood since I have never been, and I doubt I'd be visiting California in awhile after this upcoming trip.

So I might do something like this:

Friday: park(s)

Saturday: LA

Sunday: park(s)

or

Friday: park (s)

Saturday: park (s)

Sunday: LA/Hollywood

or

parks all three days, still TBD

Edited: 12:51 am, May 01, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,076 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Sorry to tell you, but that weekend crowds will be very large. Its the opening of a whole new land in California Adventure Park, called Carsland. Opening day is June 15, so that whole weekend will be crazy busy.

Sat would be the better day of that weekend for a visit imo, only because part of the local Annual Passholders will be blocked out from going on that date.

In this case in all honesty i would either recommend you get a 3 day Parkhopper and just try to do the highlights and know that Disneyland will be extremely busy.

Or, Plan on only 1 day at Disneyland, and do something else on the other days, or only go for partial days, like right when the park opens for a few hours, and plan on doing other activities instead that would be less crowded if you dont like crowds.

Just so your aware, June 14 California Adventure park only would be closed for a media Event for the opening of Carsland.

K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Yeah I have been debating doing the 2day or 3day park trip thing. It's just that I figured since I am in California I might as well take advantage of trying to go Hollywood since I've never been. I doubt I'd be returning to CA (or at least SoCal) in awhile.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,076 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Then you could just consider doing less time at Disneyland then, its a good excuse since it will be so busy anyway to do something else at least for a day, but youll just have to decide whats best for you.

Edited: 1:45 am, May 01, 2012
K B
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Hm 1 day @ the parks? My trip is from thurs-Monday. Thursday and Monday are traveling days so I have those three full days (fri-sun). I want to conquer both parks at least so that's why I wanna do @ least 2 days. I know I can't conquer everything in DL but I'm ready to pick & choose if I have to (probably will since its a weekend). The other day might be LA for a day trip or another day dedicated to the parks

But if I do go forth with a 2 day agenda to the parks, you think it's wise to do the hopper?

Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Whatever you do avoid D-Land on Monday, June 18. In addition to the regular crowds, there will be thousands upon thousands of So. Cal. 6th graders and 8th graders descending like locusts.

My son went last year and only got to go on 3 rides in 8 hours.

Edited: 11:55 am, May 01, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,076 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

K B

Yes, i realize you will be there a longer time, just giving you some options to consider.

It sounds like you really want to be at Disneyland for most of that time period you are there, so i would just brave the crowds, but even if you can only do a Partial Day on say Thursday or Monday, it would still make it worth it imo to do a 3 day Parkhopper at least as those may be your only fairly quite days in the Park. And since a 3 day Parkhopper is only about $41 more than a 2 day Parkhopper (if purchased online only) its a good value for you.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/tickets/

A Parkhopper is a good idea during a busy time imo, as it will allow you more flexablility during that time such as if one Park get too busy you have the option to go to the other Park.

If it were me, Id even consider getting a 4 day Parkhopper so you can do partial days and leave when the park gets busy. Disneyland tickets are less expensive per day the more days you purchase

For example a 2 day Parkhopper is $173 online at the Disneyland.com website. A 3 day Parkhopper is $214, so $41 more. Then a 4 day Parkhopper is $234 so $20 more than a 3 day one.

So basically if you were thinking of a 2 day Parkhopper, its only $61 more to have 2 more days at Disneyland going up to a 4 day Parkhopper.

But remember, these are online prices only. 3 day and up Parkhoppers cost more if purchased at Disneyland and do not come with a Magic Morning.

Also if you wanted to add days to say a 2 day Parkhopper at Disneyland it would cost more than if you bought that ticket ahead of time online.

Trixxee,

Where did you hear that info for this year? dates may also be different based on the year. Can you please post that info if possible?

Edited: 12:17 pm, May 01, 2012
Orange, CA
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Traditionally (for many decades) many school districts have their D-Land outings on the last Monday of the last week of school. It'll depend on which district started when because not each district starts at the same time, but June 14 and June 21 seem to be common traditional last days (and they don't go on the last day as it is graduation) so June 11 and 18 will be busy at the park. And then again other schools might go on one of those Tuesdays or Wednesdays but either way you'll notice a lot of students there mid-June (easy to spot as schools usually issue a t-shirt so they can spot their kids easily). They usually arrive around 9:00am and leave at 5:00pm.

I don't think there's anywhere to find out exact information except from each individual school and district. We're talking LA schools, Orange County schools, Inland Empire schools, etc.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,076 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland 2 day park hopper vs base tickets?

Thanks for the info, and yes, that can be complex to figure out ;) Perhaps best just to stay as you have basically it will be busy at Disneyland anyway because Schools will be out of session.