We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

Hi, I (with two children) am going to San Diego from Disneyland on Aug 21. However, I am not sure when (in terms of hour) I will leave Anaheim. Should I fix my schedule and buy Amtrak tickets in advance? Will it be very difficult to get Amtrak tickets at the station? Also, I need to travel from San Diego back to Los Angeles downtown on Aug 23. Should I buy advance tickets too? It looks like they have hourly service. Betty

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

Only selected trains (most, but not all) have Luggage service, so yes, I would plan to buy in advance, also, there are sometimes discounts available for advance purchase.

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,252 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

There are about 10 or 12 trains per day each way, so getting on a train should be easy. It will be easy to buy tickets at the station, but the coach car seats are unreserved, so just having a ticket doesn't guarantee you will get a seat. If you buy a business class ticket, that guarantees you a seat in the business class car, though not any particular seat, just that seating is reserved for you. Also the business class ticket includes a small snack served onboard.

Study the Amtrak web site for child fares when accompanied by an adult fare, and for round-trip offers.

Personally I believe it's going to be too hard to try to "leave Disneyland at a certain hour" to get over to the train station and on to San Diego that night, and you're already going to be extremely tired from a day at Disneyland. I would not attempt to take the train the same day you are going to Disneyland. I would stay in a hotel overnight in Anaheim and take a morning train from Anaheim to San Diego.

The Amtrak station in Anaheim is in the parking lot of the Anaheim Stadium or whatever it's called now. The trip from Anaheim will be about 2 hours, with intermediate stops in Santa Ana, Irvine, San Juan Capistrano, Oceanside, Del Mar and finally San Diego. A couple of the trains each day also stop at San Clemente, but most pass through San Clemente without stopping.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

FYI, the train no longer stops in Del Mar, the station was closed in the 1990's. The nearest station is at Solana Beach to Del Mar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solana_Beach_(Amtrak_station)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

I am not actually need to stop in the middle. I just have two days in San Diego. I will go straight from Disneyland to San Diego downtown. My only concern is that if I can get on a train any time of the day. I will be in Disneyland the day before. Then, may be half a day more, then, go to San Diego. So, I may need to go either early in the morning or mid afternoon. I don't like coach/bus. I like to ride Amtrak. Also, I need to take Amtrak from San Diego to Union Station (Los Angeles). Could anyone tell if I need to book Amtrak ticket in advance too? I don't mind to pay/book ticket in advance, but the problem is I don't know when i can leave, either in Anaheim or San Diego.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

The Pacific Surfliner train runs frequently between Los Angeles and San diego, and yes, you can buy the tickets the day of travel at the train station. The Anaheim,San Diego, and L.A stations are all staffed Amtrak stations open from morning til late night. There is also ticket vending machines in those stations you can buy the Amtrak tickets from the day of travel.

again, www.amtrak.com will tell you the train's schedule and you can see how much your trip will cost as well there.

6. Re: Amtrak train from disneyland to san Diego downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, June 19, 2013