We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Trip Report: DL/Candy Cane

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Trip Report: DL/Candy Cane

I went to DL this Saturday with my 2-year-old son. My wife was having a get-together at the house, and told me we had to find somewhere else to be. Since we have Annual Passes, it was an easy decision.

We drove down from Fresno after work on Friday. We checked in to Candy Cane Inn around 10:30pm. Room, as always, was great. The beds have nice comforters, 3 pillows with matching shams, plus 2 pillows with regular pillow cases. The only reason I even metion it, is because I used them to keep my son from rolling off the bed in the middle of the night.

The continental breakfast was great (and free). They have: 3 kinds of cold cereal, hot cereal, toast (butter, jelly, peanut butter), apples, oranges, bananas, muffins, danish, donuts, 3 kinds of bagels, 3 kinds of cream cheese, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, orange juice, apple juice.

Having been told by the desk clerk that DL opened at 8am, we made sure we were there by 7:45. The desk clerk was wrong. The park didn't open until 9am. It all worked out though, because I had forgotten my sunglasses, so it gave us a chance to walk back and get them.

We we arrived back at 8:30am they were letting people in to Main Street. At 9am, they opened the rest of the park (except ToonTown that opened at 9:30am). The nice thing was that, since I was with my son, I didn't have to worry about waiting in line for all of the E-tickets, because he can't go on them anyway.

We headed straight for the Buzz Lightyear right. 2 minute wait. Then the Astro Orbiters. 5 minute wait. Then Autopia. 15 minute wait.

Then we headed over to ToonTown. Walked through Mickey's house, then waiting a few minutes to see him. They waited 15 minutes to see Minnie. Minnie was great. My son had his Autopia drivers license in his shirt pocket. Minnie took it out, kissed it, then put it back in his pocket. We had our own camera, but those darn DL photographers caught a great shot of Minnie and my son rubbing noses. Had to buy it.

We then headed over to DCA to try and see a couple of the new attractions (Turtle Talk with Crush & Monsters Inc).

While waiting to get in, I had pulled out my Annual Pass, so my son pulled his Autopia license out. When we went throught the gate, the Cast Member scanned my Pass, I then told me son to show her his ticket. The great Cast Member took his ticket and pretended to scan it for him.

We headed over to Monsters Inc and discovered a 55 minute wait. It was nearing lunch, but we decided to wait anyway. 15 minutes in to our wait, they annouced that the ride had shut down.

We went to lunch. Had Taste Pilots Grill. I love the Burger with Bleu Cheese & Steak Sauce. I also like that you can load it up with all of the fixings (lettuce, onions, tomato, etc) that you want.

We ended up going back and waiting the 55 (actually closer to 45) minutes for Monsters Inc. An ok ride for kids. Similar to the "dark rides" at DL (Peter Pan, Snow White, etc.)

Turtle Talk with Crush is great. It is inside the Animation Building. It plays every 30 minutes. Crush actually talks to members of the audience and answers questions.

By then it was nap time, so he slept and I had a milkshake. (I was heading for the Margarita stand, but the milkshake stand caught my eye. After my son woke up, we played a few carnival games. If you have a little one, play the fishing game. It's only $2 and you win everytime. We then went on King Triton's Carousel.

We then headed back over to DL and rode the DL Railroad. We then had dinner at Cafe Orleans. Then rode the Pooh ride...twice.

Then headed over to get our pictures on Main Street. It was nearing parade time (7pm) and Main Street was packed, so after we got our pictures we headed over to Small World area. Found an ok spot to watch the parade. We stayed around the same area for the Fireworks. It was crowded during the parade, but then everyone cleared out. There was lots of room during the fireworks. You don't quite the same effect as being in front of the castle, but it was still magical. (Except for a 2-year-old that's afraid of them. Thought he had grown out of that. Guess not.)

All in all it was a very relaxed trip. Kind of nice. No pressure to do anything. (Except get a picture with Mickey. My son has a picture with Mickey from everytime he's been at DL).

Okay. Shouldn't have called this a "Quick Trip Report".

Level Contributor
37,213 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Trip Report: DL/Candy Cane

So glad you enjoyed your trip. We had a very pleasant time at DL in November, right before Thanksgiving. Thanks so much for the report! :)

bend, oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Trip Report: DL/Candy Cane

Wonderful report. My youngest daughter will turn 2 on the last day we plan to be in DL, which is end of next march..so its nice to know that your son enjoys his day!

Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Trip Report: DL/Candy Cane

Great report-I arrive there Saturday from Australia.Can't wait!Am going to stay at Fairfield Inn this time for 3 nites then drive to Vegas.The count downs on!