We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costco Southern California City Pass

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Costco Southern California City Pass

I spoke with Costco.com in January 2011 regarding availability of the Southern California City Pass through their website. My trip was not until June of 2011 so I was not in a hurry to buy; but was ready to, if I had to, at the time. Representative stated that this was a regular stocking item and would be available throughout 2011. Went to Costco.com last week to purchase passes and the website stated that the passes were not available. Contacted Costco.com and they stated they were out of stock, not officially discontinued, but they also could not verify whether the passes would be available again any time in 2011.

Anyone have any insight into what is going on or if there are any stores that still carry them? I have contacted stores within Colorado and they state that they are not availabe within any Colorado stores. Even any insight into why costco.com is not currently carrying them or what anyone has heard about the future status would be greatly appreciated. I tried to get details from the costco.com representatives and they said they basically could tell me nothing more than they didn't have them and didn't know if they'd ever have them again.

Thanks in advance,

ATCMickey

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

I work for Costco, so I have some insight on why they may not be available at costco.com or even in the warehouses (we don't call them stores).

Our computers tell us if something is out of stock, whether it's on order, pending delete (meaning it's going away) or inactive (means we are not currently carrying). If costco.com doesn't show any of the passes on order in their computer system, the employee is going to be honest with you and tell you that he/she has no current information on the status of the item and whether the item will be available again or not. That is, until the buyer secures another supply from the vendor. That none on order in the system could change tomorrow (ok, Monday, since our buyers are usually off weekends) and the item could show back up on the website. (Sometimes the vendor can't secure the item for us or they raise the price, which becomes a non-value to our shoppers)

I have researched the city passes for others interested in them, but I found very few warehouses that had them available and, if memory serves me right, those locations were in Northern California.

I'll be happy to take a brief look tomorrow in my computer at work and report back what I find.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,428 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

i noticed a few weeks ago costco stopped showing them available on their website, but in jan they did have the 2011 ones on their website. as you said.,

it may be possible they may still have them at your local costco, sometimes the store operator just doesnt know they have them in store,even when they have stopped carrying them online, i have had that happen a few times, you might want to check at the actual stores in your area.

i have not heard any info about why they would have pulled them from their inventory so i guess its anyones guess, but since you have a while before you would need to purchase i would just wait and see.

they have usually had them in the las vegas costcos

Edited: 6:01 pm, March 12, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

Kibblesmom...thanks for your offer of assistance. Any insight or advice you could provide on whether it's worth it to wait would be greatly appreciated. I'd be happy to wait to purchase them from Costco if there is a reasonable expectation that they'll come back available. If it looks like there's a good chance they won't, then I'll just get them direct from City Pass now rather than risk them raising their prices and this whole thing costing me even more. Again, thanks for your reply!

Happytotrip...I actually have gone directly into several stores (warehouses :-)) in hopes that I might find just what you alluded to. Unfortunately, none of them in Colorado so far actually carry them any more. They all have said that they used to but that it's all been moved to costco.com. Actually, went into one today and they told me that their computers said that Costco.com had them available...but when I entered in the product codes they told me to check, the costco.com website just gave me the same "product not available" message I had previously received.

Long story short, I'm just hoping to find a "I'd wait...there's a pretty good chance we'll get more" or a "things don't look good" advice from someone in the know and I'll act accordingly. Thanks again for your feedback!

ATCMickey

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,428 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

the new prices for the socalpass 2011 came out in jan, so you might as well wait and see what costco is going to do

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

Ok. Right now there aren't any of our warehouses carrying the City Pass. I checked every region in the country and no one has them. It is still showing active for costco.com, but there are currently none on order.

There are several possibilities of what's going on:

1) The item had an expiration date that was fast approaching and the warehouses and costco.com sold through their on-hand supplies

2) A new City Pass is being negotiated with the vendor and may reappear at a later date

3) The item wasn't a big mover and is being discontinued

4) The vendor wanted to raise the price to a point that our buyer did not feel was a value to our members.

So.... I suggest checking with costco.com every couple of days to see if it reappears. I'll check on occasion, myself, and, if I see anything, I'll send you a PM. (Unless our other responders here would like to know, as well, and, if so, I'll post back to this thread)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,428 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

definately post back here please kibblesmom, alot of people will want to know that info, thanks.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

Alrighty, then. I will.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

Thanks so much for checking Kibblesmom!...I really appreciate it.

ATCMickey

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

I was also checking on the Costco prices for the City Pass, but was unable to find any info on it while it is unavailable. Can anyone tell me what the savings is when purchasing through Costco? How about AAA?

Thanks~

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,428 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costco Southern California City Pass

there are not many discounts available for the pass, the one for costco was $259 for adults and $209 for children for 2011 so its a substantial discount, AAA does not offer a discount for the socal pass that im aware of,

mousesavers is a good website that lists current discounts available for attractions, here is their socal pass page

www.mousesavers.com/socalpasses.html#citypass