We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking for the handicapped question

Santa Rosa, Ca
9 posts
Save Topic
parking for the handicapped question

I will be traveling to Disneyland with my mother-in-law, husband and children in December and she cannot walk or stand for long periods. While in the park she will have a ECV, but the walk back to the hotel has me concerned. We will probably stay at The Park Place Inn. Is it wiser to use the handicapped spaces in the Disneyland parking lot or to walk from the hotel? Or is it better to possibly get a hotel farther away, but with a shuttle?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
342 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking for the handicapped question

Park Place is not too bad of a walking distance, but I can see it potentially being difficult for your mother-in-law. It depends on how long of a period she can walk/stand on her own.

Personally, I'd drive in and use handicapped space, if you will already have a car. Taking a shuttle will accomplish the same thing, they will drop you off in close to the same spot that you will be in for the handicapped parking (assuming she has handicapped placard for car and will be able to park there?).

Only the parking lot tram and certain Anaheim public tranportation vehicles are permitted to pull up to the drop-off points next to the park. All other vehicles (shuttles, cars dropping of friends, etc) have to drop off in the parking structure, and the guests then take a tram.

The downside is that you will have to pay parking, though I think it will be easier for your mother-in-law than walking. Especially when on vacation, I always try to make things as easy as possible. Hope it works out for you!

Santa Rosa, Ca
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: parking for the handicapped question

Thanx resaben. I have never used the lot so was unsure of distance. Your reply is very appreciated.

strathmore
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: parking for the handicapped question

I can sympathize with your mom's situation. I am a below the knee amputee wearing a prosthetic leg. I actually do better moving along than standing still for any length of time. From all the info I have gathered on the forum, here is what we have decided to do.

We are renting a car from the airport instead of doing the shuttle thing, this way I can get directly in the car instead of hanging around for a shuttle every day in front of the hotel (as well as at the airport) I realize that the shuttles come quite frequently but even a 15 min wait standing still can make a difference to someone with a handicap.

We are staying at the Annabella (in a ground floor room) where I think we can park the car quite close to the door of our room (maybe even directly in front). This makes a huge difference to me. In the past while on vacation at other places we have stayed in highrise hotels and the walk thru the lobby and down long corriders to our room at the end of a long busy day did me in.

We are buying an annual pass and staying 10 days so that we can spread it out and go in and out as we feel fit.

I will try the first day without the handicapped scooter and see if it is too much for me, from all accounts there is a monstrous amount of walking involved so I will probably end up with a scooter, hopefully it won't be hard to navigate thru the crowds.

We will also do the reserve seating thing for Fantasmic and stay afterwards for the fireworks as there is no way I can stand for hours to reserve our spot.