We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

We are planning a trip to the US in Dec/Jan this year, but I am not sure which Disney to go to - any ideas which twin 7yo's would enjoy more?

scotland
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

We have been to both and I'd say this is a complete no-brainer - go to Florida

THe California parks are in original sites beside the towns and get a lot of local teenagers

The Florida parks are on a massive scale in purpose built areas with a more holiday\touristy atmosphere

This goes for both Universal and Disney

AS a state I think California has much more to offer than Florida but with kids your age id definately recommend Florida for the kiddy-oriented theme parks

Come back and do California in a few years time

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

Hello fellow West Aussie.

I have now been to both in the last two years and although I dont have a kids and Im not sure of your age i will have to say - Anaheim Disneyland.

Both places are great but everything in Disneyland / California Adventure is so much easier to get around and see.

If your considering going to Florida you will have another (dont quote me)5hour flight from LA (just guessing here) after close too a day of travelling already. Dont underestimate this, even adults want to scream at the end of this journey alone.

Its so easy in Anaheim to walk or take your hotel shuttle to / from the parks anytime u like. If you stay onsite at Disneyworld this isnt as easy as you have to wait for your bus and this takes a while depending on your resort. If you stay offsite, its pretty costly to take your families to the parks, but on the upside if you stay on International drive you can get to Universal/Seaworld/The outlets stores easily on the tourist tram.

Its hard to give you the pros without knowing how long u plan to stay and if you have any interest other than disney. From Anaheim you can go to the next suburb and go to Knotts Berry Farm - a cheaper theme park to visit but great scary rides, or universal in hollywood where u can see working sets or Hollywood and Vine where the oscars are held.

Orlando had lots of theme parks and great adventures too but too me Disneyland is where it all began and to be honest the weather is more like ours. We celebrated our honeymoon in Orlando in Feb and we had to wear gloves it was soo cold.

Personal message me if you want a more info - i researched each trip like i was gathering army intelligence.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

I agree with your fellow Aussie.

Anaheim is where it all began, & has most of the good stuff from Orlando's 4 parks in the 2 parks there. I would guess the weather would be better at that time of year as well in Southern California. Knotts Berry Farm & Universal are both worth visiting. Magic Mountain may be a bit too scary for your 7 year olds, but you could go to San Diego for the zoo & Sea World.

Travelling all that way to the East Coast, I would go in Spring or Autumn (Northern Hemisphere) & add a trip to New York. We have taken our 9 year old the last 2 years (1st time he was 7) he loved it as much as us. We then flew to Orlando for the parks.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

Hi,

There are a few past threads asking this same question. Try your question or a variation of it in the search box for the Anaheim Forums, which is about the listing of topics, and you should find lots of answers. I'm sure you will get more answers here, though.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,721 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

It depends on your iteniary

Orlando is mainly a theme park destination with 4 main Disney parks as well as the Disney waterparks, 2 Universal parks and then Busch garden range of parks.

There is also shopping with several malls and many outlet malls.

Magic Kingdom is several times the size of Disneyland.

That said LA and California has overall more to offer than Orlando. The LA area also has its own share of theme parks ranging from Universal, Disneyland, Knotts Berry, Magic Mountain.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,504 posts
5,363 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

If you are concerned about which Disney the 7 years old will enjoy, then the answer is

either. I have been a 7 year old at Disneyland in Anaheim and had a wonderful time. I have also been to Disneyworld. Since I saw Disneyland first in Anaheim, that is the real Disneyland to me and I enjoy the one in Anaheim the best. Here is a post of someone who just visited who posted on the forum (its part of their trip report).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k275855…

Its in the middle section and will give you an idea why both are great fun. There is no clear cut answer.

Enjoy your trip.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

I think this is a comparison of California VS Florida really. If you're going in Dec/January...the humidity of Florida won't be much of an issue, because in August I would say California definetly. That Florida humidity wears me out!

So, then you say, well, 5 parks or more, versus only two. I say, yes, but, in Dec/January, you cross out the water parks in Florida, because it's too cold. So you're down to 3 parks in Florida or 2 parks in California. In Florida, you also have Universal Studios and Sea World and etc....

In California you also have Universal Studios and Sea World and etc....

Which is the easier route to travel to? Which is closer to home, cheaper flights, easier transportation to and from the parks? Those are the questions I'd ask before making a final decision :)

....thought I was going to leave it unanswered, but I've been to both parks too, and at 7 yrs old, I vote Disneyland California!! Not as overwhelming, original Disney charm and magic, and great California weather that time of year. Add in Knotts Berry Farm, about 5 miles away, and Sea World or the Zoo in San Diego and you've got a great American Vacation!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

Here in the US all schools and many businesses are closed from a few days before Christmas to Jan 2. People take vacations or host out of town guests. Most touristy places are pretty crowded, so if you can plan away from that week you will have an easier go of things.

LA weather in Dec/Jan can vary from 15c and rain to 25c and sunny on a day to day basis. Flying to FL directly from Oz will be a lot of time on planes and airports...flying time from LA to Orlando is similar to Perth-SYD.

If you are in LA on New Years Day the Tournament of Roses Parade is something to consider. Some spectators make an event of claiming a patch of sidewalk and camping out all night...there are also packaged tours that bus you to the parade and have reserved grandstand seating. It will be an early morning for your 7yo though.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

I would say Disneyland for a first time visit - it's much more manageable size-wise and there's PLENTY to keep your seven y.o's eyes popping!

We just took our 6 and 9 year olds there for their first visit and found plenty to see and do even though we had a 6-day Park Hopper pass. (Reccommend getting a park hopper pass - get 3 days at very least!) There are two parks there now - the original Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure (DCA) - about 100 meters walk to get from one to the other so very easy to park hop.

We have done WDW in Florida too (not with kids) and it's really a whole different scenario - it's HUGE - i.e you can't walk between the parks like at DL, and people go there for a whole holiday experience - you'd want to spend a week there at least really.

For a good comparison of WDW and DL by lots of experts who have visited both, check out www.disboards.com, scroll down to Disneyland California and check out the sticky threads that compare the two.

DL in California is the original, Walt Disney vision and if you were raised on "The Wonderful World of Disney" on TV in the 1970's or if you or the kids are fans of Disney/Pixar movies, you'll love it.

As well as the two parks, there are lots of parades, fireworks and great stage shows (don't miss "Aladdin" in Disney's California Adventure Park - DCA)

denver, co
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld?

I would need more info before I could answer completely. How long are you planning to stay in US and where else are you planning to go? How long do you want to devote to Disney? World you need a Minimum of a week to experience (more is better), Disneyland you can experience in 3 days (more is better).