We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single mum traveller

Gold Coast...
1 post
Save Topic
single mum traveller

Am single parent travelling with 16,14 and 6 year old. First time o/s. On a very tight budget and don't know where to start looking for accom and sightseeing musts. Arriving early Dec 05 in LAX and wanted to spend xmas in New York. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there? Does anyone have any ideas or tips or any information that might be useful?

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: single mum traveller

First, let's talk about New York. Christmas is one of the busiest and most expensive times to visit. Rooms are scarce and the room rates jump up as much as 100% or more from November to December. That said, please arrange for your New York accommodations IMMEDIATELY.

You do not specify the gender of your children so it's hard to tell how many rooms you will need. If all of your children are female, you could get a double at the grand Hyatt (next to Grand Central Terminal on 42nd street) for $149/night + tax.

If you're children are different genders such that you need at least 2 separate sleepling rooms, then I would recommend a "suite hotel' It's hard to find availability in the suite hotels during the weekend of Christmas. Would you settle for close to Christmas but not on Dec 24 or Dec 25? It will be virtually impossible to get a reasonable suite on those days. If you're ok with "close to" Christmas, I recommend you book at the Radio City Apartments (radiocityapartments.com). This hotel is a converted apartment building and features 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom apartments. All apartments have an additional queen-size convertible sofa (sofa that converts to a queen-size bed) in the living room.

At present, the Radio City has only 1-bedroom apartments available and they are only available on Dec 19 through Dec 23. There are two kinds of 1-bedroom arrangements:

1. A bedroom with a double bed in it plus a queen-size sofa bed in the living room.

2. A bedroom with 2 double beds in it plus a queen-size sofa bed in the living room.

You wil probably need the second configuration. Either room is $205 per night (trust me, that's a great deal in New York, especially in Times Square). That's for four nights (5 days).

I would suggest booking a New York hotel NOW and then post a new message and we'll give you info about L.A. hotels and "must sees" in both cities.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: single mum traveller

We are doing tnearly the exact same trip. DL in early Dec then spending Christmas and the New Year in NYC and then we head back to San Francisco and the coast. We booked back in April and still did not get our first choice for NYC so I would get organised on the NY hotel straightaway. We are staying at The Salisbury which is pretty reasonably priced for NYC and in a pretty accessible location. For DL hotels I think Howard Johnsons, Carousel Inn, Fairfield Inn or Best Western Park Place Inn are all pretty good places to stay. You will get the best advice here on this website so just starting aksing questions. Head over to the NYC forum and ask away!

For any other DL related questions head to the discussion boards over at www.laughingplace.com.......they are brilliant.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single mum traveller

^^^^oops sorry about the typos....where is the edit button when you need it LOL!!

BRISBANE
Level Contributor
209 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: single mum traveller

I am doing nearly the same trip. I am fortunate enough that costs are not much of an issue, but I found the best deals on the net. I then checked against the reports on this site. I am staying at the Marriott Residence Inn at $149/night for a 2 bedroom suite - if your budget can afford then not a bad option. Not a close to Disney as some but does offer a free shuttle, free breakfast and free evening snack 4 nights/week. Each room also has a full kitchen which could assist in costs. I have also hired a car as it worked out cheaper than using transfers, as we are also spending time in San Deigo and LA, as well as Las Vegas. Hope this is some help.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California