We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Disneyand

brazil
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Hotel near Disneyand

I am spending 5 days in Anaheim during next Christmas (23 to 28 ). i will be travelling with my husband and 2 sons (ages 13 and 15 ) . We want to visit Disneyland, California Adventure (3 days for both), Knott´s (1 day) and one of San Diego parks (1 day) .We will rent a car.

Is the Crowne Plaza Fullerton too far ? will it be incovenient to drive to the parks every day ?

Do you advise me any other hotel ?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,817 posts
6,430 reviews
1. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

You can drive from Fullerton to Anaheim in about 20 minutes (give or take some minutes if heavy traffic.).

If you got a good deal on line, it is fine to stay at.

If not, there are lots of hotels closer to Disneyland especially if you plan to spend 3 days there.

You will need to deal with the parking fee, shuttle to and from the park when you drive. its doable but this can take 45 minutes or so once you get to the park (and again at night.) (Note: Even local hotels will take 20-25 minutes to get to and from the park.).

For additional suggestions, a good source is the Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel Listing:

…go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/gnh/landing…

there are of course the Disney Resorts which if they are in your budget is the absolute best place to stay for your Disney vacation.

…go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/overview…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

The Residence Inn Maingate is a good option if you don't mind walking to the park. It's a short walk of less than 10 mins and the hotel has lots of free parking. We walked to the parks daily with our 11 and 8 year olds and they had no trouble. It's also serviced by the ART shuttle should you want to ride the bus to the parks instead.

The hotel includes a complimentary breakfast which is great to start the day, and also has a pool and sports court which might interest your sons. Rooms are very large with a separate bedroom and a full kitchen. There are also BBQs in the gardens for guests to use.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

How different is Disneyland HK from Disneyland US?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

Hong Kong Disneyland is a lot smaller and has a lot less attractions than the Original Disneyland in Anaheim.

Also, Anaheim is now a true Resort, with 2 different parks, a shopping mall and hotels.

If you want to rank the different Disney resorts/parks.

1. Tokyo - Just an amazing place, 2 FULL Parks, and the Oriental Land Company knows that quality brings in the fans, so some of the best attractions can be found here.

2. Orlando - Just the size and amount of parks place this second. Also, other choices in and around WDW, such as Universal Orlando and SeaWorld make this a destination by itself.

3. Anaheim - While it has the CLASSIC - Disneyland, its second park is not as nice (but being worked on), the entire SoCal area, including other attractions, beaches, shopping is a major plus.

4. Paris - This resort was a bit overbuilt originally (especially the hotel division) and maybe Disney should have picked Spain instead, but the main park is very well done, and Disney has learned that things in Europe cannot be just like they are in America (or Japan). Its second park is pretty much a joke, but was required to be built due to its deal with the French Government when the first park got special tax breaks years ago.

5. Hong Kong - Basically a deal Disney couldn't resist, a lot of government money is invested in the park. Alas, Disney decided they could build "Disneyland Light" instead of a full park, and so far, the visitors have realized that. Heck, one of the long term parks in the area, Ocean Park has better attendance than HK Disneyland. And the shared control with the government has caused some issues with planned expansion of the park.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,527 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

mptravel89,

Fullerton is too far away from Disneyland Resort, especially for a multi-day visit to the DLR parks during a busy time. Stay at a hotel in Anaheim Resort (which surrounds Disneyland Resort) or a hotel just south of Anaheim in Garden Grove (on Harbor Blvd).

If you would like something similar to the quality of a Crowne Plaza, there is the Sheraton Park and the Doubletree Inn, both in Anaheim Resort. Additionally, there is a Crowne Plaza in Garden Grove. The Embassy Suites South, in Garden Grove, has large suites and offers a free fully cooked breakfast for each guest for each day of your stay. All of these hotels use the Anaheim Resort Transit shuttle (which does not go to Fullerton), which has day pass transportation to DLR for $3 per day ($8 for 3 days) per person. The Sheraton Park has the closest walk. Some people like to walk from the Sheraton Park or the Doubletree Inn and then take the ART shuttle back. The Hyatt Hotel near DLR in the Anaheim Resort has it's own free shuttle to DLR.

Howard Johnson's Plaza Hotel is the nicest hotel across the street from Disneyland, with a short walk, and there is no parking fee. It's not as nice as a Crowne Plaza or Sheraton, though.

With two teenage sons, who may want large breakfasts, the Embassy Suites may be a good idea.

May I suggest that you do not rent a car until you are ready to visit San Diego or Knott's. There are rental agencies in the Anaheim Resort, for instance, Hertz Rental Car, and you can rent for one or two days. Additionally, you can very easily get to Knott's by taking the Metro #460 bus from Disneyland to Knott's. It a lengthy service schedule and can get you there in about 25 min. (If staying at Howard Johnson's you will be very close to the bus stop.) The bus fare for the Metro #460 is $1.85 each way for each of you.

To get to your hotel from the airport - and back again - you can take the Disneyland Express shuttle that goes to the Anaheim Resort hotels and Garden Grove hotels as well. It serves LAX and SNA airports. The round trip fare is around $30 per person, which works out to be about $60 each way for the four of you. You can compare that to what you are considering paying for a rental car and see what you think. Be careful to check to see if the service hours match with your schedule.

http://graylineanaheim.com/airport_info.cfm

Besides the cost of the car and the insurance, limiting the days you rent will save on money on parking fees at the hotel and/or at the parks. Hotel parking fees can be anywhere from $10 to $18 a day. The parking fee at Disneyland Resort is $12 a day and at Knott's it is $11 a day. (Maybe $12 now.) There is a parking fee at Sea World, but none for the San Diego Zoo.

Just a note, when I last checked the reviews I noticed that the Crowne Plaza in Garden Grove does charge a "resort fee" whether or not you have a car, which covers parking, snacks, and coupons for their restaurant.

Hope this helps.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,527 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

I just want to throw this bit of advice in regarding what day to visit Knott's. Just in case you don't know, Knott's has a tradition of closing on Christmas Day so that their employees may spend the holiday with family. So, you will want your itinerary around that closure. Knott's may also close earlier on Christmas Eve, than on other days of the week. However, it's a good place to be on Christmas Eve since some of their Christmas shows don't continue after Christmas Day. Additionally, they have holiday craft booths and carolers up through Christmas Eve, which will both be gone on Dec. 26th. My advice would be to visit Knott's on the 24th and Disneyland on the 25th. Expect crowds at Disneyland any time during your visit. Expect a more leisurely visit, less crowds, at Knott's. Ask either Darkbeer or me if you would like more information on the Christmas shows at Knott's.

brazil
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
7. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!!

Regarding to the CP Fullerton, I imagined that it wouldn´t be very convenient for us because of the distance .

I was taking a look at Hyatt Garden Grove which is my favorite. They have a 2 bedroom-2bathroom suite that would be perfect for us .The problem is the price...

Cheaper options would be the Hilton Suites (at North State College Blvd.) and the Doubletree Guest Suites (at Harbor Boulevard). Can anyone tell me if the SUITE ( bedroom and 1 living room ) in these hotels are in good size and if they are new or renovated ? Do they have transportation to the parks ?

I loved the information about Knott´s. I have been there in 1980 !! and now i am bac with my kids... Actually they have researched in travel books and choosed to go to Knott´s!

Regarding to the car, actually Anaheim is my destination after Las Vegas and before Los Angeles . I have rented the car for 2 weesks . As you can have a good deal with weekly rentals, it´s better to keep the car the whole period than renting and returning it, even if it will be parked some days.

brazil
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
8. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

Elektra,

I can´t tell anything about DL Hong Kong . I have never been there.

I have been in DL Paris which i liked very much ( 2 parks, some hotels ... but we were in a hotel in Paris that s 30 minutes away by train). The Nemo´s ride - Crush´s Coaster - is simpy WONDERFUL.

Have fun !

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,527 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

Doubletree Inns have one bedroom and a living area with a couch (not sure if it is converts into a bed. The Doubletree on Katella is closer. I'm not sure where the Doubletree on Harbor is, though. Is it on Harbor near Chapman. This is the area of Garden Grove you want to stick to, if so. The one on Katella is a new property, about a year or two old. Most hotels inside Anaheim Resort are old properties.

North State College is too far away from Disneyland Resort.

There are some suite hotels within walking distance to Disneyland Resort, some not charging parking fees. If you are interested in those, let us know, and you should get some suggestions. Fairfield Inn is the one directly across from the Main Entrance Gate. Also, I remember reading that the Howard Johnson's hotel is going to have some suites opening, but don't know when.

Disneyland Resort borders Harbor to the east, Katella to the south and Ball Rd. to the North. Harbor. For maximum convenience look for hotels within that area. Ball Rd. is convenient to the DLR parking lot, but not to walk to DLR. Also, in Garden Grove, hotels on Harbor around Chapman, a little north or a little south.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,527 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Hotel near Disneyand

I said most hotels around Disneyland are old properties; I meant renovated hotels using old property. All are updated.

Many of the hotels in Garden Grove are newer properties.